Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2018, 10:30 AM

501 posts, read 360,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Blaming the passenger is quite a stretch here... the airline staff was idiotic to put a animal in the overhead bins that are meant for luggage. This airline clearly has very poorly trained staff and very poor decision making in general. Time after time their staff including upto the level of the CEO has exhibited exceptionally poor judgement. Even a moron knows not to put an animal in a spot that may be compromised for ventilation and that animals encounter stress in these situations that can cause their demise.
Blaming the passenger is hardly a stretch.....

If FA was unaware of regulations, policies or whatever that doesn't absolve the owner who ALLOWED the poorly trained staff to take poorly trained staff actions.

Passenger could have said something along the lines of "I believe you are mistaken, I will disembark and catch the next flight with staff that know the policies/ regulations."

YMMV
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 10:38 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,959,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
One of the first comments in this thread was "Keep your pets at home". Well what if I need to move my pet to a new home 2,500 miles away? Am I allowed to use an airline to transport my pet or should I drive with them in the car for 36 hours?
If you aren't crossing any oceans, I would say drive. You can control the length of daily travel time, you can stop for rest breaks whenever you want to (or the animal needs to), and you don't have to worry about other people grumbling about the fact that there is an animal in their midst. It will be much less stressful for the pets as well.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:50 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If you click one of the links in the story, the woman also was traveling with an infant and possibly a preteen girl. She had a lot going on.

Maybe she would have protested but was worried about being dragged off the flight.
Leave one of the kids home.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:54 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,552,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
If you aren't crossing any oceans, I would say drive. You can control the length of daily travel time, you can stop for rest breaks whenever you want to (or the animal needs to), and you don't have to worry about other people grumbling about the fact that there is an animal in their midst. It will be much less stressful for the pets as well.
36 hours in a carrier in a car + 4-6 nights in a hotel isn't less stressful for my pet than being a plane for 5 hours in a carrier bag under the seat in front of me.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:10 AM

12,883 posts, read 14,005,331 times
Quote:
36 hours in a carrier in a car + 4-6 nights in a hotel isn't less stressful for my pet than being a plane for 5 hours in a carrier bag under the seat in front of me.
My dog gets anxiety when we take her new places, because she associates it with us going away. When we go away and someone watches her, they often watch her at their house because it's easier than coming into ours various times a day to let her out and feed her. She even freaks when she sees suitcases, even if only one person is going away (like on business) and everyone else is staying put. It takes some times for her to settle down once in a new place. She would be in a constant state of anxiety on a cross-country road trip. She would also be nervous on a plane, but like you said, the plane ride is a fraction of the driving time and she'll be settled in her new place much faster that way.

Dogs have feelings and can manifest them. I am not a crazy dog person who treats my dog like a human, but I do treat her like she has feelings, because she does. I do try to consider her interests as much as I reasonably can in a situation that involves her. If I wanted to treat my dog like something I have complete control over, screw her interests and safety and put her at risk, well... I wouldn't have a dog.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,384,492 times
Quote:
One of the first comments in this thread was "Keep your pets at home". Well what if I need to move my pet to a new home 2,500 miles away? Am I allowed to use an airline to transport my pet or should I drive with them in the car for 36 hours?
This is one reason why airlines try to accommodate people and their smaller pets.
My son and his girlfriend had to move across the country a few months ago, and they had two cats with them. They didn't want to put the cats through such a long trip, but there was little other choice in the matter. So they had the cats lightly sedated to help them relax, and had them in carriers on a plane that allowed pet carriers in the cabin section.

My heart truly goes out to the family who lost their pup. Absolutely avoidable tragedy, and not the family's fault. Very often, if someone is reassured by a person who is (supposedly) in control and is aware of regulations tells them that their pet will be fine, they will believe it. The family was grossly misled. Many of us would resist and would not do such a thing (yes, I would be one of them), but many others would also take the airline employee at their word, believing that what they were being told - that there would be no harm in putting the dog carrier in the overhead bin - was true.

The onus on this one was the airline employee.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:25 AM

19,658 posts, read 12,255,986 times
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ow...8Wa?li=BBnb7Kz

Quote:
"'It's a dog, it's a dog.' He can't breathe up there.' And she said, 'It doesn't matter, it still goes up there.... She felt the dog and she put him up there," Sophia recalled.
I hope this isn't true.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:27 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,554,114 times
Curious if anyone here has ever seen an animal be placed in the overhead bins before? It seems like an odd choice - why not put another piece of luggage in that spot instead?

Old 03-14-2018, 11:30 AM

423 posts, read 289,431 times
United Airlines requires dogs to be in carriers with 4 sides ventilation for brachyocephalic dogs> https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ls/kennel.html.
Not only that, French Bulldogs adults are not allowed at all, only puppies up to 6 months. This puppy was older than that.

These restrictions apply to purebreds and mixes of these breeds.
Pet policies based on origin or destination
Embargoed dog breeds: Short-nosed
Embargo details
Travel conditions
English Bulldogs
French Bulldogs
Olde English Bulldogges
Shorty Bulldogs
Spanish Alano/Alano
Español/Spanish Bulldog*
Adult dogs are not accepted for travel at any time
Embargo does not apply to puppies up to six months and less than 20 pounds
*Spanish Alano puppies may be accepted up to six months old, if less than 60 pounds.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:40 AM

16,427 posts, read 12,533,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackberryMerlot View Post
United Airlines requires dogs to be in carriers with 4 sides ventilation for brachyocephalic dogs> https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ls/kennel.html.
Not only that, French Bulldogs adults are not allowed at all, only puppies up to 6 months. This puppy was older than that.

These restrictions apply to purebreds and mixes of these breeds.
Pet policies based on origin or destination
Embargoed dog breeds: Short-nosed
Embargo details
Travel conditions
English Bulldogs
French Bulldogs
Olde English Bulldogges
Shorty Bulldogs
Spanish Alano/Alano
Español/Spanish Bulldog*
Adult dogs are not accepted for travel at any time
Embargo does not apply to puppies up to six months and less than 20 pounds
*Spanish Alano puppies may be accepted up to six months old, if less than 60 pounds.
The page you linked is regarding pets transported in the cargo hold. Not pets flying in the cabin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events