Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,406,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Well, we don't know what he said when he called the cops.

From his perspective, that was his phone. He was paying for it, for sure.
He gave it to her as a gift, so he transferred ownership of the phone to his daughter.

Many people do seem to believe a gift they give is still "theirs" for some reason and they can demand it back at any time. It's a strange belief.

I'm friends with a woman whose husband tried to get back jewelry he gave her as gifts during their marriage. He claimed they were bought as investments. However, she had kept the birthday, anniversary cards he gave to her stating these were gifts and the court upheld this and he didn't get to keep the jewelry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2018, 06:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

35,676 posts, read 18,045,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
He gave it to her as a gift, so he transferred ownership of the phone to his daughter.

Many people do seem to believe a gift they give is still "theirs" for some reason and they can demand it back at any time. It's a strange belief.

I'm friends with a woman whose husband tried to get back jewelry he gave her as gifts during their marriage. He claimed they were bought as investments. However, she had kept the birthday, anniversary cards he gave to her stating these were gifts and the court upheld this and he didn't get to keep the jewelry.
I would also invite you to google this.

If you give your child a gift, it's still legally your property because children can't own property.

Even if your child takes a side job at McDonalds, you can take all his money.

Doesn't seem right, but lots of laws don't seem right.

That's all I'm saying.

Last edited by ClaraC; 09-23-2018 at 06:21 PM..

Old 09-23-2018, 06:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 20 days ago)

So here's another thought. This incident happened in May. The mother apparently still has possession of the phone in September and has not given it back to the daughter.

Is the dad within his rights to demand it back? This isn't like a weekend deal, it's been months and who knows when his gift will be returned to his daughter.

What if this were reversed? What if the mom gets a little used car for her this Christmas and one weekend at Dad's she's late for curfew and so he garages the car for months and won't give it back to her. Then what? Can the mother say give me back that car I'm paying for.

I don't think this is worth the court's time and a criminal trial, but I do think she needs to give him back his phone after all these months since she seems to have no intention to return it to the daughter. At first this read like for a punishment, she took the phone for a little while. It seems now, as punishment, you no longer have this phone dad gave you.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:29 PM

16,076 posts, read 28,591,602 times
Of course this isn't the sequence unless you're dealing with Barney Fife.

Charges are based on report, either written by police or person making the complaint. Any attorney worth hiring asks her background questions. Where'd she find him? She sounds totally green to the process and typically how most are until thrust into the legal system. Basically, anyone of us can have someone charged falsely. There's a huge difference between taking a phone for parenting and larceny conversion. Insinuation, if not outright statements made that this mom took her childs phone for her own use for a larceny conversion charge.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:34 PM

Quote:
So here's another thought. This incident happened in May. The mother apparently still has possession of the phone in September and has not given it back to the daughter.

Is the dad within his rights to demand it back? This isn't like a weekend deal, it's been months and who knows when his gift will be returned to his daughter.

No where does it say the phone taken in May, still unreturned in September.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
No where does it say the phone taken in May, still unreturned in September.
The original arrest was in May, I believe May 11 or 12, and certainly in court it would have come out that he has his phone back.

Instead, what came out is she took it from her daughter as punishment.

Do you think she wouldn't have said and I gave it back to her first of June?

BTW, she has possession of the phone - it was there at the interview. I'm all over the map on my opinion of this case, but it does seem to me now that she took it because it was a gift from dad and she's not giving it back.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:39 PM

Quote:
The original arrest was in May, I believe May 11 or 12, and certainly in court it would have come out that he has his phone back.

Instead, what came out is she took it from her daughter as punishment.

Do you think she wouldn't have said and I gave it back to her first of June?

BTW, she has possession of the phone - it was there at the interview. I'm all over the map on my opinion of this case, but it does seem to me that she took it because it was a gift from dad and she's not giving it back.
The case dismissed. Did they even get that far? I'd think if the court found she still had the phone 4 months later, they may have a leg to stand on.

You'll have to post your source. Some of us might like to read it.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
The case dismissed. Did they even get that far? I'd think if the court found she still had the phone 4 months later, they may a leg to stand on.
And I agree the criminal case should be dismissed - a $200 phone isn't worth the criminal court's time.

But it does seem to me it's very possible she's permanently taken this phone away as punishment and thinks she has a right to it.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:56 PM

Quote:
The case dismissed. Did they even get that far? I'd think if the court found she still had the phone 4 months later, they may have a leg to stand on.

You'll have to post your source. Some of us might like to read it.
The sources are all posted in this thread.

She was arrested the day before Mother's Day, in May, and she went to trial last week and it was during the beginning of her trial the DA decided, since this was a punishment of the daughter, this wasn't worth the court's time and dismissed the case (as she should have, IMHO, based on the value of the item). Still, it seems if she never intends to give it back to her daughter, she should return the phone to her ex.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
The sources are all posted in this thread.

She was arrested the day before Mother's Day, in May, and she went to trial last week and it was during the beginning of her trial the DA decided, since this was a punishment of the daughter, this wasn't worth the court's time and dismissed the case (as she should have, IMHO, based on the value of the item).
Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events