Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 10:08 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Has anyone else noticed this?

This certainly isn't the case for patriotic oriented holidays like Memorial Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, etc.

I'm not saying the people or events that those holidays celebrate shouldn't be honored. They most definitely should, with appreciation and respect, so I have no problem with those holidays.

However, minus a few independently-thinking media sources, there is a stark absence of coverage of the meaning behind Labor Day (i.e. legal protections to avoid the abuse of workers by unscrupulous employers, appreciation of working people and how they keep the economic and social fabric of society running smoothly) anywhere in the mainstream media compared to some of these other holidays, particularly the patriotic ones.

If Labor Day is mentioned at all, the reference is typically about the end of summer, the start of the school year, gas prices going down, ads for 25 percent off stuff people probably don't need anyway at the big box store (where people are working on Labor Day), and the media reminding people of police checkpoints stopping everyone who is driving to catch the drunks that shouldn't be on the road. This is basically an executive summary of what my local news offered during its coverage so far today. Not a single word on "be sure to thank people who are working hard to keep our economy going and doing it with a smile." Not one.

And aside from a few union heavy areas here and there, you don't really find Labor Day parades or events like that reminding people of why many working people (who are lucky enough) have the day off. Even stupid non-holidays like Groundhogs day and most definitely the hyped Halloween get much more coverage.

The absence of coverage behind the meaning seems disrespectful to working people. Am I alone in feeling this way?
I could not agree more.

I have neighbors who apparently think it has something to do with "Our Troops".

I'm not joking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 06:37 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
There is definitely a history and unrest in the Haymarket Affair, yes. My main point though is questioning why there isn't the same level of media coverage for Labor Day as there is for other national holidays where there is lots of publicity on not forgetting the meaning of those days. The main issue as far as I'm concerned isn't when the day is celebrated. The main issue is that the meaning and purpose behind Labor Day, in contrast to other national holidays, seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle.
It's very simple. What are those who work in radio and television doing on Labor Day? They're working, because "there won't be any TV or radio broadcasts or newspapers printed today because we deserve a day off" won't fly with the 9 to 5 crowd. The sales and administrative staff have the day off, of course, but the ones who work to bring it home will be on the job.

So given that they know intimately and from first-hand experience what a sham the whole concept is, how can you expect them to take part in perpetuating the fraud that is Labor Day?

Old 09-05-2018, 10:07 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Default lost in history and reverse class struggle

Media are people that don't consider themselves as "labourers" EVEN IF their parents put them through University full ride by working shifts in a car plant somewhere.

In my remote area in Canada most of my cousins were on the benefit receiving end of huge mill paychecks, and retired by the time the mills closed...…...forever. But they had really short memories, and their generation didn't FIGHT THE FIGHT. The previous two generations did the fighting.

View Hoffa's interview on the Dick Cavett show with Melvin Belli. You'll have the basis of going back to 1932, when the real fights got going, and a somewhat different perspective on the behavior of "elites" like Bobby Kennedy, who blatantly targeted the guy. We get lost in the "glamour" of elites and their claiming ownership of rights fought for by many others, some who died and many who we have never heard of. Like any war.

IN the seventies my visits were full of beer drinking, sport watching, highly paid "labourers" pronouncing and pontificating that they "didn't need the Union" and could best use their dues for......more beer and sports memorabilia.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:14 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
I work in the recreation field which means I spent labor day laboring to entertain wealthy capitalists who had the day off. :-)

Old 09-05-2018, 12:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
It's very simple. What are those who work in radio and television doing on Labor Day? They're working, because "there won't be any TV or radio broadcasts or newspapers printed today because we deserve a day off" won't fly with the 9 to 5 crowd. The sales and administrative staff have the day off, of course, but the ones who work to bring it home will be on the job.

