Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 09:03 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/1123963002/

I hope he gets convicted and serves every single day. How crazy is it to do something so outrageous on numerous occasions?
If we put every single person in prison that took $950 in property from others, we'd probably need to put 10% or more of this country in prison. That would be about 30 million people.

Since prison costs the taxpayers about $40,000 per year, per inmate, I think a lot of people would be up in arms.

People like this guy need to be penalized. A short jail sentence and a restitution order are called for.

Its idiotic though to make the taxpayers a greater victim than the women he met and restaurants he cheated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 12:20 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/1123963002/

I hope he gets convicted and serves every single day. How crazy is it to do something so outrageous on numerous occasions?
Yes, he stole and yes, he is an idiot, but, he didn't kill anyone..put him on probation or better yet, let him work off that $950 and ban him from the affected establishments for life. People who have done worse get less time. facts....

Old 09-04-2018, 12:22 PM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Many SAHMs have their own source of income. They aren't all financially dependent just because they are at home with kids. And the financial dependence goes both ways, because if the SAHM died suddenly, her husband would be on the hook for childcare expenses. He'd have to find a nanny or pay for full time daycare. You fail to see how being a stay at home parent is a financial benefit. You probably think stay at home parents just watch TV all day long.
Wow, all that from this statement: Women in my circle aren't financially dependent on men with the exception of two SAHMs, and they certainly earn their keep.
Sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:29 PM

24,619 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Its idiotic though to make the taxpayers a greater victim than the women he met and restaurants he cheated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
Yes, he stole and yes, he is an idiot, but, he didn't kill anyone..put him on probation or better yet, let him work off that $950 and ban him from the affected establishments for life. People who have done worse get less time. facts....
He’s 45 years old and being charged with 7 counts of felony extortion.

He should’ve thought about the consequences a lot sooner

Old 09-04-2018, 12:32 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
I agree. He should just be required to pay back the $950 and not be allowed back in those places that he ripped off. That's about it. Jail time isn't warranted here.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,090,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
I wonder how many of those women were expecting him to cover the entire bill when they sat down to eat.
There certainly is a certain irony to it, which would be funny if the OP was intending that.

But I think he's just an idiot.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:31 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
He hasn't gotten any time yet. That is just the max number of years a person could possibly get multiplying the max sentence by each charge. There is no reason to think he's going to get years in jail.

I do find it ironic though that on shoplifting threads people generally want the book thrown at people, yet see this as more "okay" kind of theft.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:38 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,953,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
He hasn't gotten any time yet. That is just the max number of years a person could possibly get multiplying the max sentence by each charge. There is no reason to think he's going to get years in jail.

I do find it ironic though that on shoplifting threads people generally want the book thrown at people, yet see this as more "okay" kind of theft.
I think it's because this is a little confusing.

The Salon is a different story.

I've spent as much time as I'm going to to try to find out where they arrived at the $950 amount, and it's not out there in public as far as I can tell.

If it is to cover the date's food, I still say no, that's not fair.

He doesn't owe for his dates.

So that's where I'm stuck.

What I would like to see happen is they calculate what he owes, give it back to whoever he owes, a plea of guilty to theft and deferred adjudication. If he's caught dashing again, we have a problem. Otherwise, deferred adjudication, dismissed after a year of probation.

Which is probably exactly what will happen.

Old 09-04-2018, 11:33 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,125,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
In order for women to have done the equivalent "crime" as this guy has done, they would have had to:

1) Asked the guy out first (which implies they will pay for everything)
Does it?

Or is it YOUR OPINION that it does?
Might someone else have a differing opinion?

If the male decided towards the end of the date that he was only paying for his own meal, paid, said goodbye and left.... Is it actionable?

No point discussing anything with you so long as you live in your own little world.
(Said the guy who has paid for many dates with women he chose to never see again.)

Old 09-05-2018, 11:21 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Does it?

If the male decided towards the end of the date that he was only paying for his own meal, paid, said goodbye and left.... Is it actionable?
No it wouldn't be.

I also think (hypothetically) if a woman had dined and then walked out, the restaurant would have forced her date to pay or called the cops on him. They wouldn't have called the police on the woman who walked out on her check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events