Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:32 AM

579 posts, read 367,608 times

Advertisements

Part of the blame for this rests on the retailer for installing self-checkout in the first place. When an employee rings you up, it's extremely difficult to steal anything. It's also more convenient for the customer to watch an employee scan everything.

I HATE self-checkout. I refuse to use it. If I'm not going to get a discount for doing someone's job, then I'm not doing it.

What's next, are we expected to stock the shelves too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 AM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alonso Gil View Post
Part of the blame for this rests on the retailer for installing self-checkout in the first place. When an employee rings you up, it's extremely difficult to steal anything. It's also more convenient for the customer to watch an employee scan everything.
I HATE self-checkout. I refuse to use it. If I'm not going to get a discount for doing someone's job, then I'm not doing it.
I can't imagine how it would be easy to steal at self checkout. Everything that crosses the counter is weighed, even the reusable bags you bring with you. If the weight isn't right you can't go any further, if you put something on the counter that wasn't rung up you get a message to remove the item I guess you could cheat by ringing up organic avocados instead of the cheaper variety but I can't even imagine wasting my time to do something that silly. In any case at the stores I shop at the clerks watching the self checkouts seem to watch people quite closely

Old 08-20-2018, 12:32 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
Quote:

I only use self checkout if I have a few items. The self-checkouts are too slow for ringing up large orders, such as the case yesterday where I bought 30 cans of cat food.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:45 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,019,200 times
Oh God. Walmart's self-scanners have got to be the worst! Sounds like the daughter was clearly having issues. Where was the clerk to help her out?

I've used the self scanners (should say TRIED to use the self scanners) and something always goes wrong. And then the machine freezes up and says "Please wait for assistance" over and over again...presumably until someone finally walks over to assist me. After 6 or 7 times of "Please wait for assistance" I give up.

Old 08-20-2018, 12:46 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times
It'll be a cold day in a very hot place before I ever use self-checkout. I tried them a few times when they first came out and they are uber annoying, plus I buy a lot of produce - which I am expected to look up the proper price for myself to ring it up. Several times I had the computer yelling at me, announcing in a very loud voice that I had not rung something up (eg LOOKIE HERE, SHE'S STEALING!)

The things lock up, they scan incorrectly, they won't scan some things at all sometimes, the menus are confusing - for instance one place had bagels listed under deli instead of bakery, but I'm supposed to stand there and search for things like that? NO!

I wonder if there's a way to file a counterclaim in small claims court. At least for time lost for work, gas and mileage, child care expenses, filing fees.

This is just plain extortion. HEY, I see you gotta nice reputation here. Be a shame to see that spoiled. I got insurance for that. Gimme $400 and I'll see to it your reputation gets PROTECTED. Yeah. Be a real shame if somethin was ta happen to yer reputation.

I hate Valdemart anyway, this is just one more excellent reason to avoid them altogether.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,482,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Easy solution, don't steal. Wal-Mart and other companies are sick and tired of people stealing so they're doing what it takes to recover those loses. Good for them.
That makes no sense.

The retailers aren't the ones stealing. They're the ones with the problem. The loss isn't an issue for the thieves. So telling thieves 'don't steal' doesn't do anything for the retailer.

Note:
This isn't an excuse for Walmart's actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Law abiding Americans should not be punished with higher prices just because someone decided to steal and now wal-mart needs to make that money back
Quite true. But prices will always factor in losses, including thievery. It's hopelessly naive to think otherwise.

When you buy a Big Mac, you are paying in part for those Big Macs made that don't get sold and then get tossed after 20 minutes under the heat-lamp. When you buy a pharmaceutical, you're paying in part for counterfeits of that pharmaceutical. And when you but a widget, you're paying in part for shoplifted widgets.

It's always been that way and it will always be that way. I'm not justifying thievery - I'm just stating a fact.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
Personally I have never filed a law suit against any individual or corporation...however in cases such as these perhaps filing a counter law suit against these corporations would send a message to them and their ilk that these false accusations and subsequent disruptions to their lives and reputations will not be tolerated without consequences...to their bottom line (and they have plenty of bottom line).
I agree. But it's often hard for an individual to win against a giant corporation as they have far more money to pay their legal team. A class action lawsuit might have a better chance.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,373,059 times
Quote:

That actually isn't far fetched. Retailers increasingly passing on work to the customers. We check ourselves out, sack everything, and put the shopping carts back. This is not as easy for people who are 1) elderly or 2) disabled.

I think it's better to do online shopping whenever possible. You can even have groceries delivered now. There's often no reason to go into these stores.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:15 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree. But it's often hard for an individual to win against a giant corporation as they have far more money to pay their legal team. A class action lawsuit might have a better chance.
WalMart has already been the target of a class action suit by its employees for unfair hiring/promotion practices.

They got out from under it by claiming they are NOT a giant corporation, but only a poor helpless conglomeration of franchises.

I don't expect any better traction for regular people against a multi-billion dollar behemoth under the current administration. Orange is the new I-don't-give-a-flock.

Old 08-20-2018, 02:23 PM

374 posts, read 759,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That actually isn't far fetched. Retailers increasingly passing on work to the customers. We check ourselves out, sack everything, and put the shopping carts back. This is not as easy for people who are 1) elderly or 2) disabled.

I think it's better to do online shopping whenever possible. You can even have groceries delivered now. There's often no reason to go into these stores.
I agree about online shopping. More and more it seems like the best way to go. I buy almost everything online except groceries and I'll probably start doing that eventually.

A few weeks ago the Kroger down the street tore out almost all of their registers to make room for more self check outs and a scan-bag-go scanners. There are only 3 registers left and they are having employees "suggest" you use a self checkout if you don't have many items. Today I was waiting in line as I had a full cart. An older man in the line next to me only had 2 items. An employee approached him and offered to help him use the self checkout. He said "No, every one of those machines is taking a job away from someone". I wonder how long it will be before they do away with cashiers and registers all together.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/201...ore/429986002/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events