Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:16 PM

15,487 posts, read 9,167,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Yeah we know who are the problem, but should they be punished and if so how? Being a stupid manager or employee seems to be the norm these days in this country. Seldom do they really pay the price for what they had caused to customers or others.
The bank manager needs to be fired. You can't call the police because a customer who appears to be Pakistani is trying to deposit a check you can't verify. The bank needs to initiate civil rights training for all their employees, to insure that they don't violate the civil rights of other customers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 09:17 AM

26,198 posts, read 21,672,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Checks have security features that appear under different types of lights and/or heat. Some checks also have watermarks that can be seen under a black light. Next time you're in a bank ask them. US Post Offices also have these machines. If the check its not authentic chances are is fake. So I don't know what you're talking about.

Checks also have numbers that identify the Zone / state they are from. Usually looks something like
21-112
______

Although, I wouldn't expect any person who has worked at a bank during the last 20 years to know that.

For example, if the check is from Michigan and Michigan's number is 33 but the check has 59 somethings up.
Of course checks have security features but no machine exist to tell you if a check is good or not, period end of story. There are too many variables that a machine can not cover

Old 09-17-2017, 09:36 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,954,214 times
Nolte [Police Captain] said police detectives ultimately verified the legitimacy of the check by calling the people who issued it. “It was pretty straightforward that this, in fact, was a valid check,” he said.

“The bank could have done the same thing.”

When family was detained at bank, was the response typical? | The Wichita Eagle

Old 09-17-2017, 05:30 PM

15,487 posts, read 9,167,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Nolte [Police Captain] said police detectives ultimately verified the legitimacy of the check by calling the people who issued it. “It was pretty straightforward that this, in fact, was a valid check,” he said.

“The bank could have done the same thing.”

When family was detained at bank, was the response typical? | The Wichita Eagle
That is where we are at in this country. Every citizen is guilty, until proven innocent. Any cop who wants to can arrest you for any reason at any time, and if you did nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about. You will eventually be released. “We will do that on a regular basis” as the cop said. "And the last thing we want to do is have somebody that’s trying to break the law get away.” Because it is so much better to violate the civil rights of innocent people, rather than take a chance on one guilty one getting away. The police are literally rewriting the Constitution to fit their needs.

As for the bank's statement "Ginther said Emprise Bank is intolerant of discrimination." A bank employee who is intolerant of discrimination would not answer a simple question like, "Is there a customer's name?" with "I think he's Pakistani". That answer is not a good sign of intolerance of discrimination.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:09 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,855,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Of course checks have security features but no machine exist to tell you if a check is good or not, period end of story. There are too many variables that a machine can not cover
Try reading again, I never wrote anything like that.

The first step is to verify the check. If the security features are not present good chance its fake, but not necessarily.

The teller and the manager also did not follow protocol. If a check is suspected to be fake, altered, etc the protocol is the gather as much identifying info from the customer as possible. Some banks will even ask customers to put a thumbprint on the back of the check.

If the check later turns out to be fake then you call the police and let them handle it. Accusing someone of having a false check can go south very quickly especially if the person has a weapon. If they think they are going to get busted they might try to shoot their way out. The teller and the manager put everyone's life at risk that were inside that bank at the time.

This is a problem across America though as it seems like the Govt wants to "deputize" every one to help fight some type of "evil" terrorism probably being the #1 evil. Every bus and train station in CT and NYC has silly signs saying something like "if you see something, say something"

Next time I'm going to report that the guy sitting next to me on the train is reading something in arabic and I think he has a bomb. Even though I can't read arabic and have no basis for thinking he has a bomb.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:38 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,704,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Try reading again, I never wrote anything like that.

The first step is to verify the check. If the security features are not present good chance its fake, but not necessarily.

The teller and the manager also did not follow protocol. If a check is suspected to be fake, altered, etc the protocol is the gather as much identifying info from the customer as possible. Some banks will even ask customers to put a thumbprint on the back of the check.

If the check later turns out to be fake then you call the police and let them handle it. Accusing someone of having a false check can go south very quickly especially if the person has a weapon. If they think they are going to get busted they might try to shoot their way out. The teller and the manager put everyone's life at risk that were inside that bank at the time.

This is a problem across America though as it seems like the Govt wants to "deputize" every one to help fight some type of "evil" terrorism probably being the #1 evil. Every bus and train station in CT and NYC has silly signs saying something like "if you see something, say something"

Next time I'm going to report that the guy sitting next to me on the train is reading something in arabic and I think he has a bomb. Even though I can't read arabic and have no basis for thinking he has a bomb.

People cant even tell the difference between languages. There was an incident when one Indian student was talking on phone to his parents in "Tamil" language at Airport while waiting at the Gate. Someone reported and he was detained and missed the flight. Once some international students, new to the country, went to walmart to buy cellphone. Probably some over eager vigilante called Police on them suspecting that brown guys buying phone-not good. Once there were some international graduate Students, Ph.D. or something from Chemical Engineering Department on a picnic at a Lake. They were detained and questioned suspecting they are at some mischief. "Brown" is the new "Black" as some people say now.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:17 AM

794 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percentage View Post
lol you can't be serious. People do that all the time. My parents sold their vacation home in Florida and deposited the check in a totally different state without any qualms whatsoever.

They arrested his wife and kid for goodness sakes. Geez, I just have no words. There's no justification for that type of behavior on the part of the police or bank and you better believe he is going to have a lot more than $150K in his account, when the dust from his lawsuit suit settles.
Exactly. About ten years ago I sold my house in one state right after I had moved to another about 500 miles away. My credit union did not have a branch in my new state but they had "partnerships" with other credit unions where they could complete minor services, like withdrawals and deposits. I took the approximately 30k check from the closing attorney to a partner credit union. The teller did call over her manager but he said no problem and they deposited it, on behalf of my credit union, into my account. I think there was a hold but I honestly don't remember. It wasn't a big deal.

This was ridiculous and the bank and police should have issued an apology and retrained those involved.

Old 09-20-2017, 06:03 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,954,214 times
I have some sympathy for the police in this.

They received a 911 call from the bank that a crime was in process. The information supplied by the bank was incorrect but the police didn't know that. Furthermore, being a 911 call, the first responders were the closest officers to the scene and not those with the skills required to validate whether the check was fake or not. So, initially, they would have to assume that the bank had the expertise to tell them if it was fake or not. In the end, the police validated the check by calling the issuing bank. Why did the bank not do this?

In the circumstances, it was reasonable for the police to detain the person depositing the check until it had been validated. Based on the information they had been given, they had probable cause to believe that a crime was being committed. Where, in my opinion, the police erred was in detaining the wife and the daughter. That could end up costing them .... or rather the taxpayers.

Even so, the bulk of blame has to reside with the bank. They failed to take reasonable steps to validate the check and they gave false information to the police. It is they who the victim should be suing and I hope he does.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 PM

13,413 posts, read 7,413,070 times
This banks process and protocol is very strange in my opinion because I have deposited checks for over 300k The bank will always tell you there will be hold on the funds until the check clears which was no problem. I have deposited 50k in cash before have to fill out tax forms no problem. I have never heard of banks calling the police for a deposit into an account. I have seen people arrested for trying to cash a phony cashier's check or money order. Banks don't always hire the smartest folks it's a low paid job. I find it strange the bank defended the actions of their employees great way to turn business away .

Last edited by kell490; 09-20-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events