Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 03:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,192,353 times

Advertisements

I enjoyed a cruise with a few friends back in 1991. It had no drama and no violent incidents. Been there, done that. These incidents seem to happen too often on cruise ships these days. It would be miserable to be stuck on a ship with belligerent, violent people. If I change my mind, will certainly take the advice to not choose Carnival.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Sigh- if ONLY folks were armed!!!

Old 02-21-2018, 08:42 PM

386 posts, read 327,037 times
Why use time and pay money to be around large groups of people?

Old 02-21-2018, 10:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I wonder if this was a family or more than one of what we in the US call "travelers"
Clans bent on making their money from illegal means---doing various types of scams and thefts--big and little
Follow bad weather and pose as roofers or landscapers and just take people's money w/o doing any work or shoddy work...like retooling driveways and using cheap materials that wash away first strong rain...
Live in the shadows since they don't want their kids exposed to societal norms like public schools so they home school although that means no school...
They often marry their daughters off at very early age--pre puberty---for dynastic marriages and younger men are often pushed out so they can't gain power...
No, we do sometimes have people doing what you describe. They generally are visitors on temporary visas without families here. In any case, home schooling is unusual here and very tightly controlled. There are very many private schools which cater to people who are dissatisfied with public education.

The family involved in the brawl, it would seem, are quite wealthy and come from a particular ethnic group which has not integrated well into Australian society. Hence their supposed insults to 'Australians' even though they are more than likely Australian themselves. They were obviously drunk as the brawl, I think, was in the nightclub at 3am.

A couple of people asked why they were not removed sooner. Unless you have visited Australia it is hard to imagine the remoteness of most of the country. Everyone who would be called in to remove these people would have had to travel for hours to meet the ship. In proper emergencies, medical or security, helicopters and planes are extensively used. But this event would not really be classified as an emergency and it has, of course, become a PR nightmare for the cruise line. I imagine they were trying to contain it themselves initially.

Something about travel seems to bring out the worst in a lot of people. The worst behaviour I have seen on a flight, though not at the brawl stage, was from two couples, late twenties, from a South Asian country where many people do not drink. They behaved like teenagers on schoolies (I think the American equivalent is spring break) The Brits in Spain, the Aussies in Bali, the Europeans in Bangkok etc all have pretty bad reputations.

We have been on three large ship cruises, none of which were homeport ones. We have one coming up, a week in Alaska, but I think that will be it for us. Too many issues and actually the last one we had many many rude passengers from a European nationality which I will not mention. I think the shiphave become like floating malls and I cannot see much point in going on them.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,666,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
Why use time and pay money to be around large groups of people?
Thank you. I'm quite (pleasantly) surprised that so many people on this thread feel the same as I do about cruises. No thanks. I just don't get the appeal. I'm not saying I'll go my whole life without taking a cruise, but I'm nearly 40 and I haven't yet and I have no desire to. My BIL and spouse are always trying to convince us to come on a cruise. First of all, I would never cruise with Carnival, and to do a cruise right you have to spend big bucks. So the latest cruise they want us to come on (Norwegian, sounds nice actually) costs about $3900 per person, NOT counting the expense to get to port.

I guess I'm just at that point in my life where I'd rather dump 8 grand into upgrading my house than be on a cramped ship with thousands of people.. $8 grand for a week of memories? Ehhhh. (We do pretty well, too, btw, just frugal.)

Then again, I'm low key. I like to rent a house in a small, non-pretentious, off the map, quiet Florida panhandle beach for vacation, and just take it easy. That's my ideal vacation and worlds cheaper.

Old 02-22-2018, 12:47 AM

2,290 posts, read 1,511,895 times
Well, we are perhaps the opposite in that we like to be in new places and experience new things. But we find that if you visit a large city on a cruise, eg Lisbon, Boston, Oslo are three we have been to on a cruise, it is not nearly enough time to see them properly. You are constantly looking at your watch when ashore, you usually miss out on seeing the port at night and you only get a taste of the country. We did enjoy going to some small places like Flam in Norway and we decided on a cruise to Alaska as the alternatives were quite time consuming and expensive.

Our friends who love cruising generally have some mobility problems, have travelled extensively already and also enjoy eating and drinking (but not brawling!) We have many friends who have enjoyed aspects of cruising but do not intend to do too many more. Another issue is the inevitable spread of viruses.

Old 02-22-2018, 03:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
Good thing I don’t go on cruises.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
Another reason to add to my long list of why I never want to go on a cruise !
these people share the road ways with you, so add driving and going outside to the list. /s lol, jk

Old 02-22-2018, 08:23 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
"brawl"? Looks like a little scuffle. It is hilarious people saying, "I won't go on a cruise" and so-on. Goodness we sure are a fearful society over something so tiny as this. I'll be most people on that cruise didn't even know it was going on. Everything is so hyped these days one must have a sense of humor to laugh at how silly we are becoming. Good luck though. lol

Old 02-22-2018, 09:13 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,594,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistym View Post
Not surprised. Carnival is known as the ghetto cruise line. I wouldn't go on Carnival.
Quote:
Originally Posted by peequi View Post
Thanks. It seems like it is sort of a well known fact that Carnival is on the lower end of the scale. I will keep that in mind, currently planning a cruise.

I disagree. I have been on several Carnival cruises and we had a great time with no incidences.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:46 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Aussie against Aussie? I don't think we are getting the whole story. Was the accused family a wealthy roving band of gypsies or what? None of this makes any sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events