Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 PM

17,601 posts, read 13,383,640 times

Advertisements

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ld_war_ii.html

Rest in peace General, you've seen enough and had too many nightmares
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 09:02 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,911,348 times
So many of those who saw/experienced Concentration camps first hand are dying or dead
It is too bad
Because some people only believe what they themselves see first hand
It will be so much easier for the Deniers to attempt to change historical truth when eyewitnesses are gone...

Thanks for posting that...

Old 09-17-2018, 10:20 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,190,739 times
Oregon, Nazi Death Camps and KISS all in one nice, neat little article.

Mind, Blown.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
So many of those who saw/experienced Concentration camps first hand are dying or dead
It is too bad
It will be so much easier for the Deniers to attempt to change historical truth when eyewitnesses are gone...

This is why General Eisenhower made sure to document and to bring German citizens and politicians into the camps. He said that some day no one would believe what happened.

Old 09-19-2018, 12:59 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,911,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
This is why General Eisenhower made sure to document and to bring German citizens and politicians into the camps. He said that some day no one would believe what happened.
It was standard Army policy by Eisenhower's decree
And I think the British did the same thing
Don't know about other Allied forces...
I would have totally supported the Brad Pitt method for making Nazis easily recognized after WWII

Old 09-19-2018, 01:09 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,309,818 times
General Thayer is a descendant of Sylvanus Thayer, who is known as the "Father of West Point".

RIP, sir.

My younger son came home with a different viewpoint of WWII after visiting a former concentration camp in Poland. There is at least one person in his generation who is not Jewish who will not forget the Holocaust.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:23 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,127,470 times
We were a bunch of young, idiot soldiers in W. Germany and our plt took a trip to Dachau. It was a sobering, horrifying trip to the past; one that shut up even the most juvenile, moronic person on the trip.

A couple of years ago I was next to a lady in the waiting room of the VA in Birmingham. She was waiting for her husband and we started talking. It turns out she was a Ravensbruck survivor. This lovely, well spoken woman with her heavily accented English had survived the unthinkable. She married her American soldier that she had met in the aftermath of the war.

People should have the chance to see the places of such inhumane behaviors and to meet someone who survived and managed to thrive after being treated as less than an animal.

We cannot forget. We cannot allow ourselves to normalize the type of behavior that is once again starting to rear it's ugly head in society.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:47 PM

23,876 posts, read 33,595,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatopescado View Post
Oregon, Nazi Death Camps and KISS all in one nice, neat little article.

Mind, Blown.
When I saw the title I thought of Kiss; didn't know his dad's history.

Rest in peace sir

Old 09-19-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
I would have totally supported the Brad Pitt method for making Nazis easily recognized after WWII
The Brad Pitt method was used by the OSS (the precursor of the CIA) I personally knew one of the members of what Brad Pitt called The Inglorious Bastards

They would drive into the town squares in Nazi attire, scream Heil Hitler and kill anyone who saluted back

I saw his documentation and photos before they were shipped to Yad Vashem (or, the Wiesenthal Center, it was years ago and I forget which)

Old 09-20-2018, 01:03 PM

19,238 posts, read 17,110,766 times
Quote:
It is too bad

70+ years and enough pictures, films and testimonials are available a few live reports is not going to make any difference to the deniers....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events