Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 07:54 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,954,113 times

Advertisements

Live in NYC but don't nor ever have smoked.

Being as that may only idiots and the naïve pay full retail NYC prices for tobacco products. There is a *HUGE* underground market for cigarettes/tobacco products to the extent if you know where to look, and you don't have to look far, you can find ciggies at one half to one-third retail prices.

Pennsylvania is a popular destination, but so is New Jersey and the Indian reservations upstate or out on Long Island.

Exclusive: Illegal cigarettes are big business in New York City | abc7ny.com

Bronx cigarette smuggling could be financing more than just fancy houses and jewels; police worry about terror funding | New York's PIX11 / WPIX-TV

Sheriff’s Department Cracks Down On Deli’s Selling Untaxed Contraband « CBS New York

https://www.villagevoice.com/2015/04...new-york-city/

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...or-bootlegging

You can take the PATH train just across the Hudson River to New Jersey (a less than ten minute trip depending upon where you live in Manhattan), and get smokes for around $9/per pack. Not a big difference if only buying a pack or two, but once you start going up into the carton or more range....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 09:23 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Can't get cigs online anymore. It was outlawed a few yrs ago. Put a DEEP cut in the Indian nation business.
Laws are as good as are enforced. I'm not advocating breaking any law (it would be stupid to do so on public forum), I doubt that black market won't find a solution to the problem when there's such a huge price difference between NYC and real cost of cigarettes. But then, anyone in NYC deserve that kind of government they have.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:16 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,669,274 times
Exclamation federal law allows online sales, but snitches on buyers to their home state

Just wait until the feds finally legalize pot, and we'll see the same set of action-reaction rules play out again, just in fast forward. Maybe a whole new generation of Americans will take up gardening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Quote:
Can't get cigs online anymore. It was outlawed a few yrs ago. Put a DEEP cut in the Indian nation business.
Laws are as good as are enforced. I'm not advocating breaking any law (it would be stupid to do so on public forum), I doubt that black market won't find a solution to the problem when there's such a huge price difference between NYC and real cost of cigarettes. But then, anyone in NYC deserve that kind of government they have.
Current federal law allows online sales, however the 2010 law makes it easier for states to collect taxes from online sales (PACT amendment to Jenkins Act 15 U.S.C. 375 – 378); States like PA and NY has been doing their best to try to crack down on this form of tax evasion, even going after individual purchasers for back taxes.

The unintended consequence of extremely high tobacco taxes is that this actually increases underage smoking -- the legitimization of "black market" channels for tobacco sales in the eyes of adult consumers also opens up these same channels for younger buyers:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobaccopolicycenter.org
Tobacco tax evasion severely undermines this goal. Sellers of tax-free tobacco, who are already breaking the law and typically operating outside the legally regulated supply chain, have little incentive to comply with laws banning underage sales. Teenagers and young adults with limited incomes are particularly affected by price; in fact, some studies have shown that children and teens are three times more sensitive to price than adults, a public health advantage that is lost when taxes are
evaded.
. . .
New Yorkers who are not members of a tribe often travel to Native American reservations specifically to purchase cheap, untaxed cigarettes.
Most tribal sellers have stopped mail order sales and can't get untaxed supplies of name-brands, but Seneca Nation and other res smoke shops near NY sell Native-made and Territory-made cigarettes for a tiny fraction of the full-tax price.

The higher the tax, the easier it is for people to convince themselves that tax evasion is justifiable.

Old 09-01-2017, 11:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
but i can still buy cigs in the next city over for way less
Just buy bootleg cigarettes at your local market. Anyone know the current price of bootlegs?

Old 09-02-2017, 06:49 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just buy bootleg cigarettes at your local market. Anyone know the current price of bootlegs?

I don't smoke, and I'm in London, U.K., but I asked around, and it seems to be about £4.00 ($5.18) per pack.
Though I was also told of recent Government advice, (possibly scare tactics), which said that illegally smuggled cigarettes from China and Eastern Europe, some being counterfeit, contained higher concentrations of arsenic, also rat droppings, possibly human excrement, 160% higher tar levels, 133% higher Carbon Monoxide, 6 times the amount of lead, 80% nicotine, and 5 times the amount of cadmium, boy, I'm glad that I don't have to think about that!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,248,805 times
Recall dad paying 15 cents a pack in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

When I took up the habit in 1958, it was 30 cents in the machine and 26-30 cents across the counter. And those prices stayed constant for a very long time after that.

And of course, the US Army provided cigarettes for free in our C-Rations.

I wonder if the military still does that?

Old 09-02-2017, 09:32 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by double6's View Post
$13 a pack and you'll still see homeless people with them between their fingers..how do they do that?
This shows the hypocrisy of liberalism......it's mostly the poor who smoke and that's who are hurt the most

Old 09-02-2017, 12:48 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Well.. we used to order them online but suddenly they could only cell cigars and pipe tobacco. I tried about 20 places... If you know of an online place that still can sell them.... clue me in?

Old 09-02-2017, 12:57 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,124,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Recall dad paying 15 cents a pack in the late 1940s and early 1950s.

When I took up the habit in 1958, it was 30 cents in the machine and 26-30 cents across the counter. And those prices stayed constant for a very long time after that.

And of course, the US Army provided cigarettes for free in our C-Rations.

I wonder if the military still does that?
I can remember walking to the store to buy them for my mom around 63/64 and they were .33 (in Ct).

Old 09-02-2017, 02:58 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,859,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
Not for everyone. My husband smokes the long ones... and he usually lights one up a few minutes after the last one. He can no longer do much so he sits on his computer all day and yes.. he can squeeze in all those smokes. The only time he goes longer in between is if the grandkids are here.
How is he getting his cigs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events