Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 07:02 AM

774 posts, read 744,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
This is not something new; wives of wealthy men yes at divorce can be hard riding b**tches seeking to extract maximum financial pain upon the husband. OTOH more practical women (especially if there are children/heirs involved) realize the family fortune is at stake and temper their demands with this in mind.

Wow.

Except for the wives (as the one in this case) who were there with their husbands as they achieved that wealth expect to get what they helped earn and up until this point in time it was considered "theirs". Like this one who gave up a promising career, moved cross country to start a new and at the time incredibly risky business, worked side by side in the garage and then took charge or house and family? Of course she's going to be smart while going thru the divorce. Half of what is at stake is rightfully hers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,733,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Why? Amazon will continue to exist even if the wife gets 1/2 the stock in the company.

You take your chances in life when you get married. If I had asked my wife to sign a prenuptial agreement, she would have taken a hike.

Everything in life isn't about a financial transaction.
That's right. Not to mention they were married BEFORE Amazon even existed.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:26 AM

2,669 posts, read 2,090,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
So far have heard not a word about any pre-nuptial agreement.

It would be different if Mr. Bezos wealth was largely in cash, real estate, and other more tangible assets. To see how things rolled on a smaller scale, there is the recent (and very nasty) divorce of Harry Macklowe: https://therealdeal.com/2018/12/14/d...ill-be-halved/
Anyone know what happened in Sergey Brin's divorce? Did his wife get half of his Google stock holdings?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
For those of us who love to shop at Amazon, let's hope Jeff had a strong prenuptial agreement in place before he married. In business school, in a class lecture, one of my professors told us to make sure we get good prenuptial agreements before we marry because a divorce could wipe out our assets and companies. The two professors who were in attendance at that lecture concurred and further elaborated with their own experiences. What struck me was how serious they all were in this discussion.
No Prenup, because she has been with Jeff way before Amazon.
She has been with him from the very beginning and deserve her share IMO.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:49 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,385,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
For those of us who love to shop at Amazon, let's hope Jeff had a strong prenuptial agreement in place before he married.
I think 25 years of marriage a fair share would be half.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:26 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
No Prenup, because she has been with Jeff way before Amazon.
She has been with him from the very beginning and deserve her share IMO.
For all we know she could have been vital in the creation and building of Amazon.

Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
My wife and I got married before we had anything. Though we are financially well off now, and all of it is though my work, there is no doubt she assisted with many things and support the entire way, and is equal in my eyes in regards to ownership of our wealth.

Even the little things, like the part-time work while I was fiddling around trying to make things happen, all contributed, as there would be no way I could have had the freedom I had to take the risks if she had not been working.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:49 AM

239 posts, read 155,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I think 25 years of marriage a fair share would be half.
I predict he will step down as Amazon CEO within 2 years.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:07 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Jeff met his wife a year before he found Amazon out of his garage in Seattle.

Might be an expensive settlement..

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...rs/2523544002/
It gives a relief to ordinary men - that women can even find guys like Bezos or Musk imperfect in marriage.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:14 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
In one of the pop ups yesterday it showed Jeff B and his current young GF....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events