Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 12:46 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
Hey at least non of the relative group was a boy who believes he is a girl.

LOL not yet. But the axing of the swimsuit competition will certainly make it easy for cross-dressers to enter without fear of showing their schminkis and thereby answering the question which shall not be asked.

Beyond that, the Miss America pageant, er...competition, is irrelevant today. Yes, prancing around in a swimsuit and heels was always silly. But these women are still starving themselves for two weeks before the event, donning hair extensions, and pretending they're interested in scholarships, when most just want to be the next Entertainment Today "correspondent."

I had to laugh at all of the "empowerment" buzzwords being bandied about, complete with oversized photos of women flexing their muscles. Strange, and hypocritical, given the current charges against the MA honchos who'd been trying to muzzle outgoing MA, Cara Mund, and a host of others who'd signed a statement. Indeed, Mund made appearances last week on morning squawk shows and was reminded by the MA organization, that she was doing so without permission. What's that about empowerment? I see.

The 1950s called, and even they don't want this thing back, cattle-walk or not. And despite the hype, viewership has hit a NEW low.

Big surprise.

Last edited by Delahanty; 09-10-2018 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2018, 11:29 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I missed hearing the Miss America song too. The little blurbs that came on the bottom of the screen while each was performing in Talon however stating their accomplishments, I was so impressed. The woman who won is in process of earning her doctorate in music composition. She wants to go to either Juilliard or Princeton to finish. One of the runners up already invented a device for pacemakers so that they don’t have to be charged. The people who think that these women are bimbos or that Miss America is no different than Miss USA or others have never really watched Miss America. Those women were amazing!
I was very impressed with the accomplishments of these young women, too - they all seem highly educated, motivated, and ready to make a difference in the world. I always thought there was a big difference between Miss America and Miss USA, too, with the latter more focused on glamour and looks, etc. while Miss America was a scholarship organization.

I hope in the future, they will get their runway back and also the theme to Miss America, some traditional things are good to keep.

Old 09-11-2018, 03:09 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I missed hearing the Miss America song too. The little blurbs that came on the bottom of the screen while each was performing in Talon however stating their accomplishments, I was so impressed. The woman who won is in process of earning her doctorate in music composition. She wants to go to either Juilliard or Princeton to finish. One of the runners up already invented a device for pacemakers so that they don’t have to be charged. The people who think that these women are bimbos or that Miss America is no different than Miss USA or others have never really watched Miss America. Those women were amazing!
Boring.... No reason to watch. I would only watch if they bring back skimpy swimsuit competition...

Old 09-11-2018, 10:13 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
This self-imposed sanction will probably bring an end to the already-failing pageant.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:12 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
And the winning Miss New York's (ho-hum to the same old states making it into the top whatever) gown was a ripoff of Vanessa Williams' gown, if there ever was one. She'll call it "inspiration."

I know why there's no Miss Originality crown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events