Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 03:37 AM

4,847 posts, read 2,665,246 times

Advertisements

$13 a pack and you'll still see homeless people with them between their fingers..how do they do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 04:11 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
New York City is boosting the price of a pack of cigarettes to $13—the most expensive in the nation--in its ongoing crackdown on smoking.

The hike takes effect June 1, 2018, under new legislation that also reduces the number of places allowed to sell cigarettes.

NYC hikes price of pack of cigarettes to $13, highest in US | Fox News
That's about the same as the U.K., I'm glad that I quit over 20 years ago.
In the U.K. they are about £10 a pack, which equates to $13, but £7.35, or $9.50 is Government tax.
People living near the Channel Ports, (Dover, Folkestone), would do cigarette runs across to France, ($7.90 a pack), or Belgium, ($6.65), and take a chance on smuggling back hundreds, but with the advent of Brexit, the pound is sinking through the floor, and it's not worth it any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwh View Post
but i can still buy cigs in the next city over for way less
Maybe you can, but if you're low on smokes, do you really want to cross the G.W. to Fort Lee, or through the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels, unless you buy a gazillion at a time?
I've no idea if there are custom type restrictions between individual States, as there are between countries, but I can't see the N.Y.C. Tax Authorities turning a blind eye to cigarettes flooding in from N.J. and CT.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:19 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
These taxes are getting stupid. Take them too far and people will roll their own and go black market. I don't see them taxing people for being overweight which is just as bad for you. That day will be coming methinks... Where the health insurance rate doubles if you're 300 lbs, and rightly so since they cost more in medical care.

If a ban could work without creating a black market, that's all well and good... But black markets just increase crime... Just keep em $10/per pack and let people smoke outside. More freedom is better than less.

I originally had a much longer post but then started thinking about how I would ban all aftermarket exhausts and loud motorcycles and residents chaining up dogs in their yards and letting them bark all day and realized that there are things I would like to ban... Mostly related to noise and smell pollution. Remove your catalytic converter and install some loud fart can? $1500 fine when pulled over. Put your bleeping dogs in the house when you go to work instead of subjecting the neighbors to their yapping. $1500 fine if the cops get a report with video footage of them being chained up outside or in a cage/fenced in area for a consecutive 30 minute stretch or longer and theyre nuisance barking.

Last edited by sholomar; 09-01-2017 at 06:44 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,759,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post

Maybe you can, but if you're low on smokes, do you really want to cross the G.W. to Fort Lee, or through the Lincoln or Holland Tunnels, unless you buy a gazillion at a time?
I've no idea if there are custom type restrictions between individual States, as there are between countries, but I can't see the N.Y.C. Tax Authorities turning a blind eye to cigarettes flooding in from N.J. and CT.
You don't need to cross a bridge to get to the next city or out of NYC proper from many parts of NYC. Example, I'm currently 3 miles from the Westchester County border and cigarettes are $5 or more less per pack. Many people will go weekly or monthly and buy them by the carton.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:36 AM

1,166 posts, read 875,960 times
I am so sick of the nanny state trying to control peoples behavior. Everybody in the world understands that cigarettes are bad for you, says so right on the pack. But we supposedly live in a "free" country and have the freedom to do as we please, regardless of how good or bad it is for us. IMO the government is just their to warn us of the dangers of our actions and then provide the freedom to do it anyways. That's what true freedom is all about, supporting the freedoms of those you disagree with.

Smoking is no worse for you than eating fast food all the time and being overweight, but for some reason smoking is stigmatized while being fat and unhealthy is "acceptable". It's all about what "society" says is acceptable or not, and I put NO stock into the ever changing whims of public opinion. Also, there's absolutely NO conclusive scientific evidence that secondhand smoke causes lung cancer or anything else. I'd be much more worried about the hundreds of cars and trucks driving by spewing toxic fumes into the air before I'd worry about some guy standing outside smoking a cigarette. Guess some people are just stupid.

Also, as lots of others have pointed out, this will just drive people to buy black market untaxed cigarettes or drive to another state with lower taxes. Or the people who don't care will just continue to buy them in NYC. This is nothing but a hollow victory for you "everybody MUST hate smokers and quit now" crowd.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:37 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
They can take the PATH train to Jersey for $2.75. For only 1 pack of smokes it would be cheaper than buying in NYC at $13 but you know they'll buy at least a carton.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,886,587 times
Time to either start ordering online, or grow your own... My father did, it ain't difficult.

Old 09-01-2017, 09:03 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Post New York City does have "tobacco sniffing dogs", some of which were paid for by tobacco companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Time to either start ordering online, or grow your own... My father did, it ain't difficult.
NY put a lot of effort into going after consumers who buy cigs online. Other states, not so much.

The only person I knew who tried to grow his own gave up after a couple of years, between the pests eating the crop and the difficulty in getting a good "cure", it was cheaper to just visit the res a few times a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
The US federal government allows states to pass laws putting controls on what can be brought into a state, but frowns on full-scale "customs" type enforcement at state borders. For example, the California state agriculture "inspection stations" get away with it by claiming their warrantless searches are voluntary.

New York City has such a massive commuter volume (people coming from neighboring states from 9-5) that it wouldn't be feasible to search everybody even if the feds wouldn't slap their hand for this. New York City does have "tobacco sniffing dogs" and their enforcement mostly focuses on retail sales and getting mail-order customers to pay up.

Chicago and NYC both have a history of counterfeit tax stamped tobacco products in the retail chain, mostly mob-linked. Consumers pay full or nearly full price to the local bodega, but the "tax" revenue just goes to the black marketeers.

Last edited by Nonesuch; 09-01-2017 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-01-2017, 09:29 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
The City of New York opened the door of taxing anything and regulating where anything can be sold. How will New Yorkers react to specialty taxes on grocery, pharmacy, clothing, etc., and which grocery stores can sell groceries, which pharmacies can fill prescriptions, and which department stores can sell clothing and accessories?

Old 09-01-2017, 09:35 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Wow, four packs. I didn't know there was enough time in a day to smoke that much.
Get up early, stay up late, and have plenty of money to blow (NPI).

I once sat in a meeting, one couple there (years ago when smoking in meetings was OK) revealed husband was recently dx with lung cancer.

"Yeah, (cough cough, lights up) I'm going to beat this!"

Whoever labeled "Man, the rational animal" hadn't met enough of us yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events