Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 03:21 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times

Advertisements

https://nypost.com/2018/03/13/dog-di...-overhead-bin/

The few times I've taken United, it has been an average or even pleasant time. I suppose for most of the millions of people United flies it’s the same.

United needs to get its employees under control. These horrible PR catastrophes will be the death of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:41 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
The article I read says the passenger was told by the flight attendants to put the puppy in the overhead bin. I haven't flown in years, but aren't you allowed to carry the carrier in your lap, or under your seat?

Old 03-13-2018, 03:43 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
Yes, the carrier should fit under the seat in front of you.

The FA should have had the passenger de-boarded. Also did the FA know there was a dog in the carrier? I've seen alot of carriers that look just like any other overhead bags.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:58 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
It sounds like the puppy was put in the correct spot at one point (under the seat) and then for some reason was forced in the overhead bin. It sounds like the dog owners did everything right, besides put their foot down when the flight attendant put the dog in the bin.

P.S. Of course they knew there was a dog in there.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:04 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
Keep your pets at home. If pets were meant to fly, they would have wings instead of 4 legs.
Passengers who insist on taking their pets, need to be 100% +100% aware that it is their risk and risk to the pet. Owner's liability if their pet hinders the FA's, passengers, smells, allergies, and other flight safety.

A pet carrier under the seat. Gotta be a very very small animal. Maybe a snake?

Old 03-13-2018, 04:05 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
It sounds like the puppy was put in the correct spot at one point (under the seat) and then for some reason was forced in the overhead bin. It sounds like the dog owners did everything right, besides put their foot down when the flight attendant put the dog in the bin.

P.S. Of course they knew there was a dog in there.
The flight attendant said she didnt know there was a dog. The picture of the dog carrier they used looks like a normal bag from the outside.

I fully blame the family for this dog's death. What idiot puts their dog into the overhead bin for 3 hours? Not once did they get up and check on their dog? They were just completely fine with it suffocating to death. Horrible people, hopefully they don't get another animal as they have shown they're not responsible pet owners.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:08 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
If you click one of the links in the story, the woman also was traveling with an infant and possibly a preteen girl. She had a lot going on.

Maybe she would have protested but was worried about being dragged off the flight.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:10 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Keep your pets at home. If pets were meant to fly, they would have wings instead of 4 legs.
I doubt you have wings, so does the same logic apply to you?

Quote:
A pet carrier under the seat. Gotta be a very very small animal. Maybe a snake?
Ive only flown with s pet once, a beagle mix. Her crate fit under the seat just fine. We were moving cross country. She slept the entire flight, never made a sound. The man sitting bext to me was shocked when I opened the top of her crate to pet her while waiting to get off the plane. He sat for 3 hours with a dog inches from his feet, and never knew she was there.

My dachshund has a travel crate that would also fit under the seat if needed.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:11 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Who the hell lets a flight attendant put their dog in an overhead bin?
And what kind of idiot flight attendant thinks you can put a dog in an overhead bin?

At least United took full responsibility right off the bat.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM

19,844 posts, read 12,102,488 times
From the pictures it appears to be a 10 month old (possible) Pug puppy. Pugs are brachycephalic. From Wikipedia:

“Because all of these components make it more difficult to breathe, in situations of exercise, stress, or heat, an animal with these abnormalities may be unable to take deep or fast enough breaths to blow off carbon dioxide. This leads to distress and further increases respiratory rate and heart rate, creating a vicious circle that can quickly lead to a life threatening situation.”

Heartbreaking for this puppy. His last hours were not easy. His owner should have known enough about the breed of her dog to foresee this outcome and absolutely should have spoken up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events