Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 03:49 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,516,076 times

Advertisements

There's probably been more hit by trains in this same time period that I don't know about. Two were close to me and covered by Charlotte news and one managed to get hit by a historic train out west which made the "railroad and railfan" news. We'll start with her.
Quote:
Adams County Sheriff’s officials say the woman was taking pictures of the train and got too close before being hit. There were four or five other people also taking pictures of the passing train, but they were further back, according to officials.
I believe the train may have taken a track closer to her than she was expecting, but there's still no excuses to get hit by a train, especially one you not only know is coming, but you're there to take pictures of it. Sad for her and her family, but she'll forever be known as the photog who got killed by a steam engine.

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2018/07/...ts-pedestrian/

Two people were killed around Charlotte, NC by trains. I heard about these on the radio, so no links. One was killed because he was walking on the tracks listening to music via earbuds! SMH This actualy happens more often than some may think.
Quote:
"I knew it was dangerous, but I always thought if a train is coming I'll hear it far back and I'll be able to get off the tracks."

After being hit, Jones tried to pull himself out from under the train once it stopped.

"I raised my leg up and my foot was still on the ground. That was the worst sight ever, there was so much blood."he said.
https://www.wkrn.com/top-news/tennes...ive/1263489832

Someone always seems to ask the question how can you not hear a train. It must be easy, because it seems to happen kinda often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 04:41 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,232,801 times

Old 07-23-2018, 05:11 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,186,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Someone always seems to ask the question how can you not hear a train. It must be easy, because it seems to happen kinda often.
Well, even if your deaf, you should be smart enough to know exactly where it's going to go!

Old 07-23-2018, 05:16 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I guess this is how:

Dakota Jones was walking along the tracks with his headphones in on June 9. He said he never heard the train coming.

"I couldn't hear anything. The headphones were really loud, and I was blasting them, which was my mistake. I didn't hear anything at all," he recalled

Old 07-23-2018, 05:59 PM

1,065 posts, read 597,121 times
Pedestrians and motorists that trespass onto tracks are like drunk drivers. They both cause crashes.

(Trains don't hit people and other cars don't hit drunk drivers.)

Old 07-23-2018, 06:18 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
There's probably been more hit by trains in this same time period that I don't know about. Two were close to me and covered by Charlotte news and one managed to get hit by a historic train out west which made the "railroad and railfan" news. We'll start with her.
Almost certainly that is so.

About 400 pedestrians and 250 people in road vehicles are killed in train incidents every year in the United States. It should be noted that these figures are down significantly from two and three decades ago, and since the population of the U.S. has increased by over 50 million in that time, the corresponding death rates have dropped even more.

However, there is now social media and a 24/7 news cycle to fill, so a person is much more likely to hear about a given incident.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,072,821 times
Pedestrian v. train, vehicle v. train, animal v. train.----- Train always wins.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:41 PM

13,062 posts, read 7,497,585 times
Some trains are now 1.5 miles long. Takes a long time to slow it down.
Peeps think trains are just the width of the tracks and they magically squeeze in 4 seats or 2 pallets into 56.5 inches.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:59 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,124,801 times
I know this isn't the same kind of train you're talking about, but are you aware that around 50 people are hit and killed by NYC subway trains every year?

I am guessing that generally only a few of those that are hit are actually just walking/meandering on the track, and those who are must be well aware of the danger. The rest jump, fall or are pushed I suppose.

https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/201...mta-2016-year/

Old 07-23-2018, 09:19 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I guess this is how:

Dakota Jones was walking along the tracks with his headphones in on June 9. He said he never heard the train coming.

"I couldn't hear anything. The headphones were really loud, and I was blasting them, which was my mistake. I didn't hear anything at all," he recalled
I would like to hear the part where he explains what made him walk on railroad tracks and not think a train might also be on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events