Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2018, 01:33 PM

6,455 posts, read 9,824,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
How can so many of you be so insensitive? Sure this kid did something dumb. But now his life is gone. And those who describe his life now and the cost of keeping him alive, who is going to make the decision to pull all the assistance and let him die? Is that your choice?
If I were the kid, I would want that to be the choice at that point. no hope of recovery he might learn to hold his head up but he will never have the quality of life he had before. I wouldnt want to be a burden on my family financially. I would never eat a slug but if something ever happened and I was in that kids shoes I wouldnt want to keep going like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 04:02 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,404,147 times
Honestly, it is hard for me to feel compassion for him because of what he did. It is debatable on whether one can say "his health condition is because he brought it upon himself", but I would have to agree with that statement. You choose to eat a slug out of a dare and now you have to face the consequences, even if you made that decision at age 10 or 11.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:15 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,088,455 times
Quote:
How can so many of you be so insensitive? Sure this kid did something dumb. But now his life is gone. And those who describe his life now and the cost of keeping him alive, who is going to make the decision to pull all the assistance and let him die? Is that your choice?
Well, under a socialized/gov't medical program, wouldn't the State make that decision?

Old 03-09-2018, 04:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,860,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Well, under a socialized/gov't medical program, wouldn't the State make that decision?
Nope. However under a capitalist insurance system, your insurer is more than willing to let you die if you get too expensive.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,392,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
If I were the kid, I would want that to be the choice at that point. no hope of recovery he might learn to hold his head up but he will never have the quality of life he had before. I wouldnt want to be a burden on my family financially. I would never eat a slug but if something ever happened and I was in that kids shoes I wouldnt want to keep going like that.
What choice does he have?

Old 03-10-2018, 12:02 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
Quote:

While it may be insensitive not everyone is gonna gush over such stupidity.

If I was in such situation I would have no interest in living being a burden to my family. I would want to go

Old 03-10-2018, 03:12 AM

2,308 posts, read 1,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
No, except that euthanasia is illegal in all states except Victoria. There it is only legal if a person has an illness with six months or less to live. It is certainly legal to choose to have life support turned off and that is very common. It is legal in Western Australia and I think elsewhere to choose to starve yourself. It is legal to refuse any sort of treatment. The choice is with the patient within the bounds of the prevailing law. The state governments are responsible for the laws on euthanasia. Medical decisions are made by the doctors in consultation with patients or their nominee. Insurers, if one has private insurance, do not have a role in medical decisions to my knowledge. The role of the state is only legislative. For example in my state it is illegal to administer a drug to euthanise a patient and it is illegal to assist in a suicide.

Old 03-10-2018, 05:41 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,273,278 times
Quote:
I would hope it is the families. If it was my son, and he was never going to be better, I'd allow him to die in peace. Lying in a bed on complete life support isn't living. Why is it that people seldom subject their pets to 'living' in great pain or no longer responsive because the pet won't suffer anymore. I know at least in the US the patient must file a directive on the scope of treatment. Many people have them as they don't wish to be kept alive when everything they are is already gone.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:22 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Nope. However under a capitalist insurance system, your insurer is more than willing to let you die if you get too expensive.
In our system insurance would have stopped paying once he was on maintenance care. He would be on Medicaid now in a nursing home if he were here.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:29 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I would hope it is the families. If it was my son, and he was never going to be better, I'd allow him to die in peace. Lying in a bed on complete life support isn't living. Why is it that people seldom subject their pets to 'living' in great pain or no longer responsive because the pet won't suffer anymore. I know at least in the US the patient must file a directive on the scope of treatment. Many people have them as they don't wish to be kept alive when everything they are is already gone.
It's hard when the time comes. My mother was my grandmothers health care POA and when the time came in the hospital asked whether to give her a feeding tube or let her die in case of emergency, my mom was freaking out and unable to make the choice even though my grandmom did have a living will. I had to say no to the hospital.

No one would expect a 12 year old to have an Advance Directive though. I don't atually think a healthy minor could even get one, the law would not allow a minor to decide that for himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events