Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 03:17 PM

405 posts, read 257,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I believe the USA has the highest incarceration rate of any first world country and around 1% (one in hundred people) is incarcerated. Sentences are also very long here in the US. Americans criticize other countries punishments as barbaric or inhumane but we aren't far off from them.

The US has more people in prison than the rest of the world combined (outside or North Korea and China)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 03:24 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
The US has more people in prison than the rest of the world combined (outside or North Korea and China)
That's pretty scary. Our criminal justice system needs revision.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:43 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
That's pretty scary. Our criminal justice system needs revision.
Exactly! and increasing deterrence at an earlier stage in the process of "criminalizing" the individual, and at less cost (think "Sheriff Joe Arpaio") is central to the process. It's ugly, it's sometimes frightening -- but what we're doing now clearly is not working; it just creates an ever-expanding, over-sensitized army of bureaucrats and functionaries, at taxpayer expense -- while innocent victims continue to pay the price.

We cannot change the reality that multi-cultural societies, with a high rate of immigration, face higher crime rates than "civilized" Europe -- where everyone knows his/her place, and is usually kept in it. Rebellion and questioning of authority is central to the development of an advancing society but there is a price that will be extracted -- one way or another.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:52 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
What is your age group? I see that you refer to yourself as a girl rather than a woman.
Ha ha, I've been here a long time. I'm 56 now, late 30's when I started OLD the first time. It was actually harder dating in my 30's then 40's and 50's was. But yes, older men are especially prone to enjoying the traditional courtship dance, but I found younger guys that did as well. To me going Dutch makes it no different than going out with a friend. I think in my 30's was much harder to find men in general, but even more so men who wanted more traditional relationship roles. Online dating is hard, I'm very happy to be out of it.

A lot of men think it's about money, but it is not at all. In my current relationship, I actually pay more toward the household bills than he does, but he would never ever let me pull my wallet out in a restaurant or any other kind of date.

Old 08-30-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I believe the USA has the highest incarceration rate of any first world country and around 1% (one in hundred people) is incarcerated. Sentences are also very long here in the US. Americans criticize other countries punishments as barbaric or inhumane but we aren't far off from them.
We have waaay too many people in prison, for too many crimes that aren't violent, but I have to say we aren't even in the same ballpark as countries in the middle east or Asia or anywhere else with barbaric punishments. We aren't cutting people's hands off or putting them in cages and setting them on fire. C'mon now.

Half the problem is a lot of Americans WANT long sentences and want everyone and his brother thrown in jail. The other half is that throwing people into private prisons is highly profitable, and these prisons have a lot of connected investors and others who are looking to make a buck from the misfortune of others. Remember the juvenile court judge in PA who was taking kickbacks from a private juvenile detention facility in exchange for him sending kids there?

This man is probably not going to go to jail IMO. He probably should though considering the hair salon now that he walked out of without paying. This is probably part of a long history of this man going around stealing services and goods from people.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
We need to make petty criminal acts (and I'm speaking primarily of property-related offenses, which is where almost all of it starts) into a losing proposition from the first offense. When four gangsta-wannabees are caught joyriding in a stolen car, the result should be several long weekends in custody -- and the certainty that further criminal behavior will bring stronger punishment the next time around. The record shouldn't be expunged just because a thug-in-process turns eighteen.

There are a lot of no-goodniks (of every societal background) out there who simply need to be broken -- or the cycle will just escalate, and the consequences worsen.
That's just going to make them more hardened criminals. I don't see any benefit to society just giving up on 14 year olds. Stronger punishment has never been proven to be a deterrent to crime, just as the death penalty has never proved to be a deterrent.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:25 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
That's just going to make them more hardened criminals. I don't see any benefit to society just giving up on 14-year-olds. Stronger punishment has never been proven to be a deterrent to crime, just as the death penalty has never proved to be a deterrent.
Again, the object is not physical punishment and/or retribution; it is to reinforce the point that further resistance, or a bad attitude, will simply push the offender deeper into a hole. A 14-year-old ought to be able to recognize this, and some direct demonstration of the principle (such as a weekend or two of community service under a strong taskmaster) on the first offense, with the prospect of more in the event of a second, seems like the best way to get the point across,

Old 08-30-2018, 07:41 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/1123963002/

I hope he gets convicted and serves every single day. How crazy is it to do something so outrageous on numerous occasions?

13 years is over $1 million in taxpayer money. We don't need to punish the taxpayers too.

Give him 6 months in jail and then 13 years probation where he has to bus tables every weekend in a restaurant.

Old 08-30-2018, 07:46 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm struggling with whether this is technically a crime.

Women do this with REAL regularity, either doing the exact same thing and feigning needing to go to the bathroom and exiting during a bad date, or indicating interest in the relationship and ordering lobster and steak and the most expensive bottle of wine, and then coldly leaving at the end. Is that the same?

What about when you get a group of 8 or so to go on a ski trip and split the lodge rental, and one person finds the ski lodge and pays upfront, and they go on the vacation but don't reimburse the person who put up the lodge rent. Is that a crime? I don't think so, although they could certainly sue in civil court and might win.

Good points. If the women paid the restaurants then its a civil matter between them and the guy.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:00 PM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Good points. If the women paid the restaurants then its a civil matter between them and the guy.
This is what I'm getting stuck on too.

How can it be larceny of the item (food) wasn't literally stolen? Someone paid for it.

The ditch at the salon WAS theft. But petty theft, not grand larceny, unless the haircut cost $951.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events