Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2018, 10:49 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,647,905 times

Advertisements

On feb 8 execs from facebook twitter google and youtube got a thorough tongue lashing from the British Committee on Digital, Culture, Media and Sport made even more pompous and condescending by that snooty british accent.You can see the whole thing here if have too much time to kill
Parliamentlive.tv - Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Why they came here I dont know because all these companies have reps in the UK.And remember this is a country that produced some of the trashiest tabloids on the planet.But there is one good thing I can say the members are a cut above the usual "aesthetically challanged" mob of brits.

Old 02-13-2018, 02:57 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,866,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
...that snooty british accent...the usual "aesthetically challanged" mob of brits.
Ha ha!!! Sounds like you're a bit jealous, mate (stated in a right-snooty British accent ).

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 02-13-2018 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 03:03 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,554,080 times
I don't know why a particular accent makes something said any less believable, or believable for that matter. It's the words they choose that matter. As long as it is spoken in English, I can understand and discern the information.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:43 AM

27,146 posts, read 13,434,325 times
Quote:
On feb 8 execs from facebook twitter google and youtube got a thorough tongue lashing from the British Committee on Digital, Culture, Media and Sport made even more pompous and condescending by that snooty british accent.You can see the whole thing here if have too much time to kill
Parliamentlive.tv - Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee
Why they came here I dont know because all these companies have reps in the UK.And remember this is a country that produced some of the trashiest tabloids on the planet.But there is one good thing I can say the members are a cut above the usual "aesthetically challanged" mob of brits.
I am not sure why they had to go to the US as Social Media companies have been called before Parliamentary Committees in London before. The companies also have large HQ's in London.

It should however be noted that it's not just the UK that has been critical of social media, the US has as well, as has the EU and most western countries. Indeed the UK has just launched a new tool to help block extremist Islamic videos such as those used as recruitment tools or those used to encourage attacks against western countries such as the US, and such innovations should be welcomed by the US, as should working together to stop Russian meddling in western affairs.

UK unveils extremism blocking tool - BBC News

In terms of British Tabloids the Leveson Inquiry in to phone hacking and subsequent legal actions have had a massive impact on their behaviour, and they are now subject to much more regulation.

As for accents, I think you will find there are lots of different accents in the UK and most people in the UK are not snooty or "aesthetically challanged" as you put it, so perhaps you should grow up and stop throwing around pathetic insults.

Old 02-14-2018, 05:46 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Anyone else sick and tired of hearing the term fake news? It's just like when people say biased about 90%. It means they don't agree so they're going to whine and throw a temper tantrum and fine some news source they agree with.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:39 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Anyone else sick and tired of hearing the term fake news? It's just like when people say biased about 90%. It means they don't agree so they're going to whine and throw a temper tantrum and fine some news source they agree with.
Fake news is the term of choice for the times. It's overused.. There is some out there.. I think it's kinda been hijacked recently. 95% of the time.. If it's shared on Facebook.. It's fake news. Snopes is still a good authority for the most part.

You used to be able to call the Enquirer and the like fake news.. But.. Listen.. I'll still defend them as having some of the finest investigative journalism in the US. They nailed the John Edwards story and without them, that story does not break. They were the impetus for Charlie Sheen's HIV admission, I believe. They actually hit the ball with a pretty good average now. Guess that happens when you get your butt sued off enough times.

Old 02-16-2018, 03:36 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,593,937 times
Quote:
But there is one good thing I can say the members are a cut above the usual "aesthetically challanged" mob of brits.
I probably shouldn’t be defending them, they rip into me frequently
due to my French connections, but they can at least spell challenged.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:28 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
The UK has pretty tough anti-libel laws, so the tabloids there do have to do their research and get the basic facts right before they give it the full metal Daily Mail sensationalism treatment about who's getting fat and naughty in the Canary Islands.

Watch a couple hours of Sky News (streams free on my Roku) and it's an entirely different beast than Fox News even though the two channels share/shared a parent company.

Old 02-17-2018, 02:46 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,547,237 times
The US media is in a large scale financial crisis brought about by the internet age. (I assume others are as well).

Quality is down because:

a) Rush to report, less (or no) time to verify or fact check.

b) Tight budgets, targeted audiences.

b2) Cheap internet competition, people disconnecting from attrocious cable bills etc.

At this time, the US Media is no longer at it's high water mark. It's more like back in the 1910's with muckraking.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 AM

32,924 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events