Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 11:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

What is wrong with India? Why are there so many sexually violent men?
1 in 3 college boys in the United States would rape a girl if they knew they could get away with it. I don't think the country is the problem.

https://thinkprogress.org/1-in-3-col...-ffa7406b9778/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 11:11 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
1 in 3 college boys in the United States would rape a girl if they knew they could get away with it. I don't think the country is the problem.

https://thinkprogress.org/1-in-3-col...-ffa7406b9778/
That's not news; similar studies were done in the 90's. But ok, let's discuss why so many men anywhere are potentially sexually violent.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Let's not get too proud of our demographics when 10% of the kids (and ONE IN FIVE GIRLS) in this country are sexually assaulted - 75% of whom are assaulted by somebody they know.

Nobody and no country is winning the "we don't have any child rape" contest.

Hell, just became illegal to rape your wife in 1996 in all 50 states.
I am talking about children and abusers in this country. Specifically, talking from my experience, the jurisdiction in which I have worked.

Old 08-18-2017, 11:43 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,580,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Thank you. Everytime something like this happens the American posters get all righteous. India has several times the population of America, several times... like 5x. The incidence of sexual violence in India is on the order of one every 20 minutes and Americans go ballistic and want to invade India and castrate every Indian male over 12. In America there is sexual violence against a woman every 6 minutes. Only some of that is committed by the expatriate immigrants from countries where women are not valued. Plenty of American sexual violence is home grown and it is just as abhorrent.

No, try 3X. Where have you read about anyone in any position of authority wanting to invade India and/or castrate any Indian male ??

Comparisons are inaccurate and useless. Rape is a very under-reported- especially in India where the cultural stigmas against women are more prevalent than the US. No need to get sensitive a crime is a crime and rape is traumatic in both India and the US.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:

That's not news; similar studies were done in the 90's. But ok, let's discuss why so many men anywhere are potentially sexually violent.
I've heard men say of rape victims, "They can just get an abortion." After a lifetime of observation, I think men in general have less empathy.

They look at a female and think about what they want from her, but not about the emotional pain or physical pain she will go through as a result. They have some empathy, but not enough to make the world safer for women and children.

I can remember being a young child and having this sudden realization about men. I thought, "They don't think of us as people."

Men are weird. They are capable to going to great lengths to help a woman they love, but these same men can turn around and say things about women that betray that they almost don't think of us as sentient beings.

I had an old boyfriend track me down recently. He had gotten into legal trouble and we had not spoken in over 30 years. He actually said to me, "You used to give me great advice, and I would never tell you that I followed your advice . . . because you were just a girl." And this was from someone who loved me?

The other thing that pisses me off, is that the men in my life think nothing about interrupting me. I can't even get one sentence out sometimes. I notice they don't do this to other men. Thank God, none of these are romantic relationships, or it would be over.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm not a lesbian.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I've heard men say of rape victims, "They can just get an abortion." After a lifetime of observation, I think men in general have less empathy.

They look at a female and think about what they want from her, but not about the emotional pain or physical pain she will go through as a result. They have some empathy, but not enough to make the world safer for women and children.

I can remember being a young child and having this sudden realization about men. I thought, "They don't think of us as people."

Men are weird. They are capable to going to great lengths to help a woman they love, but these same men can turn around and say things about women that betray that they almost don't think of us as sentient beings.

I had an old boyfriend track me down recently. He had gotten into legal trouble and we had not spoken in over 30 years. He actually said to me, "You used to give me great advice, and I would never tell you that I followed your advice . . . because you were just a girl." And this was from someone who loved me?

The other thing that pisses me off, is that the men in my life think nothing about interrupting me. I can't even get one sentence out sometimes. I notice they don't do this to other men. Thank God, none of these are romantic relationships, or it would be over.

Sometimes I wonder why I'm not a lesbian.

Speechlessness.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post

No, try 3X. Where have you read about anyone in any position of authority wanting to invade India and/or castrate any Indian male ??

Comparisons are inaccurate and useless. Rape is a very under-reported- especially in India where the cultural stigmas against women are more prevalent than the US. No need to get sensitive a crime is a crime and rape is traumatic in both India and the US.
Exactly.

And a huge difference between India and America is the attitude toward the victim. As the article mentioned, the child's family is ashamed of HER.

Let me repeat that. She is a child who is a victim of rape, unwanted impregnation, and having to go through birth with an immature body . . . but they are ashamed of HER.

No wonder women are far less likely to report rape in India.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:

Speechlessness.
Me too.

What was your favorite part?

Old 08-18-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Me too.

What was your favorite part?
I've been saying for a very long time that there's something wrong with the way boys are raised in our culture. Too many become arrogant and cocky in their late teens and 20's. Fortunately, they're not all that way; not all think of women as "not sentient beings". Not all have these hidden attitudes (that was one of the shockers for me, in your story). But why are there so many that do? Who is raising these people? Is this the result of a lack of parental involvement and guidance?

Also, the bit about the motor-mouth types, who interrupt constantly, and dominate the conversation. I didn't know that behavior was selectively deployed, toward only one gender. I always wondered how those types managed to have any friends. Maybe you're right; they save their listening skills for their peers, and other males. It's sad, though, because these are people who alienate their own family members; their own daughters, including. They seem to modulate that behavior to prevent their wives from leaving, lol.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Exactly.

And a huge difference between India and America is the attitude toward the victim. As the article mentioned, the child's family is ashamed of HER.

Let me repeat that. She is a child who is a victim of rape, unwanted impregnation, and having to go through birth with an immature body . . . but they are ashamed of HER.

No wonder women are far less likely to report rape in India.
I didn't see that in the article. I would certainly be afraid of the "stigma" in this situation, if this were my family. An uncle having sex with a 10 year old resulting in a pregnancy would be VERY embarrassing. Not that the girl is to blame, but certainly, a family in the US who had that happen would be stigmatized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events