Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 04:34 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPrzybylski07 View Post
Too bad it's only $14 a pack, should be illegal.

Gawd bless control freaks everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
New York City is boosting the price of a pack of cigarettes to $13—the most expensive in the nation--in its ongoing crackdown on smoking.

The hike takes effect June 1, 2018, under new legislation that also reduces the number of places allowed to sell cigarettes.

NYC hikes price of pack of cigarettes to $13, highest in US | Fox News
Hypocrites! If they are so against the product then make its sale in the city illegal, its no different then the dry counties that prohibit alcohol sales.

Old 08-31-2017, 05:43 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,098,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wow, four packs. I didn't know there was enough time in a day to smoke that much.
I worked with a guy who smoked four packs a day back when you could smoke everywhere. He reeked of smoke. Always lighting up. No idea if he's still alive.

Old 08-31-2017, 06:14 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalop View Post
Good, I'm tired of smelling people's **** breath.
Then don't get that close to them!

Old 08-31-2017, 06:30 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,125,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's about 1 cigarette every 15 min. if you're awake 16 hours a day. Probably 5 min. smoking, and 10 minutes until the next one. And people don't just sit and smoke, ya know - unless they have to go outside - but those people aren't smoking 3 packs a day.
Not for everyone. My husband smokes the long ones... and he usually lights one up a few minutes after the last one. He can no longer do much so he sits on his computer all day and yes.. he can squeeze in all those smokes. The only time he goes longer in between is if the grandkids are here.

Old 08-31-2017, 08:35 PM

23,221 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I quit cold-turkey in 1979, not for health reasons but because I got tired of paying for them, and they were around $1 to $1.50/pk back then.
Some can, some can't, quit cold turkey! It's been well-proven, some people have the constitution to do it, others can't. And the cold turkey crowd can't comprehend why everyone can't quit cold turkey.

If you find someone who can't go cold turkey, then go to Plan B: cut down, cut down, cut down!

Now that I'm smoking one cigarette in shifts, when I complete the first one third, I oftentimes have tricked myself into thinking I had whole cigarette!

It's difficult to quit any addiction, so let's put all addictions on a parallel line, yes, even the drug of the 21st century, the Smartphone.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:19 PM

939 posts, read 788,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
...even the drug of the 21st century, the Smartphone.
There is an interesting parallel between cigs and Smartphones.

With cigs, quite a few people would enter a party with one lit, and as they were exiting they'd have one lit.

Smartphones too, at least at the onset.

They'd be talking on the phone entering the party where there was a good chance they wouldn't know anyone in the immediate doorway area, and also upon exiting, with the possible exception if the host/ess or someone else was seeing them to the door.

Last edited by noregon98; 08-31-2017 at 10:47 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 09:28 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
LOL, the city is pricing itself out of business there, people will just go over the bridge and into NJ or Ct etc and buy cartons there, it will be those states that get the sales tax too.

Old 08-31-2017, 09:31 PM

760 posts, read 768,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
I worked with a guy who smoked four packs a day back when you could smoke everywhere. He reeked of smoke. Always lighting up. No idea if he's still alive.
Probably not, my late sister was a 2 packs a day smoker, she died of lung cancer 18 months ago. She had a benign tumor removed a number of years earlier which SHOULD have been a wakeup call but wasnt. By the time she was diagnosed she was already at stage 4 it was that fast, and a couple of months later she was dead, made it to 71 and left behind 2 boys, husband and grandchildren.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:48 PM

510 posts, read 370,762 times
Back when cigarettes were more affordable, and legal to smoke anywhere, I heard of at least several people that smoked 6 packs a day. So it seems that a 3 pack a day smoker is smoking half the time they are awake.
If they are in smoking prohibited places half the time, they may be smoking non-stop in allowed places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
That's what I thought too. Perhaps people embellish (for whatever reason) how much they smoke but I hear people always saying how they used to smoke 3 packs per day. I imagine you'd have to spend the majority of your day smoking if you smoke that many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events