Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 09:35 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times

Advertisements

I think ES had a right to be surprised given the fact that parole was denied just two months ago and the next hearing wasn't scheduled until 2023. Not gonna "debate" what she should or shouldn't have felt; just trying to offer an explanation of why the release came as a surprise to her.

She's probably eligible for the SSI crazy train, idk, so maybe she'll have some sort of income. Her family doesn't believe she can survive without some kind of help. Part of the condition of her release is that she receive psychiatric treatment, but she's refusing it in prison, so it's doubtful she'll fulfill that condition once she
she's out.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...g-release.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 09:48 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,366,258 times
I'm not someone who supports draconian sentence, and I think our penal system is usually overly punitive and counterproductive. BUT this crime was pretty beyond the pale, even if she wasn't the main perpetrator. The fact that she has not submitted to any sort of evaluation is almost incomprehensible to me. And it entirely defies the victim narrative she was putting forth. 72 is not so old that she can no longer do damage.

Elizabeth Smart is going to feel unsafe until this woman's death. That is very troubling to me. She went through enough. Wanda Barzee abetted in her torture. She should not be allowed out of prison on her own terms.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:48 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,096,551 times
If she was noncompliant in prison, I'd be willing to bet she will be noncompliant with the conditions of her parole.

Hopefully, she won't "poof" into thin air or hurt somebody else before they revoke her but I think it will be fast. She's just not rehabilitation material

Old 09-12-2018, 11:00 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,583,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyknoxy View Post
at her age how will she support herself? probably will be homeless. might as well stay in prison for life.
Shes eligible to start receiving SS as soon as she is released. Its not much, but it will likely pay for a cheap apt.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 PM

6,792 posts, read 2,900,926 times
Are there any of you here who know how the law works? Thank God it doesn't rely on the opinions of the average person in the street ...or those who participate on public forums. It's not too often that I've known a sentence that was handed down to someone that was seen by those of the general public to be 'adequate'. It's almost always a case of a disgusted retort, "That sentence is far too light."

I just thought to remind you (a general you) of this.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,695 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Shes eligible to start receiving SS as soon as she is released. Its not much, but it will likely pay for a cheap apt.
She will probably team up with some homeless and re-offend (daily). Maybe worse.

She will be a 'hero' in her chosen society, and that is sad.

I am very pleased that ES can still smile (check out her pics).

That is some strength / overcoming bitterness.

Maybe she could arrange a chat with Aly Raisman.

Both are tragedies of our society.

Old 09-12-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
Are there any of you here who know how the law works? Thank God it doesn't rely on the opinions of the average person in the street ...or those who participate on public forums. It's not too often that I've known a sentence that was handed down to someone that was seen by those of the general public to be 'adequate'. It's almost always a case of a disgusted retort, "That sentence is far too light."

I just thought to remind you (a general you) of this.
I think there are probably a few here who have at least a rudimentary understand of "how the law works." Others, not so much.

Nonetheless, just because someone personally doesn't feel this woman is a safe bet for parole doesn't mean they lack understanding of the fact that Utah really has no choice here. Yes, I think that she *should* be locked up for the rest of her miserable life, but I'm not lambasting the legal system for not doing so. It really is possible to have the opinion that a specific person isn't fit to be released while understanding "how the law works" at the same time.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-12-2018 at 11:58 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
She will probably team up with some homeless and re-offend (daily). Maybe worse.
I think this is a very likely scenario.

I also agree with the poster who said she likely won't be out long because she'll fail to adhere to the conditions of her release, but I also think it's likely that she'll sort of disappear into the homeless community, lose contact with her PO, and otherwise elude the system for awhile.

I don't know whether she worked enough to get traditional SS, but she can probably get SSI. Whether she can hold it together well enough to rent an apartment, manage money, grocery shop, and whatever else is another thing entirely.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-13-2018 at 12:55 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 01:41 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,549,117 times
Tbe plea deal legally allows for release. Outside of transitional housing she'll break conditions of parole. 1-2 yrs tops she'll be back in the prison system.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
According to this article, which is two years old, her sentence expires in 2024, but she is up for parole in 2018.

She should be in prison until they are sure that she will not harm anyone when she gets out. If it takes the rest of her life, so be it, regardless of how long the court sentenced her for.

https://fox13now.com/2016/04/07/eliz...-in-utah-jail/
If you apply that reasoning the majority of people in prison would never get out. Her mental state and potential for harm should have been a consideration in sentencing. We cant have judicial system where the rulings based on a fair trial by a jury of peers and judges decisions are just ignored because of random peoples opinion of her state of mind.

I was a bit confused on her sentencing and time served. Something about federal and state charges and time served. Honestly I think she needs psych evaluation and then placed in a mental facility instead of put out on the street. Perhaps Smart can convince the judge to keep her locked up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events