Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2018, 07:08 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Agreed
Doubtful. I'm not allowed to clean up bio hazard waste at work. ?
Flight attendants are trained in this and they know how to do it. They are most certainly allowed to clean up biohazardous waste. In fact one of them did wind up attemping to clean it up, but used the wrong procedure to do it. Have you ever seen janitors on airplanes? The flight attendants do all this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 07:14 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Flight attendants are trained in this and they know how to do it. They are most certainly allowed to clean up biohazardous waste. In fact one of them did wind up attemping to clean it up, but used the wrong procedure to do it. Have you ever seen janitors on airplanes? The flight attendants do all this.
No, flight attendants do not clean planes between flights. A maintenance crew enters the plane from the door near the tail and does a sweep immediately after the passengers exit the plane and before the next set of passengers enters. Flight attendants must resolve problems that happen in flight but not when the plane is at the gate. And, yes, I have seen janitors on airplanes. Many times, in fact.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-07-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
No, flight attendants do not clean planes between flights. A maintenance crew enters the plane from the door near the tail and does a sweep immediately after the passengers exit the plane and before the next set of passengers enters. Flight attendants must resolve problems that happen in flight but not when the plane is at the gate. And, yes, I have seen janitors on airplanes. Many times, in fact.
I've never seen a janitor on an airplane and I've flown many times. Flight attendants are responsible for keeping the plane clean. Passengers aren't supposed to clean up biohazardous wastes and it's certainly not the job of the pilots, either. If a flight is in air and there's a waste problem that arises, yes, the flight attendants have to clean it up. Even if they don't want to.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:52 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,868 times
Reason #493 Why I Drive

Old 11-07-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I've never seen a janitor on an airplane and I've flown many times. Flight attendants are responsible for keeping the plane clean. Passengers aren't supposed to clean up biohazardous wastes and it's certainly not the job of the pilots, either. If a flight is in air and there's a waste problem that arises, yes, the flight attendants have to clean it up. Even if they don't want to.
How on earth are you missing the cleaning crew? They come right through the door near the tail as the passengers exit and clean the plane. Maybe I see them because I often sit in the tail section. If you don't believe me, here's a link to a job listing for a Delta Airlines Cabin Service Agent.

Cabin Service Agent

As an aside, the pay rate offered is disgracefully low. Maybe that's why the poop wasn't cleaned up!

Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 PM

Quote:
How on earth are you missing the cleaning crew? They come right through the door near the tail as the passengers exit and clean the plane. Maybe I see them because I often sit in the tail section. If you don't believe me, here's a link to a job listing for a Delta Airlines Cabin Service Agent.

Cabin Service Agent

As an aside, the pay rate offered is disgracefully low. Maybe that's why the poop wasn't cleaned up!
It is still the flight attendant's responsibility to A) ensure that a biohazard is cleaned up and B) clean it themselves if no cleaning crew is available.d

It is NOT the passenger's responsibility.

Old 11-07-2018, 08:52 PM

"Meehan knows for a fact that Delta planes are required to have a biohazard kit onboard for situations like this. “The Delta representative that spoke with me after the fact told me their protocol is to have a biohazard kit onboard,” he says. “The fact that they either didn’t take it down and offer me something from it to clean myself properly or it was absent completely from the plane broke protocol either way,” Meehan says. “They said they didn’t have one.”

The Delta representative also told Meehan that “Delta broke protocol in continuing the boarding process once the biohazard was identified and reported” by him. “Once a passenger brings a contagion or biohazard to staff’s attention, you’re supposed to stop boarding entirely,” Meehan says he was told. “And you’re supposed to deboard if possible so that the contagion or biohazard can be properly cleaned without spreading or contaminating others. But they just kept boarding the plane.”

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/can-...224107240.html

Old 11-07-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Tough. That's not the passenger's problem.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Tough. That's not the passenger's problem.
Of course not, and I never said otherwise. The plane should have been evacuated immediately so the seat cushions could be replaced and the area decontaminated. I'm honestly appalled that the flight crew did not do so. I just don't think this is simply an issue of a lazy flight attendant. I think the problem is more likely that the flight crew did not feel like they had the option of delaying the flight to deal with the mess, and that's a systemic problem the airline needs to address.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:02 PM

If they don't like what they are paid, they are free to find other jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events