So given that they know intimately and from first-hand experience what a sham the whole concept is, how can you expect them to take part in perpetuating the fraud that is Labor Day?
Sorry, it's not that simple at all. Those actually making programming and publishing decisions are just as likely as the sales staff to have the day off. Those who "bring it home" don't really have that much control. In other words, a local weekend-and-holiday news anchor or producer doesn't get to decide not to air a scheduled segment about Labor Day or anything else just because they're working that day.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Sorry, it's not that simple at all. Those actually making programming and publishing decisions are just as likely as the sales staff to have the day off. Those who "bring it home" don't really have that much control. In other words, a local weekend-and-holiday news anchor or producer doesn't get to decide not to air a scheduled segment about Labor Day or anything else just because they're working that day.
And you've worked in that industry? Because I have. Experience tells me that if Joe Schmoe Salaried Producer puts together a nice piece extolling the virtues of Labor Day as a holiday for the working class and leaves it behind to run during the Labor Day newscast, there's a very good chance that he's going to end up cancelling his holiday plans and running the board himself when the grunts all comes down with a mysterious illness.

These days I work for a small retailer and appreciate the extra day off, but having worked in several industries where the proletariat are forced to work Labor Day while the bourgeoisie get to play I'm under no illusion that it's really about the working class.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
And you've worked in that industry? Because I have. Experience tells me that if Joe Schmoe Salaried Producer puts together a nice piece extolling the virtues of Labor Day as a holiday for the working class and leaves it behind to run during the Labor Day newscast, there's a very good chance that he's going to end up cancelling his holiday plans and running the board himself when the grunts all comes down with a mysterious illness.
Yes, I have (though not in broadcast journalism).

Never had that experience, though. Maybe you worked at a station once where "the grunts" all came down with some kind of "protest illness" because they were unhappy about having to work on Labor Day, but I don't think it's the industry norm you're claiming it to be. An anchor or weekend/holiday producer wouldn't last long pulling a sickness stunt just because he/she has a personal bias toward the content.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-05-2018 at 03:27 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have (though not in broadcast journalism).

Never had that experience, though. Maybe you worked at a station once where "the grunts" all came down with some kind of "protest illness: because they were unhappy about having to work on Labor Day, but I don't think it's the industry norm you're claiming it to be.
So, yes-or-no question: Do you think it makes sense to have a holiday devoted to the working class that many working class people can't participate in?

Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
So, yes-or-no question: Do you think it makes sense to have a holiday devoted to the working class that many working class people can't participate in?
Well, that's quite a deflection, and it's obvious that you're spoiling for a debate and that you've got a hard-on for Labor Day.

I think it makes no sense to pursue a career in news and then cry because you're not working bankers' hours.

So here's a question back at you. Do you feel as if every holiday has to revolve around you?

I'm not a Christian, but I don't begrudge anyone Christmas, and I actually enjoy the holiday. I don't celebrate Labor Day (although I believe it has every right to exist), but my employees are free to take the day off. See how that works?

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-05-2018 at 03:18 PM..

Old 09-05-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Well, that's quite a deflection, and it's obvious that you're spoiling for a debate.

So here's a question back at you. Do you feel as if every holiday has to revolve around you?

I'm not a Christian, but I don't begrudge anyone Christmas, and I actually enjoy the holiday. I don't celebrate Labor Day, but my employees are free to take the day off. See how that works?
You're the one deflecting.

I don't think every holiday revolves around me. And I've never said anything to suggest that. But the people who thump their chests and proclaim Labor Day as a holiday for the working class while failing to realize that a huge percentage of the working class is working on Labor Day clearly thinks it revolves around them.

Christmas has nothing to do with this.

My point is, if we're supposed to believe that Labor Day in 2018 has anything at all to do with celebrating the working class, why do virtually all executives take the day off while the proletariat in many industries have to work? If it were a legitimate holiday, why aren't the executives holding down the fort while the peons take the day off? It doesn't happen, won't happen, nobody expects it to happen, and nobody is really worried about it. And because the Powers that Be want it to stay that way, the origins of the holiday will stay in the background for the foreseeable future.

Bottom like, it's a scab nobody wants to pick. The question posed was "Why is media coverage so lacking?" The answer is, the media is one of the industries with the most to lose if they pick it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events