Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 10:05 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,188,788 times

Advertisements

I bet that was one hell of a fun wedding reception!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 10:18 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
It may have to do with the attractive nuisance laws which means the owner is strictly liable even if he keeps gates locked and such. We have a pool in our backyard. Even with a high fence, we are strictly liable if someone climbs over the fence and drowns in our pool. The fact they trespassed doesn't matter.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:47 AM

838 posts, read 555,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
It may have to do with the attractive nuisance laws which means the owner is strictly liable even if he keeps gates locked and such. We have a pool in our backyard. Even with a high fence, we are strictly liable if someone climbs over the fence and drowns in our pool. The fact they trespassed doesn't matter.
I have a really good looking neighbor. I might be tempted to break through his bedroom window tonight and if I cut myself on the glass, I'm goin' to Vegas baby, yeah!

It's his fault for being attractive. Had he put bars on his windows this wouldn't have happened.

Old 11-20-2018, 10:52 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Are you sure whomever told you that got it right? Because it didn't sound quite right to me so I googled a bit.

Because attractive nuisance laws apply to children as defined as being too young to recognize the danger. (certainly wouldn't apply to these two)

Also in most cases having a tall locked fence is sufficient defense for the homeowner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attrac...sance_doctrine

Old 11-20-2018, 10:54 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Thats a great point. pools around here require a lockable fence surrounding the pool, but if someone trespasses and somehow is injured, drowns, etc. the owner is STILL liable legally.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:06 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Thats a great point. pools around here require a lockable fence surrounding the pool, but if someone trespasses and somehow is injured, drowns, etc. the owner is STILL liable legally.
Do you all have any laws, court rulings, etc, that you can refer to for this? Because outside something extreme, a locked fence will protect the liability of a homeowner from a trespasser regarding a pool. The attracted nuisance thing usually only applies to children also.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:08 AM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Do you have any examples of this? What state?

I just find this really interesting and I'm aware that some states just have laws that almost none of the other states have.

Old 11-20-2018, 11:37 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
We need more details so I started googling. I want to see pictures of the women and I want to know what they do for a living. Are these two people who make critical decisions that affect other people on a daily basis? Haven't found that info yet. Apparently, the lawsuit has been dropped... at least for now, but could be refiled.

https://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/ne...221911090.html

Old 11-20-2018, 12:04 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,937 times
Myrtle Beach people doin what MB people do!

Old 11-20-2018, 12:09 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
https://www.wspa.com/news/ny-women-s...XH3cwptiUqjUK4

The 'hot coffee' thing gets brought up quite a bit.. Which.. Honestly, there's more to it than most people realize.. But this..

Perhaps the women should get sued for illegal trespass causing injury and the courts could order them to pay the exact amount of the cost of their injuries back to the property owner.
I heard the whole McDonald's story, and still wasn't convinced the lady should have received compensation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events