Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 07:22 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Where in the world did this come from?
I think it was in response to post #122.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 07:23 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Same thing goes for males, too!

Totally agree.

However, in MOST cases, it's the boys asking the girls.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Where in the world did this come from?

Someone back 2 or 3 pages said something about all of this goes along with racial mixing, and how that's bad.

I don't want anyone to think THAT'S a reason that I'm opposed to the rules of this dance.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:00 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post

When you and your partner encounter a couple of clueless brand-new dancers, why not split 'em up for a dance or two? Everyone will be the better for it - the set will survive, you'll get to pass along your expertise and save the day, and the newcomers will get a sense of accomplishment.
I have tried that on a few occasions. One time my brother (who was the one who dared me to try contra) went to the now defunct Woodstock contra and at one point tried to split up a couple where the guy wasn't getting it and was getting very frustrated. But... they didn't want to split, so my brother said to me, "fine, if they want to keep on getting frustrated..." Some people come "as a couple" and don't know the culture that says it FINE to dance with someone's boyfriend, husband, girlfriend or wife. i have a number of favorite male partners who are happily attached, and it is no big deal that they are dancing with me, a single woman. Just keep it respectful and nothing will happen and no one should be getting jealous. I've never had a problem in that regard.

Quote:
How are you ever going to grow your contra group if newcomers are not welcomed by experienced dancers - not talking about the leadership now, just the usual dancers with some experience behind them - and are shunted into their own set? They are likely to feel isolated, singled out, and will not return - and they'll badmouth your hosting group, too. Fortunately, I have not seen this attitude locally or in other places I've danced in the last few years.
Thankfully, I don't serve as part of the dance organization committee, nor do I put myself out there as such. I just go by myself, dance and go home. It's this weekend that I will be doing hospitality duties, but that is OFF the dance floor.

Quote:
"Fancy flourishes" which are not part the dance are not encouraged in ECD, as they throw off other dancers and mess up the timing of the figures. They are not considered signs of being a good dancer, in the ECD community - rather good carriage, timing/phrasing, grace, self-control, pleasant connection with not only one's partner but with others in the set (using eyes and smiles as much as hands), giving weight, avoiding limp fish handholds or painful hand-crunches, and musicality are admired. Plus, of course, remembering what comes next!
Now you know why I don't do ECD on a regular basis! If ECD is like doing classical ballet or playing classical music, than contra is like doing modern jazz dance or playing improvisational jazz. A lot more variety in the music, solo flourishes are not frowned upon, and just make sure the other person is consenting when you do partner flourishes.

And one thing people tend to point out about me is having impeccable timing. Past experience as a dancer and a musician. I know how to count music and tell when the next musical phrase (and call) is coming so I can step back into the choreography.

This actually isn't as off topic as folks think. These youngsters will be dealing with these sorts of scenarios as adults soon enough, and not just on the dance floor.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 02-15-2018 at 08:28 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 08:33 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I have no idea what Kabuki Theatre means,
Here is a much better explanation than the one you got:

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2090.html

Quote:
Kabuki (歌舞伎) is a traditional Japanese form of theater with roots tracing back to the Edo Period. It is recognized as one of Japan's three major classical theaters along with noh and bunraku, and has been named as a UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage.

Kabuki is an art form rich in showmanship. It involves elaborately designed costumes, eye-catching make-up, outlandish wigs, and arguably most importantly, the exaggerated actions performed by the actors. The highly-stylized movements serve to convey meaning to the audience; this is especially important since an old-fashioned form of Japanese is typically used, which is difficult even for Japanese people to fully understand.

Dynamic stage sets such as revolving platforms and trapdoors allow for the prompt changing of a scene or the appearance/disappearance of actors. Another specialty of the kabuki stage is a footbridge (hanamichi) that leads through the audience, allowing for a dramatic entrance or exit. Ambiance is aided with live music performed using traditional instruments. These elements combine to produce a visually stunning and captivating performance.

Plots are usually based on historical events, warm hearted dramas, moral conflicts, love stories, tales of tragedy of conspiracy, or other well-known stories. A unique feature of a kabuki performance is that what is on show is often only part of an entire story (usually the best part). Therefore, to enhance the enjoyment derived, it would be good to read a little about the story before attending the show. At some theaters, it is possible to rent headsets which provide English narrations and explanations.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
The girl / guy accepting won't die - but the asker will feel so much better about themselves. It's a 3 minute dance - everyone will survive!
I said it before, and I'll say it again: That's not how most middle schoolers think. To them, a dance is a popularity contest, not simply a fun way to interact with the opposite sex; I speak from memories. (Although truth be told, I read too much into dancing myself, at least until my college years.) So "forcing" popularity won't help anybody. Plus, imagine how a boy will feel if he overhears a girl saying "Ew, ew, ew! I had to dance with him." Or vice versa. It's better to let the asker hear a terse "No, thanks."

Perhaps bringing back the pre-1960's ballroom culture would be a good idea. It'll teach kids to compartmentalize between social dancing and intimate dancing, rather than sexualizing it all due to media influences (thanks for nothing, Radio Disney ).

Old 02-15-2018, 09:50 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Everyone is reading way too much into this - I love the idea - it's one dance - it teaches people kindness and tolerance - something this society needs now more than ever.

The girl / guy accepting won't die - but the asker will feel so much better about themselves. It's a 3 minute dance - everyone will survive!
Nope. Sorry, but both boys and girls should have the right to politely decline interacting with anyone they choose to. Forcing acceptance sends the message that it's OK to be forced to acquiesce even when we may feel uncomfortable about the person or situation. That's not a message I want any kid, regardless of gender, to get.

If the school wants to use a dance to teach polite refusal and/or coping skills when refused, then I'm good with that.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:02 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,672,434 times
The school changed that rule a couple days ago. No student is required to say yes to a dance.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/13/healt...rnd/index.html

Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The school changed that rule a couple days ago. No student is required to say yes to a dance.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/13/healt...rnd/index.html

Yay!

Old 02-15-2018, 02:00 PM

574 posts, read 382,396 times
I coulda sworn that the "Sadie Hawkins" dance was long gone :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies