Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 10:43 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Time to either start ordering online, or grow your own... My father did, it ain't difficult.
Can't get cigs online anymore. It was outlawed a few yrs ago. Put a DEEP cut in the Indian nation business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I am so sick of the nanny state trying to control peoples behavior. Everybody in the world understands that cigarettes are bad for you, says so right on the pack. But we supposedly live in a "free" country and have the freedom to do as we please, regardless of how good or bad it is for us. IMO the government is just their to warn us of the dangers of our actions and then provide the freedom to do it anyways. That's what true freedom is all about, supporting the freedoms of those you disagree with.

Smoking is no worse for you than eating fast food all the time and being overweight, but for some reason smoking is stigmatized while being fat and unhealthy is "acceptable". It's all about what "society" says is acceptable or not, and I put NO stock into the ever changing whims of public opinion. Also, there's absolutely NO conclusive scientific evidence that secondhand smoke causes lung cancer or anything else. I'd be much more worried about the hundreds of cars and trucks driving by spewing toxic fumes into the air before I'd worry about some guy standing outside smoking a cigarette. Guess some people are just stupid.

Also, as lots of others have pointed out, this will just drive people to buy black market untaxed cigarettes or drive to another state with lower taxes. Or the people who don't care will just continue to buy them in NYC. This is nothing but a hollow victory for you "everybody MUST hate smokers and quit now" crowd.
Agreed. But... they are going after the overweight. They announced 3 or 4 yrs ago that they would use the exact same tactics they used to get cigarettes out of the way because it was so effective. (It wasn't gov't that announced it. It was some group of do good profs that know what's best for us)
They started with the oreos quite some time ago, remember? The big gulp drinks? They want higher taxes on junk food. Those fitbits and exercise bands a lot of people wear?..... They are data mining your personal info. Insurance companies want that info. So.. it's just a matter of time before that's fully in effect also.
We already have the thought police passing laws against using certain words (legitimate words) because someone somewhere might be offended.

Soylent Green is people.

Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 AM

782 posts, read 859,145 times
I quit cold turkey a while back, and couldn't be happier...but when I did smoke, I would actually hop on a PATH train at 34th St in NYC and take it a few stops to Jersey City where cigarettes were half the price. Since I worked near the station, it was barely a hassle to go and buy a a couple cartons for the month. Many people I know continue to go to Jersey for cigarettes. Some even take a monthly drive to Delaware. Its all kinda sad really...

Old 09-01-2017, 11:49 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Question passing laws against using certain words??

States can pass weird taxes if they like, and state residents can move to a less oppressive state if they object. I find Federal level "sin tax" much more objectionable, if only because it's harder to change jurisdictions to get away from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by writerwife View Post
We already have the thought police passing laws against using certain words (legitimate words) because someone somewhere might be offended.
Laws?

Old 09-01-2017, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
States can pass weird taxes if they like, and state residents can move to a less oppressive state if they object. I find Federal level "sin tax" much more objectionable, if only because it's harder to change jurisdictions to get away from.

Laws?
Here's one. If you don't like that site.. google.. you'll find others. It's only 1 at the moment... but it's a slippery slope.
Use wrong pronoun for transgender senior? California may punish you | Fox News

Old 09-01-2017, 03:44 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,595,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
You don't need to cross a bridge to get to the next city or out of NYC proper from many parts of NYC. Example, I'm currently 3 miles from the Westchester County border and cigarettes are $5 or more less per pack. Many people will go weekly or monthly and buy them by the carton.
Thanks for the education c h , I didn't think of counties, I'm au fait with the five boroughs, but I replied to the poster who said that he'd just go to another city for smokes.
When I think of cities in N.Y., I think of Albany, Buffalo, Rochester and Binghamton etc., so knowing that Fort Lee N.J. was just across the Hudson, I used that as an example, as I figured that was closest to Manhattan.
Yet I have friends in Malverne, Nassau County, and Lindenhurst, Suffolk County.

Old 09-01-2017, 03:59 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
When I see all the obesity in our country, I wonder why everyone picks on the smokers.

Tax the donuts.

Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I don't understand this schizophrenic mentality the government has toward smokers. They want people to smoke, but they also want us not to smoke. If the government doesn't want us to smoke (and they apparently do, obviously) they need to make smoking illegal. Otherwise, taxing cigarettes to $15 or $20 a pack is just punitive and wrong. Sure, smoking is a horrible habit and it is very unhealthy. So the government should ban it, not just continue to tax cigs higher and higher, especially since smoking is addictive.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:33 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,474,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I don't understand this schizophrenic mentality the government has toward smokers. They want people to smoke, but they also want us not to smoke. If the government doesn't want us to smoke (and they apparently do, obviously) they need to make smoking illegal. Otherwise, taxing cigarettes to $15 or $20 a pack is just punitive and wrong. Sure, smoking is a horrible habit and it is very unhealthy. So the government should ban it, not just continue to tax cigs higher and higher, especially since smoking is addictive.
I don't understand it either. Nobody presses our government to increase the taxes on alcohol. Maybe that's because they like their booze? Hypocrites abound.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:01 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I quit cold-turkey in 1979, not for health reasons but because I got tired of paying for them, and they were around $1 to $1.50/pk back then.
I hear ya. I quit when they hit .50 a pack, forget the year, but glad I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events