Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 04:09 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,627 times

Advertisements

This must be the systemic racism I keep hearing about. Just ask Eric Garner. Who controls NYC? Damn conservatives at it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 06:52 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,581,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Oh, it was very effective. We don't see too many smokers anymore. We don't smell them either, or see them huddled in doorways. We don't see cigarettes butts littering public sidewalks and roadways. Thousands of tobacco farms have closed down in Kentucky alone.

Government loves the power it has over us.
How are the big tobacco companies still having huge profits every year then? None of them are even close to being bankrupt, their stock is still performing great too..?

Old 09-29-2017, 07:19 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
This is great news for New Jersey.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:00 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How are the big tobacco companies still having huge profits every year then? None of them are even close to being bankrupt, their stock is still performing great too..?
Thousands of American farmers have stopped growing tobacco, but many haven't. There is still much profit to be made by selling tobacco and cigarettes overseas. Only in America, where the taxes are outrageously high, has tobacco use greatly declined. It's a global market for tobacco products.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:32 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Government isn't taxing cigarettes to end smoking. Government is taxing cigarettes to increase tax revenue. Sin taxes are easy taxes to impose and raise. No one really objects and whatever the "sin" is, the people with that vice are going to keep on doing it.

I don't have a lot of objection to sin taxes. After all, they are completely voluntary. You don't have to pay sin tax if you decide you don't want to pay it.

Not true with most other taxes. They are a lot harder to avoid.

Smokers have been so self-centered and obnoxious for so many multiple decades that they have long ago lost any public support of any kind. So they have brought the high taxes down on their own heads, with no one to speak out to defend them.

Old 09-29-2017, 05:49 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Government isn't taxing cigarettes to end smoking. Government is taxing cigarettes to increase tax revenue. Sin taxes are easy taxes to impose and raise. No one really objects and whatever the "sin" is, the people with that vice are going to keep on doing it.

I don't have a lot of objection to sin taxes. After all, they are completely voluntary. You don't have to pay sin tax if you decide you don't want to pay it.

Smokers have been so self-centered and obnoxious for so many multiple decades that they have long ago lost any public support of any kind. So they have brought the high taxes down on their own heads, with no one to speak out to defend them.

Really? Other taxes are harder to avoid? No they're not. And let's be clear, we're talking about sales taxes here, not income or property taxes.

That said, a tax imposed on ANY product purchased is easy to avoid by simply not purchasing it. Of course, those might be some things that you like.

And there's the rub: "sin taxes" are simply draconian taxes imposed upon products determined by the sanctimonious to be vices. All consumption taxes could be avoided by refusing to buy...anything.

No legal poduct shoud have "the hell taxed out of it." But then, that's the difference between conservatives and...oh, never mind.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:30 AM

15 posts, read 14,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Aren’t “sins” a violation of a religious code? Wouldn’t taxes on those be a violation of separation of church and state?

Taxing something to discourage use and increase revenue at the same time is counterproductive. When the revenue drops after they’ve been successful, they move on to tax something else. If Chicago hadn’t taxed smokes to oblivion, maybe they wouldn’t have felt the need to tax sugary drinks. Once the revenue they’ve grown to depend on dries up, what’s next? Bacon tax?

Old 09-30-2017, 01:00 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindalou864 View Post
Aren’t “sins” a violation of a religious code? Wouldn’t taxes on those be a violation of separation of church and state?

Taxing something to discourage use and increase revenue at the same time is counterproductive. When the revenue drops after they’ve been successful, they move on to tax something else. If Chicago hadn’t taxed smokes to oblivion, maybe they wouldn’t have felt the need to tax sugary drinks. Once the revenue they’ve grown to depend on dries up, what’s next? Bacon tax?
Sin tax is just a colloquial term. It has nothing to do with the legislative terminology used in the actual laws.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:35 PM

27 posts, read 24,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
I don't smoke, and I'm in London, U.K., but I asked around, and it seems to be about £4.00 ($5.18) per pack.
Though I was also told of recent Government advice, (possibly scare tactics), which said that illegally smuggled cigarettes from China and Eastern Europe, some being counterfeit, contained higher concentrations of arsenic, also rat droppings, possibly human excrement, 160% higher tar levels, 133% higher Carbon Monoxide, 6 times the amount of lead, 80% nicotine, and 5 times the amount of cadmium, boy, I'm glad that I don't have to think about that!
I feel bad for the poor people, they are going to buy those toxic bootlegged cigs because they can't afford 13 dollars a pack, while the middle class/rich will either suck it up and buy it at 13.00 a pack, or go across the border and stack up. NYC residents health and health care costs will increase because of this (Secondhand bootlegged cig smoke).

Old 09-30-2017, 11:48 PM

27 posts, read 24,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
It's just ridiculous that smoking is still legal. Ridiculous. There is absolutely no benefit to society by allowing idiots to increase the healthcare costs of those around them.

If we're going to keep smoking legal, all smokers should be placed in an entirely separate health insurance pool that only contains smokers. They can pay for each others' sins. No reason I should be footing the bill for their lung cancer. This doesn't even solve the problem of the damage they are doing to innocent bystanders via their secondhand smoke.

Just such a stupid, stupid habit. It wastes money for the user, costs more for society, yet big tobacco is still allowed to retain profits. Every dime of profit in cigarette sales should be plugged right back into our healthcare system. And this is coming from an otherwise devout conservative.

Ridiculous.
I am assuming you are against drinking to then, as there is no benefit to society as well? Just leads to liver problems, drunk driving, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events