Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 10:00 AM

405 posts, read 257,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But you don't. First dates should be casual, coffee and dessert, etc. Whats wrong with Starbucks or grabbing a sandwich or ice cream.
Why do guys choose to go to a high end restaurant or spend a lot of money on a first date?

Oh Jeez, is there an Emily Post book on what people "should" do on first dates? Is everything lived by what "should" be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:03 AM

405 posts, read 257,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
He doesn't deserve 13 years that's for sure. I think he's got issues, though, and he needs counseling and therapy.
No, some people are just jerks. Not everything is a reason to make counselors and therapists richer. He's not mentally ill, just a jerk. I don't know why, if he wanted to be a jerk, that he didn't do the dine and dash solo.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:06 AM

712 posts, read 530,147 times
13 years....Ridiculous Draconian prison sentence. Our government is really getting out of control and becoming absolutely brutal in handing outs sentences. Next, we'll be bringing the death penalty for crimes where no one was murdered(sex offenses, drug dealers ect). and all the twitter mobs will cheer. Hell people call for the death penalty for people who shot a lion. Human life is cheap I guess. Twitter/fb has become the modern day village mob with their torches wanting public executions. Savages.

I wonder if a FEMALE had done the exact same thing, would she even have been arrested? You know damn well she would NEVER have been arrested. I thought women were looking for equality. Feminists only want equality when it benefits them. They want all the positives of being a man, but none of the negatives. lol

I wouldn't give the guy a day in jail. I'd make him pay back what he owes and do some community service and I'd give the same sentence to a female if she did that.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:46 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
No, some people are just jerks. Not everything is a reason to make counselors and therapists richer. He's not mentally ill, just a jerk. I don't know why, if he wanted to be a jerk, that he didn't do the dine and dash solo.
My guess is, because that's clearly a crime. Dining with someone else and walking the check and forcing them to pay is done all the time, in varying shades, and it isn't a crime.

For example, the reason why restaurants are so happy now to go to the extra work of offering individual checks to diners is because in groups of women, the women somehow are completely unable to calculate what they owe, and short the bill by several dollars. Making someone else at the table make up the difference, and then there's hardly any tip.

So there are many shades of grey here, with what this guy did, but I am shocked that it's technically illegal.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:50 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,527,280 times
Some people murder others and get less time than this guy could get. We sure got our justice system screwed up.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:50 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,562,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
My guess is, because that's clearly a crime. Dining with someone else and walking the check and forcing them to pay is done all the time, in varying shades, and it isn't a crime.

For example, the reason why restaurants are so happy now to go to the extra work of offering individual checks to diners is because in groups of women, the women somehow are completely unable to calculate what they owe, and short the bill by several dollars. Making someone else at the table make up the difference, and then there's hardly any tip.

So there are many shades of grey here, with what this guy did, but I am shocked that it's technically illegal.
ocnjgirl explained it to you in post# 62.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWLC View Post
Oh Jeez, is there an Emily Post book on what people "should" do on first dates? Is everything lived by what "should" be?
It's not about etiquette, but it's a perfect solution for men who complain about buying dinner for women who never dated them again. Personally I hated sitting down to eat when I knew in the first 5 minutes I wasn't interested, it made for a long dinner. I always offered to pay my part if I wasn't interested however (in fact me pulling out my wallet was a sure sign I wasn't interested).

Also when you're spending a lot on dates, people want to talk forever and see a million pics before they ask you for a date. When you just meet for a quick cup of coffee or drink, you can meet right away even if you're unsure it's a match, because you're not going to be out money or time if it's not.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:13 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
13 years....Ridiculous Draconian prison sentence. Our government is really getting out of control and becoming absolutely brutal in handing outs sentences. Next, we'll be bringing the death penalty for crimes where no one was murdered(sex offenses, drug dealers ect). and all the twitter mobs will cheer. Hell people call for the death penalty for people who shot a lion. Human life is cheap I guess. Twitter/fb has become the modern day village mob with their torches wanting public executions. Savages.

I wonder if a FEMALE had done the exact same thing, would she even have been arrested? You know damn well she would NEVER have been arrested. I thought women were looking for equality. Feminists only want equality when it benefits them. They want all the positives of being a man, but none of the negatives. lol

I wouldn't give the guy a day in jail. I'd make him pay back what he owes and do some community service and I'd give the same sentence to a female if she did that.
He is not going to get 13 years. People who think that are being ridiculous. They simply added up the max sentence of his charge and multiplied it by the number of victims to arrive at a "possible" max sentence. He probably won't get any jail time at all.

As for whether a female would be charged, yes I think so. But we cannot say until men actually file a compliant against one. However it wasn't just women he was being charged for, two of the restaurants that ate the bill pressed charges as well. On one date, he ordered TWO entrees, telling his date it's because he's a bodybuilder. In another article, it states he also walked out of a hair salon after getting services and not paying. Again, this is NOT about dating, this man was NEVER interested in dating anyone.

"Gonzales allegedly defrauded more than $950 overall in his scheme at restaurants in Pasadena, Long Beach, Burbank and Los Angeles. The DA's office also said he is accused of leaving a hair salon without paying in an unrelated incident."

Old 08-30-2018, 11:14 AM

2,306 posts, read 1,702,861 times
The headline is a bit dramatic. This man faces up to 13 years if he is found guilty of the charges against him. It sounds like what he was charged with several counts of extortion and petty theft all of which add up to 13 years maximum if he's found guilty. Most likely some will be dropped, others reduced, etc, etc. In the end he will get something like a year's probation. We see it all the time.

He will most likely be convicted of something and for what he's done, yes, he should face some punishment. It's not right to defraud people. It seems he has a history of doing this to businesses as well. At least one article I read on it says the charges against him include him walking out on a hair salon bill. So this isn't a case of a misunderstanding on a date. It's a case of someone calculating to steal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post

To answer your bolded question, sure she would. Why not? This kind of thing is not common though, I mean every article about a person dining and dashing like this is about this guy. There are no stories about women or even other men doing it. It's unusual.

Now, if you are talking about "food diggers" who go on dates and coyly get their date to pay for the whole thing with no intention of seeing the guy again, yeah, that's pretty low-life too. But in those cases, the other person has a choice. If someone does that to you, you could say, "no, you are paying for your food." Yeah, you might get suckered into it and feel guilty and then be mad at the woman afterwards. But in the end, you had a choice. This man gave these women no such choice.

Another question would be, would he be charged with anything at all if he just sat there and told the woman he couldn't pay for the bill.

Last edited by TMBGBlueCanary; 08-30-2018 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 11:14 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But you don't. First dates should be casual, coffee and dessert, etc. Whats wrong with Starbucks or grabbing a sandwich or ice cream.
Why do guys choose to go to a high end restaurant or spend a lot of money on a first date?
I never knew any men who chose an upscale restaurant for a first date, especially if they didn't know the person very well.

Also, dating norms vary from one culture to the next. In some countries, dutch dating is the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events