Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 12:51 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times

Advertisements

There are kids on bikes, usually teenage boys, who will be riding in the street, look right at you as you're driving down it, and swerve right into the middle of the street and basically refuse to share the road. Little a**holes.

I recently was driving down my street, a very quiet and basically no traffic street with no houses on the other side, and a group of young kids, maybe around 8 years old or so, was walking with a few moms. One kid turned around, he looked me in the eye, and ran right in front of my car. I was driving very slowly, luckily, and stopped. His mother literally dragged him back to her side and started yelling at him, really going in on him. That one shook me for a little bit. The look in his eyes, he knew exactly what he was doing. I thought, someone better watch him as he grows up...

It sounds like the case in the OP was an accident on the kids' part but they still should be wearing the proper reflective clothing if they're going to be walking in the street. Link says it's an ordinance in the city.

This looks to be a pretty narrow road. https://www.google.com/maps/@30.6936...7i13312!8i6656 If the truck driver was telling the truth when he said a car was coming the other way and the headlights blinded him, then he probably would have been driving far to the side of the already narrow road. Maybe the kids should have been walking on the grass patches visible on street view rather than on the pavement. They're lucky they're alive.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:03 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Simple battery could be a street fight or something like that. The low bail indicates that it wasn't serious. There wasn't a weapon involved.
It's not anything I would do but it doesn't fall under thug. I know plenty of people who have punched someone in the face at the bar or over a girlfriend or disrespect.
You and I have different definitions of "serious".

It appears you know "plenty" of thugs. I do not know anyone who has ever assaulted someone, and someone who hits another person in the face is a thug.

Old 08-26-2017, 01:52 PM

430 posts, read 335,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
https://www.villeplattetoday.com/cop...rest-reports-6

Scroll down to see Mr Williams last arrest.
Two things.
1) What does ANY of their arrest records do with them being hit by a truck? It doesn't even matter, remotely, but it does say a whole lot about you in that you seem to be the type to quickly look for every and any reason to blame them. And, judging by your earlier comment, you sound kind of racist judging them harshly based on one thing and nothing but.

2) In my opinion and experience, it's pretty uncommon for people who don't do early morning/late night jogging or work in jobs that require it to own reflective clothing. In that case, there's no need. Why own a reflective jacket if I don't jog late nights? What's the point if I don't work in jobs that need it? Why should I (as a low income person speaking now) waste valuable money on a jacket that isn't cheap just to go to the corner store?

Like the kids are lucky they're alive, but it seems stupid to charge them considering they're already hit and hurt as is and know the driver isn't going to be charged. It's a messed up lesson, but charging them is just unnecessary.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Chris View Post
Two things.
1) What does ANY of their arrest records do with them being hit by a truck? It doesn't even matter, remotely, but it does say a whole lot about you in that you seem to be the type to quickly look for every and any reason to blame them. And, judging by your earlier comment, you sound kind of racist judging them harshly based on one thing and nothing but.

2) In my opinion and experience, it's pretty uncommon for people who don't do early morning/late night jogging or work in jobs that require it to own reflective clothing. In that case, there's no need. Why own a reflective jacket if I don't jog late nights? What's the point if I don't work in jobs that need it? Why should I (as a low income person speaking now) waste valuable money on a jacket that isn't cheap just to go to the corner store?

Like the kids are lucky they're alive, but it seems stupid to charge them considering they're already hit and hurt as is and know the driver isn't going to be charged. It's a messed up lesson, but charging them is just unnecessary.
Well, I would normally agree, but the town has an ordinance on wearing reflective clothing when necessary if walking in the street. So as long as the ordinance is normally enforced and this isn't some unusual situation here to charge them, I think it's quite fair and necessary that they're charged. I mean, the ordinance exists for this exact reason.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:10 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Quote:
Two things.

If the community has a law about reflective clothing I suspect there is a reason for it. Perhaps too many pedestrians are getting hit.

A reflective vest costs only a few bucks, less than a fast food meal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportline...&wl13=&veh=sem

If you are going to be walking in the road after dark, one is a good investment.

These are not "kids", by the way. They are old enough to know to be more careful.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:40 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You and I have different definitions of "serious".

It appears you know "plenty" of thugs. I do not know anyone who has ever assaulted someone, and someone who hits another person in the face is a thug.
Lol, I wouldn't call them thugs. I simply know a lot of working class people in Michigan who work in factories and drink a lot on the weekends. They have tempers and sometimes when they were younger, people get jacked in the jaw.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:41 PM

430 posts, read 335,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If the community has a law about reflective clothing I suspect there is a reason for it. Perhaps too many pedestrians are getting hit.

A reflective vest costs only a few bucks, less than a fast food meal.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportline...&wl13=&veh=sem

If you are going to be walking in the road after dark, one is a good investment.

These are not "kids", by the way. They are old enough to know to be more careful.
If they aren't kids, might be wise to change the title but I'm just going by that.

Also, if a lot of people are getting hit, we REALLY need to look at why instead of just telling them to "go buy a vest". Like that statement opens up more questions than an answer, for me. If so many people are getting hit that there is a legit law in place for this, we need to take a hard look at why in the hell people are getting hit all the time in the first place.

I'm someone who dislikes work arounds. Just get to the damn root of the problem and fix it there instead of putting bandaids on it.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:44 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Well, I would normally agree, but the town has an ordinance on wearing reflective clothing when necessary if walking in the street. So as long as the ordinance is normally enforced and this isn't some unusual situation here to charge them, I think it's quite fair and necessary that they're charged. I mean, the ordinance exists for this exact reason.
I tried to research if any other places has this law and I can't find one. If the town makes it the law, they should provide everyone a basic item like a vest.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
If they aren't kids, might be wise to change the title but I'm just going by that.

Also, if a lot of people are getting hit, we REALLY need to look at why instead of just telling them to "go buy a vest". Like that statement opens up more questions than an answer, for me. If so many people are getting hit that there is a legit law in place for this, we need to take a hard look at why in the hell people are getting hit all the time in the first place.

I'm someone who dislikes work arounds. Just get to the damn root of the problem and fix it there instead of putting bandaids on it.
Well, the road these guys got hit on is narrow. Looking around the area on maps, other roads seem to be narrow, too, with houses close to the road. It looks to be a rather run down and rural area so it's not surprising there are some narrow roads. There are also no sidewalks in that specific area, and many others that I'm seeing. It's probably easier for the town to enforce a safety law than it would be to find it in the budget to build sidewalks and proactively make it more safe. According to wikipedia, it's a rather poor town.

This may not be the right way to approach it, but it's also not right and quite stupid to walk down such a narrow road at dusk/night not wearing the proper clothes. But you can't fix stupid. You can, however, add sidewalks.

Old 08-26-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I tried to research if any other places has this law and I can't find one. If the town makes it the law, they should provide everyone a basic item like a vest.
Well that's an entitlement mentality if I've ever seen one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events