Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:24 AM

1,186 posts, read 965,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You don’t even need to get a bidet. You can get a washlet to add to a regular toilet that will do the same thing, which will work for spaces that have smaller footprints. In some places in Asia they just have the hose option.
In India almost every bathroom has a small hose with a sprayer attached that typically hangs on the wall next to the toilet. After I got over the initial user confusion, I actually miss that now that I'm back the US! I think a lot of Asian countries would actually consider American toileting habits to be unhygienic because there is not a water source involved for cleaning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2018, 12:31 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
I bought one of those bidet attachments for my home toliet a long time ago. Will never go back to just toilet paper.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:43 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
You don’t even need to get a bidet. You can get a washlet to add to a regular toilet that will do the same thing, which will work for spaces that have smaller footprints. In some places in Asia they just have the hose option.
I was actually thinking about the bidet attachments, which don't take up anymore room than the toilet people already have in their bathroom.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:18 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I was actually thinking about the bidet attachments, which don't take up anymore room than the toilet people already have in their bathroom.
So if we use a bidet we save paper/trees, and if we use good old TP we save water (that a bidet would use). I seem to recall the toilet fixture industry being pressured to reduce a toilet's water/flushing capacity not to long ago, which resulted in barely enough water flow to move solid waste. So we now attach a bidet to the low flow toilet, and negate some of the water saving (?). IMO there are far more productive ways to save reduce paper usage than doing away with toilet paper. A very good place to start would be the U.S. government printing office, and every bureaucracy that tends to make unnecessary & redundant paperwork it's sole purpose for existence.
Nope, I'm staying with the old fashioned variety of flushable TP. Thanks, but no thanks.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
So if we use a bidet we save paper/trees, and if we use good old TP we save water (that a bidet would use). I seem to recall the toilet fixture industry being pressured to reduce a toilet's water/flushing capacity not to long ago, which resulted in barely enough water flow to move solid waste. So we now attach a bidet to the low flow toilet, and negate some of the water saving (?). IMO there are far more productive ways to save reduce paper usage than doing away with toilet paper. A very good place to start would be the U.S. government printing office, and every bureaucracy that tends to make unnecessary & redundant paperwork it's sole purpose for existence.
Nope, I'm staying with the old fashioned variety of flushable TP. Thanks, but no thanks.

I'm not sure how you turned this topic into a political statement.

The bidet is about cleanliness, not saving trees. You don't clean your hands by rubbing them on a towel, so why would people expect other areas of the body to be free of filth and bacteria with just some paper?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:38 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I had more than enough trouble putting used toilet paper in the garbage cans is Greece. (Signs everywhere)

The pipes are too small to handle the paper.

Pretty disgusting!
I've lived over there, and despite all the dire claims - some of which are shadowed in this article, poop-carried diseases are not a major health problem there.

It's the ick factor plain and simple for those not used to the custom. Americans love this sort of "news." It's why a Poop Coven meets regularly in the Health forum.

Old 03-18-2018, 03:29 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I'm not sure how you turned this topic into a political statement.

The bidet is about cleanliness, not saving trees. You don't clean your hands by rubbing them on a towel, so why would people expect other areas of the body to be free of filth and bacteria with just some paper?
That wasn't my intention, and I don't think I did. Had I mentioned one political group as 'government wasting paper', then maybe you would have a point. What I should have pointed out in my post is that private businesses also waste tons of paper every day with their endless junk-mail marketing. My intention was to say that much more paper is wasted by other sources than toilet paper.

I didn't introduce the tree-saving theme into this thread. Other posters did that, and I was responding to them.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:50 PM

9,068 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Sort of like the custom in Mexico of putting used toilet paper in the trash can which is next to the toilet. That way it doesn't choke the sewer pipes.
So that's where that practice originated! The first time I saw it was in the men's room of a Yoplait yogurt factory where I was assigned to do an overnight security detail.

Old 03-18-2018, 06:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladlensky View Post
In India almost every bathroom has a small hose with a sprayer attached that typically hangs on the wall next to the toilet. After I got over the initial user confusion, I actually miss that now that I'm back the US! I think a lot of Asian countries would actually consider American toileting habits to be unhygienic because there is not a water source involved for cleaning.
Well most people in India defecate out in the open so they have no reason to get too high and mighty about their "superior" hygiene habits.

Old 03-18-2018, 08:08 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,814,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I bought one of those bidet attachm can't even ents for my home toliet a long time ago. Will never go back to just toilet paper.
Oh, yes! I like that bidet idea..and it solves the 'chunks' problem mentioned in an earlier post.
But I would 'toss chunks' if I had to save soiled cloths... aggh, I am getting dry heaves just thinking about it.

Put me down for the HELL NO camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events