Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 08:05 PM

405 posts, read 257,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We aren't cutting people's hands off or putting them in cages and setting them on fire. C'mon now.

You KNOW it's bad when you have to go to the most extremist countries on earth to feel better about ourselves. How about we start looking at the systems of civilized countries and see what works for them and how we can duplicate it here?

Believe me, if you read the comments below any crime story, there are MANY people who would love to bring those barbaric practices here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 08:08 PM

405 posts, read 257,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
13 years is over $1 million in taxpayer money. We don't need to punish the taxpayers too.

Give him 6 months in jail and then 13 years probation where he has to bus tables every weekend in a restaurant.

They should add up the cost of the meals he stole (a few hundred dollars at most) and the punishment should be the same as for anyone else who steals that amount. Petty larceny at best.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:10 PM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
13 years is over $1 million in taxpayer money. We don't need to punish the taxpayers too.

Give him 6 months in jail and then 13 years probation where he has to bus tables every weekend in a restaurant.
It has been explained several times. He is not getting that sentence. They throw that high figure out there hoping to get a plea bargain. He will probably not serve more than 30 days, and I am guessing he will not even serve that. He will more than likely get probation and have to pay restitution.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:20 PM

50,788 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Again, the object is not physical punishment and/or retribution; it is to reinforce the point that further resistance, or a bad attitude, will simply push the offender deeper into a hole. A 14-year-old ought to be able to recognize this, and some direct demonstration of the principle (such as a weekend or two of community service under a strong taskmaster) on the first offense, with the prospect of more in the event of a second, seems like the best way to get the point across,
It's not. 14 year olds committing crimes are often angry kids, often fatherless kids, depressed kids. Harshly punishing an angry kid makes him an angrier kid. A kid who doesn't care about himself let alone others. That is a kid who will grow to be a worse criminal.

There are entire communities where having been to jail is a passage of manhood. This is a lot more complicated than you would like it to be.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,722,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
They should add up the cost of the meals he stole (a few hundred dollars at most) and the punishment should be the same as for anyone else who steals that amount. Petty larceny at best.
They did add up the cost of the meals, and that amount is considered grand theft under California penal code. Seems he had rather expensive tastes.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
It has been explained several times. He is not getting that sentence. They throw that high figure out there hoping to get a plea bargain. He will probably not serve more than 30 days, and I am guessing he will not even serve that. He will more than likely get probation and have to pay restitution.
The police didn't throw that out there. They simply said they were charging him with however many counts of fraud or whatever it was. Then the media took the max possible sentence for fraud and multiplies it by however many counts he was charged with, thus they arrive at a maximum possible sentence.

Even crimes like shoplifting carry possible harsh jail time, but not one actually gets the max especially for a first offense. He will probably get probation. People are too reactive and need to think a little more before being outraged.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
They did add up the cost of the meals, and that amount is considered grand theft under California penal code. Seems he had rather expensive tastes.
Yes, and at one, he ordered 2 entrees, explaining it as he's a bodybuilder to his date.

For those saying I wonder if the women expected him to pay...I am guessing he probably told them he was going to. People still like to think this was a real date he was setting up, but he contacted these women only to ask them to dinner with the plan of walking out. He would've said whatever he had to to get them to agree.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
You KNOW it's bad when you have to go to the most extremist countries on earth to feel better about ourselves. How about we start looking at the systems of civilized countries and see what works for them and how we can duplicate it here?

Believe me, if you read the comments below any crime story, there are MANY people who would love to bring those barbaric practices here.
That was meant for the poster who said that we weren't far off from the most barbaric countries. That is simply not true. However I did start my post saying we have way too many people in jail, and again I think it's a combination of "tough guy" America attitude that harshness is the answer to everything, and (mostly) that there are vast sums of money involved for everyone from police unions to Wall Street billionaires. Both of which make hefty political contributions.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-30-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 08:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
I wanted to know what this guy looked like and why so many women went on dates with him.

I found a photograph. He looks gay. (No, I'm not using that as an insult, it's strictly an observation).

https://www.hotnewhiphop.com/las-din...ews.58446.html

It's also noted that he walked out of a hair salon without paying and I think that's one of the charges against him now.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:07 PM

30,166 posts, read 11,795,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
This is what I'm getting stuck on too.

How can it be larceny of the item (food) wasn't literally stolen? Someone paid for it.

The ditch at the salon WAS theft. But petty theft, not grand larceny, unless the haircut cost $951.

Its like if two friends go to lunch and one of them refuses to pay their half. Is the next move to call the police on the friend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events