Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 12:52 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Not for me. I didn't really pile on, but my EMT instructor, a longtime firefighter, was asked to pay for his coffee at a refreshment tent set up by Red Cross at a disaster site. I would trust this man with my life. There is no way he fudged that story.
A couple of us have mentioned this.

When my father was cold and hungry in Europe during WWII, he had to buy a cup of coffee and a donut from the Red Cross. There are no words, not enough words for that. The Sallies gave them whatever they had, and it was as good or better. They had sandwiches. Not sure what was in them. I never knew. Dad didn't know. Probably didn't matter much at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 AM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,660,797 times
"During WWII the American Red Cross did indeed charge American servicemen for coffee, doughnuts, and lodging. However, they did so because the U.S. Army asked them to, not because they were determined to make a profit off homesick dogfaces.

The request was made in a March 1942 letter from Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson to Norman H. Davis, chairman of the American Red Cross. Because American soldiers were fighting as part of the Allied Forces, matters had to be considered on a Force-wide rather than a solely American basis. The Red Cross was asked to establish club facilities for U.S. servicemen overseas where Allied troops would be welcome, and because English and Australian soldiers were being charged for the use of such facilities, it was deemed unfair that Americans were to get similar benefits for free (especially in light of the fact that their pay was higher than that of their Allied counterparts). For the good of the alliance, the American Red Cross was persuaded to exact nominal charges from American GIs for off-base food and lodging.

This act resulted in the Red Cross’ coming to be regarded by numerous GIs as having profited off them. Bad feeling exists to this day over the decision to charge American servicemen for these services, with any number of such soldiers and their families carrying long-lasting resentments against the service. Yet while that ire might have been merited, it was misdirected: the culprit was the U.S. Army, not the Red Cross.

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, Chief of Staff, United States Army, addressed the controversy surrounding this issue in a statement to the press on 10 April 1946:
I am surprised to learn that one of the reasons [for Americans not contributing to the American Red Cross] is the complaints being leveled at the organization’s overseas operations by returning servicemen. For the most part these criticisms have grown out of a Red Cross policy of making nominal charges to our forces for food and lodgings in fixed Red Cross installations abroad. These complaints are distressing to me since this particular Red Cross policy was adopted at the request of the Army, so as to insure an equitable distribution among all service personnel of Red Cross resources. I know the Red Cross. I have seen it in action. Overseas it performed with the precision of a well-trained army. It would be grave injustice to the splendid work of the Red Cross if its campaign should be retarded anywhere by mistaken criticisms."

Source: Red Cross Charges for Assistance

Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 AM

The Red Cross wouldn't have me. I lived in Mad Cow territory in the early days, and they still haven't reconciled. I'm only B+, but I thought that someone might have wanted me.

Too late now.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
"During WWII the American Red Cross did indeed charge American servicemen for coffee, doughnuts, and lodging. However, they did so because the U.S. Army[i] asked them to, not because they were determined to make a profit off homesick dogfaces.

Source: Red Cross Charges for Assistance
I hate the longer post copy. Thank you for the very informative post. I think that I finally understand. Dad only worked with other Americans, but I finally understand.

On the other hand, the Salvation Army gave out food and hot drinks to everyone. No charge.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:26 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,879,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Did you have the blood transfusion in the UK or France? If so, its due to concerns with mad cow disease.

Otherwise you just have to wait 12 months before being able to donate blood.

Blood Donor Eligibility: Blood Pressure, Pregnancy, Disease & More | American Red Cross
Good to know. When I went to donate I was told never, but the volunteer might have been misinformed or rules have changed.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:01 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
A couple of us have mentioned this.

When my father was cold and hungry in Europe during WWII, he had to buy a cup of coffee and a donut from the Red Cross. There are no words, not enough words for that. The Sallies gave them whatever they had, and it was as good or better. They had sandwiches. Not sure what was in them. I never knew. Dad didn't know. Probably didn't matter much at the time.
Are we really holding a 75-year old grudge against the Red Cross based on hearsay?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Are we really holding a 75-year old grudge against the Red Cross based on hearsay?
Not quite.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:11 PM

736 posts, read 455,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I Guess I missed it on the news. Red Cross is in full overdrive collecting blood for the hurricane victims. No one I have seen so far on the news has been bleeding. Why do they need so much blood?

Mostly what I've seen is perfectly healthy looking people riding in boats pushed by people walking in water that doesn't come up any higher than their knees.

I know that the people have had a very bad experience and I have sympathy but the fund raising is beyond ridiculous.

(Although I am going to give props to Walmart for their matching fund offer, even though their ad is all drama and over the top)
You seem like the perfect person to tell me something I've wondered for a long time...does stupid hurt?

Old 09-08-2017, 06:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Maybe for whole blood, but not for plasma at most hospitals or plasma centers. Any past blood transfusion, or use of blood components, with a few exceptions, is a lifetime deferral.
I'm just repeating what is on the American Red Cross' website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events