Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 10:25 AM

6,126 posts, read 4,614,901 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed this?

This certainly isn't the case for patriotic oriented holidays like Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, etc.

I'm not saying the people or events that those holidays celebrate shouldn't be honored. They most definitely should, with appreciation and respect, so I have no problem with those holidays.

However, minus a few independently-thinking media sources, there is a stark absence of coverage of the meaning behind Labor Day (i.e. legal protections to avoid the abuse of workers by unscrupulous employers, appreciation of working people and how they keep the economic and social fabric of society running smoothly) anywhere in the mainstream media compared to some of these other holidays, particularly the patriotic ones.

If Labor Day is mentioned at all, the reference is typically about the end of summer, the start of the school year, gas prices going down, ads for 25 percent off stuff people probably don't need anyway at the big box store (where people are working on Labor Day), and the media reminding people of police checkpoints stopping everyone who is driving to catch the drunks that shouldn't be on the road. This is basically an executive summary of what my local news offered during its coverage so far today. Not a single word on "be sure to thank people who are working hard to keep our economy going and doing it with a smile." Not one.

And aside from a few union heavy areas here and there, you don't really find Labor Day parades or events like that reminding people of why many working people (who are lucky enough) have the day off. Even stupid non-holidays like Groundhogs day and most definitely the hyped Halloween get much more coverage.

The absence of coverage behind the meaning seems disrespectful to working people. Am I alone in feeling this way?

Last edited by Jowel; 09-03-2018 at 10:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 10:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
You are right, around here its an 'end of summer' holiday more than anything.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:30 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Jowel wrote, "Labor Day (i.e. legal protections to avoid the abuse of workers, appreciation of working people and how they keep the economic and social fabric of society running smoothly) compared to some of these other holidays."

All companies should provide a Labor Day bonus to all employees.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:33 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,477,595 times
Because the true history is literally bloody. Who wants to be reminded or learn about that?

Old 09-03-2018, 10:35 AM

5,585 posts, read 6,517,625 times
You are not alone in your feelings. Just remember the political slant the news media takes, and what that means about "working for a living", that will explain the lack of praiseworthy news stories.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the responses so far, everyone! It is reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Because the true history is literally bloody. Who wants to be reminded or learn about that?
Even if that's the case I don't see that as a valid reason to not celebrate the value of Labor Day and the history of why it was established as a holiday.

Wouldn't that be even more of a reason to share the history, so people can learn from that and know that the labor movement had some very intense times to endure? We don't NOT celebrate the other holidays of national historic interest (as mentioned previously) for that reason.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:51 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
The majority of folks don't enjoy working nor want to work. Also, in the USA it's pretty much the employer who has all the benefits. The employee is an at will employee. (can be fired at anytime without cause.) An employee is somewhat forced to provide 2 weeks otherwise he/she will be blacklisted or will have challenges in finding other job.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:12 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
Quote:
The odd thing about that, is if something similar happened today, which involved this much violence and destruction, there is no way it would result in any kind of celebration or having a day set aside to honor them...instead they would probably be labelled domestic terrorists and majority of people would be calling for everyone involved to be jailed!!!

Its really strange to me how society has done so much of a 180 on things like this, I cannot think of any 'fight/ movement' that resorts to violence or destruction, that future generations will honor them for what they have done.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:20 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
Quote:
Ah but don't forget, those "other" holidays were commemorated even bloodier and more violent events;

warfare, veterans of warfare.

Then you have to consider the pro-war political shaker/movers in power that had the clout to propose those holidays. Wartime was supposedly a catalyst for nationalistic fervor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events