Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 01:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

In NYC, at least.

Contrary to their much-publicized open-door policy, which took effect in May, even Starbucks patrons are finding the bathrooms closed.

That's was pretty much the expectation--that allowing anyone to come in to just use their restrooms, would eventually lead to closing them to everyone. That appears to be what's happening in NYC, with either closed signs posted, or bathrooms closed for "extended cleaning." In addition, one-third of the Starbucks restrooms in Manhattan still have "Employees Only" signs posted, 7 months after the new policy took effect.

https://www.nypost.com/2018/12/08/st...ree-stall/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 01:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
It was not a new policy. Starbuck's has always let anyone use their restroom.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:46 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
I can't say I blame them.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:52 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Around here, if a place has tables for customers to sit down at, they are considered food service/ restaurant, and they must have working public bathrooms, or the health dept can come and padlock the doors.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:13 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,446,414 times
I can imagine what goes on in those bathrooms. Seattles Starbucks are catching on, the junkies shooting up in them is just a burden on the employees. Then you have the people who use them for a shower. Not to mention those who abuse it in other ways such as vandalism.

What's the point? Paying customers only and some of those I wouldn't let use it.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:07 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I can imagine what goes on in those bathrooms. Seattles Starbucks are catching on, the junkies shooting up in them is just a burden on the employees. Then you have the people who use them for a shower. Not to mention those who abuse it in other ways such as vandalism.
it.
This has always gone on. Restaurants, cafes, coffee shops have always had people come in to use the public restroom. In Europe some restaurants give you a code for the bathroom which can only get once your receipt prints out. So you have to buy something to get the code. But paying customers are just as likely to abuse bathroom privileges as non-paying customers.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:33 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
This has always gone on. Restaurants, cafes, coffee shops have always had people come in to use the public restroom. In Europe some restaurants give you a code for the bathroom which can only get once your receipt prints out. So you have to buy something to get the code. But paying customers are just as likely to abuse bathroom privileges as non-paying customers.
I've seen something similar at touristy places in Colorado and New Mexico. Some have rather large signs stating 'Restrooms for paying customers only.' There is at least one place that requires you to get a code when you order at the restaurant.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:54 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
I've seen something similar at touristy places in Colorado and New Mexico. Some have rather large signs stating 'Restrooms for paying customers only.' There is at least one place that requires you to get a code when you order at the restaurant.
Many gas stations have bathroom keys that force people to ask the clerk for the key. I always wondered how many times the stations loose keys because somebody does not return it?

Old 12-10-2018, 05:58 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,746,094 times
Years ago, I went into a public library in a very depressed major metropolitan area. I stepped into the ladies' room, and there was an older homeless woman in the spacious handicapped stall with the door wide open. She was bent over the toilet, washing out some small items of clothing, using the toilet bowl as a sink.

I try not to be shocked, but it got to me. I exited the ladies' room pretty fast.

I can understand why companies forbid entrance to the restrooms (except for paying guests).

Old 12-10-2018, 06:35 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Many gas stations have bathroom keys that force people to ask the clerk for the key. I always wondered how many times the stations loose keys because somebody does not return it?
Which is why the key is usually attached to a large item too big to fit in a pocket. You should know this, Mr. fish, being an ex-long hauler.

At my ophthalmologist office, the facility is on the same floor as but separate from the office. The key is attached to a pair of glasses. Now, that, I think could pose a problem with people having to be reminded to bring back the key.

As for using the rest room in a place that serves food, once, when having appeared in a performance with several other actors, we were on the road home and the lead car pulled into a Mickey D's parking lot. We all followed, not knowing if there was a problem with his car. He told us his car was fine but he needed to use the rest room. There followed a big discussion about using the rest room without making a purchase. His rebuttal was that he had often been in a Mickey D's, made a purchase and DIDN'T use the rest room so this was a "make-up visit".

I have to admit, he had a point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events