Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 01:26 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times

Advertisements

In the updated story, the "tortured" referred to being changed to their beds in filthy conditions.

I think this is going to turn out to be a case of serious mental illness, on the part of the father, to "protect" his kids.

The story of making them walk single file with a parent in front and a parent behind when they were in public - and his hairstyle - indicate he's not right in the head.

And neither is she.

Old 01-16-2018, 01:37 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,180,701 times
Lots of unanswered questions and put this one among them...if you file bankruptcy even once, your credit is marred for years. Twice...come on...easy to rack up bills and not have to pay.

BUT, how in the heck do they have money to buy a house? Cash? Where did that come from??? Mortgage...who's foolish enough to give them a mortgage?? Inquiring mind wants to know!!!

Old 01-16-2018, 02:01 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Lots of unanswered questions and put this one among them...if you file bankruptcy even once, your credit is marred for years. Twice...come on...easy to rack up bills and not have to pay.

BUT, how in the heck do they have money to buy a house? Cash? Where did that come from??? Mortgage...who's foolish enough to give them a mortgage?? Inquiring mind wants to know!!!

You'd be surprised!

While rates may be higher, there are places who will issue credit to those with a bankruptcy still on their reports, even if relatively recent.

Main reason is simple; once you've filed/been declared bankrupt it cannot be done again for many years (IIRC seven or ten, not sure). So in essence depending upon other factors (employment, savings, assets, etc..), yes people do get credit including a mortgage after a bankruptcy.

In the case of a mortgage it might mean putting a good chunk of money in as a down payment, and higher interest rates. Not all lenders will deal with people with fresh bankruptcies on their records, but others might for the right "price".

Old 01-16-2018, 02:13 PM

284 posts, read 234,503 times
Anyone else from Ohio remember the crazy Sexton family? They lived just a few miles from where I live now, it was absolutely horrific the abuse those kids suffered. These creeps kind of remind me of them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Lee_Sexton

Old 01-16-2018, 02:24 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post

I have a relative who bought a house two years after bankruptcy and a foreclosure, approved for a mortgage with not even two years full employment. And this was after the 2008 financial crisis.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:45 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,020,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
In the updated story, the "tortured" referred to being changed to their beds in filthy conditions.

I think this is going to turn out to be a case of serious mental illness, on the part of the father, to "protect" his kids.

The story of making them walk single file with a parent in front and a parent behind when they were in public - and his hairstyle - indicate he's not right in the head.

And neither is she.
I don't necessarily agree that making them walk single file or dressing alike on outings is a sign of mental illness. You're talking about 12 (not including the baby) people that you have to keep track of.
I work in a group home and we have a 3:1 ratio, 9 residents in all. I'm constantly counting just to be sure. You'd be surprised how easy it is to lose sight of a person especially in a place like Disney.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:46 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So I looked him up on a broadly available ancestor website (not Ancestry) and it looks like they are both from West Virginia and lived in Texas after that. At least four of the children were born in Texas.

He looks like he's wearing a really cheap woman's wig.

I'm trying to figure out if they are all her children, she's 49 years old and the youngest is two?
I kind of wondered about that too. They had some day "school" they opened in 2011 that then went bankrupt. I saw one article that had some vague quote about family members having no idea why ??would be there.

Made me wonder if they took in some handicapped full time or something? But sure you can have a child at 47.

Can't believe the grandmother quote about them being upstanding people.

If California state government had the right to inspect private schools this might have been caught.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:07 PM

24,100 posts, read 32,460,014 times
Before I read this, I guessed two things - that they were some brand of religious fanatics, and that they home schooled.

While I am not against all home schooling, it does seem to lend itself to some horrific child abuse cases. I think a representative from the school district would make regular visits to home schooled children.

Mega churches and mega families. Don't trust either one.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
The "day school" was a homeschool. Some states require that parents homeschooling their kids create a legal entity with a name - like Sandcastles Day School.

House built on the sand, sure enough.

As for the matching clothes helping keep kids from getting lost, we're talking about young adults in their late teens and twenties, Normally, young people this age can simply agree to meet parents and younger siblings at a set time and place, and hang out on their own when on day trips to places like Disneyland. Dressing younger children in the same color can be practical for outings, but surely it isn't necessary for older offspring. Ditto walking in line...

I've seen many recent family portraits in which everyone is wearing the same or coordinating colors, but each person is wearing their own attire, which is otherwise different from that of the rest of the family. I have not seen this sort of matchy-matchy stuff going on previously, other than for a wedding where the bride had all five of her sisters as bridesmaids. Even then, the youngest sister's dress was a bit different, and the sisters certainly never dressed alike ordinarily.

I wonder what the children were wearing when rescued...someone said pajamas, but I can't find the citation (the rescue occurred very early Sunday morning - the hour is probably how the seventeen year old daughter managed to slip out the window undetected). Matchy-matchy pajamas for families are popular at Christmas, but not at other times, as far as I know.

Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 PM

284 posts, read 234,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I don't necessarily agree that making them walk single file or dressing alike on outings is a sign of mental illness. You're talking about 12 (not including the baby) people that you have to keep track of.
I work in a group home and we have a 3:1 ratio, 9 residents in all. I'm constantly counting just to be sure. You'd be surprised how easy it is to lose sight of a person especially in a place like Disney.
But half of them are ADULTS and I've seen nothing about them being developmentally delayed or disabled! My 15 year old would look at me like I had 2 heads if I suggested we walk anywhere single file, let alone my 26 year old! It's obvious for whatever twisted reason, they wanted to stunt these children's physical and mental growth, keeping them child-like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events