Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:35 PM

9,447 posts, read 5,208,974 times

Advertisements

I remember one presentation I had to give in college, but I don't even remember what it was about. Maybe it was in Abnormal Psychology. I was SO nervous and my mouth my SO dry I thought I was going to pass out. I think the professor thought that, too, because he asked if there was anything he do so I asked him to open the window so I could have some air. I 'stabilized' (LOL) and went on to make my presentation. In fact, I took up almost the entire hour. I really haven't stopped talking since them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 01:14 PM

8,858 posts, read 6,856,075 times
The ability to speak in front of groups (even if nervous) is one of the main dividing lines between service workers and everyone else.

Want to make six figures someday? Learn to put your fear aside.

For me, a mandatory high school class in public speaking helped me control my nervousness and have a career.

Old 09-23-2018, 05:51 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I taught in high school
Speech or Communications is a require subject for graduation in Texas public/charter schools
It is also an elective in many junior highs

There is no reason for "no preparation" excuse
They have to deal with speaking to people when they enter the work force
Many kids in high school have jobs or do volunteer activities to pad their college application

I spent an entire school term "preparing" students for public speaking and learning how to compose a speech, articulate and make eye contact, and also to analyze mass media (like ads online and in print media, editorials/news articles, and other aspects for elements of propaganda)...
Most people would be better off with this background

Remember in Texas if you don't pass senior English, you don't graduate
So this is a very important part of the senior curriculum...

As a teacher who TAUGHT public speaking and required oral reports from students in ALL levels of English I k these kids are bull****ters
There are plenty of videos on UTube and TedTalks I am sure if they were not getting the instruction from their teachers--
If teachers are asking/requiring students to do oral reports--make speeches--then YES the teachers need to give some guidelines for how to do that--

But there is no reason for anxiety to prevent any student from giving speeches...

The complaint was that it would impair their GRADE--not their health...
It's been a while since I went to high school (graduated 1988) but in the Upstate NY district I went to, public speaking class was also required in the junior & senior years. It also was taught in jr. high school. I recall the first time I had to present in first grade; I was a very shy kid and was crying. The teacher told me what didn't kill me would make me stronger and she was right My job requires me to speak in front of large audiences frequently to train them so I'm very glad that first grade teacher pushed me to get up there anyway and speak.

Communication skills definitely are one of the most important skillsets no matter what field students are planning to get into whether they end up as CEO or simply are going to work on the factory floor. They still need to be able to communicate clearly and be comfortable speaking.

I think that it's pretty much universal for students to be apprehensive prior to their first classroom presentation. If a student has a true anxiety disorder, s/he should be receiving treatment for it and request and ADA accommodation. Big difference between actual anxiety disorder and simply feeling anxious though.

What is next? Protesting math because it causes anxiety? Trying to get English taken off the curriculum because it causes depression?

Geez...

Old 09-23-2018, 09:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
People keep posting as if presentations have been stopped. I don't blame these kids for trying, many of us would have and most of them probably mean well. They are kids and can't yet know what the implications would be. That's why they aren't in charge. I would blame adults if they were to allow these kids to get their way but as far as I know, schools have not bowed to student pressure on this. If the adults were to do anything, making sure all students have access to mental health care would be the most beneficial.

Old 09-24-2018, 01:38 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Has anyone mentioned that underlying skills for these requirements could, and probably should, be taught at home. Parents having dialogue and discussions with their children, about anything and everything? THIS is practice for the real world; THIS is practice for presenting differing ideas in a civil way; THIS is practice for real life. The kids I see today are vastly different from my earlier days. They are not engaged, they don't look you in the eye, they can't carry on an intelligent, civil conversation (mostly spouting 'talking points' and you know what I mean, SJW nonsense without even knowing any underlying arguments), and half of them can't make change at a cash register. If these are the people who are going to 'run the country.' we are in deep kimchee.
You can always join Toastmasters to practice public speaking in a group that is there to help not sabotage your effort.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toastm..._International

Old 09-24-2018, 02:09 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.theatlantic.com/educatio...-class/570061/

These kids need to suck it up. I had to give countless in class presentations during high school and college.

I had a pronounced stutter.

What did I do? I signed up for a public speaking class in ninth grade. It was absolutely excruciating for me (Let alone my classmates), but I eventually gained a lot more confidence.

It absolutely changed my life. To this day, 42 years later, I have to speak and present all the time. And I give up silent thanks to my speech teacher. For without her, I wouldn't have been able to earn a decent living.

I say this all the time: Your ability to earn a living is directly tied to your ability to conduct yourself with confidence in a presentation, in a meeting, or whatever. It is an essential life skill, not something that that should be optional.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
People keep posting as if presentations have been stopped. I don't blame these kids for trying, many of us would have and most of them probably mean well. They are kids and can't yet know what the implications would be. That's why they aren't in charge. I would blame adults if they were to allow these kids to get their way but as far as I know, schools have not bowed to student pressure on this. If the adults were to do anything, making sure all students have access to mental health care would be the most beneficial.
There was a point made upthread that actually makes sense: Presenting is good practice for the kid doing the presentation. Fair enough. But is it a good use of time for the other kids who have to act as a dummy audience? A class of 25, each student is giving a 10-minute presentation. Those 10 minutes come at the cost of 240 minutes (4 hours) of classroom time spent listening. No wonder that makes for a disinterested and often hostile audience.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There was a point made upthread that actually makes sense: Presenting is good practice for the kid doing the presentation. Fair enough. But is it a good use of time for the other kids who have to act as a dummy audience? A class of 25, each student is giving a 10-minute presentation. Those 10 minutes come at the cost of 240 minutes (4 hours) of classroom time spent listening. No wonder that makes for a disinterested and often hostile audience.
I agree they can be a drain on class time but a high school student is never going to be making a 10 minute presentation. Tell students they must summarize their presentation in 3 minutes and you still get all the benefits without much wasted class time.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:17 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,197,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In my high school, we had a separate and required class dedicated to learning to public speaking. I can't recall any other instances where I gave public presentations until college and again that was actually an important part of what the class was about. IMO, this is a better approach than just random presentations in other classes. We actually learned tools and skills related to public speaking and there were strict and understood rules about how to behave as an "audience" member. Disrespect was not tolerated, encouragement and active listening skills were also a part of the grade. Basically, we were expected to act like adults.

The teacher created a comfortable place to learn and practice this skill that is difficult for so many people. There was a real sense of camaraderie among the class, as though we were all "surviving" it together. I remember a couple of meltdowns, especially early on, but we all supported those people and by the end, every student was able to give at least a clean, understandable presentation. I still become racked with nerves giving presentations, but I know how to create a good one and I'm a decent public speaker. I also don't have any "trauma" associated with it despite being painfully shy in high school, so having taken that course has definitely been a positive for my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events