Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times

Advertisements

I'm REALLY struggling to believe this.

This girl was over at a neighbors house, the dog in the house (apparently unprovoked) attacked her and she needed medical treatment.

The sheriff says nothing can be done since the dog was on his own property, not a public area.

REALLY??

So more and more kids could be invited over, get bitten and need medical attention and life goes on as normal?

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...0-4004efb1f86f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 01:12 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,468,632 times
It only says that the dog can't be removed from the home.
It says nothing about not being able to sue for medical bills and pain and suffering.

I think they are idiots for not getting rid of that dog now.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

Well, there's nothing in the story about removing the dog from the home; rather, designating it a "dangerous animal", and then other things come in to play - the dog can't bite again, can't run loose in public, etc.

When a family's pet is inside its own home and a child is inside the home of where that pet lives and is bit, then the code says you cannot deem the creature a dangerous animal," Commander Deaton said.

Contrasting this with Austin, nearby, a dog in a home who bites someone gets one warning before legal action is taken. I have a friend who was keeping her daughter's freaky little dog, when a plumber came to the house and was bitten in the leg. The plumber reported it (although he didn't need stitches, the dog was then just subject to quarantine) and Animal Control came out, met with the family, and said the dog was now deemed "dangerous".

Old 01-20-2019, 01:31 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,187,027 times
My dumb neighbor has a known biter. Bitten at least three people, including me. He has two young grandchildren, too. Recipe for disaster.

It gets loose from time to time and wanders around. I keep telling him that's a law suit waiting to happen. He won't get rid of it.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:45 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
If local law/regulation doesn't happen to be written so it provides a mechanism for removing the dog the police can't do anything more than they have. Authorities have to uphold existing law, they can't mold it to suit every single situation. To change law someone would have to petition through the courts. If there's enough outrage, it happens.

The article doesn't say whether there has to be more than one bite before the dog must be removed/kenneled/chained or not. It's common to have a progressive scale such as 1st bite, second bite, third, etc. The article doesn't say anything about what was going on at that moment to provoke the dog, just a vague sentence. Doesn't say who witnessed the whole thing. I am not saying it's acceptable for a dog to bite someone, just that there could have been extenuating circumstances. Get "in the face" of a dog that doesn't know you you can be bitten. The dog could have given a lot of warning but no one, especially a kid that young was not reading it. It comes down to hearsay...the dog was not provoked, the dog was provoked. Its obvious who is going to say which.

IMO the girl's parents might have more recourse going after the dog owners' homeowner's insurance. Not only for compensation but because the homeowner could get a huge premium hike or lose their coverage entirely UNLESS they remove the dog. Kind of hits them right where it hurts.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:00 PM

Here is the Williamson County animal ordinance.

Specifically, page 10 deals with dogs/cats that bite.

There is nothing whatsoever in there about a dog/cat can bite people in their own home and nothing will be done.

My guess is, this problem will fix itself by someone disabusing the sheriff of his notions.

https://www.adoptwcac.org/DocumentCe...ns-PDF-?bidId=

At the bottom of page 7, there is a section about how to lawfully keep a vicious pet - and one of the requirements is they have to be restrained from contact with other persons or animals. In other words, when the neighbor girl comes over, the dog is in the kennel.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:22 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
No one in these stories ever does anything to provoke or antagonize the dog. It's miraculous.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
No one in these stories ever does anything to provoke or antagonize the dog. It's miraculous.
There were witnesses - the dad states he saw it, while he was talking to the neighbor (dog owner) so the dog owner saw it also, as well as the sister. I guess.

I would think if she were obviously provoking/abusing the dog, the owner and dad would have stopped her.

Old 01-20-2019, 03:32 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,704,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
The girl in question is a seven-year old. Seven-year old's act like... well, like seven-year olds, because they're... well, seven years old.

People who own dogs and let their dogs mingle with children who are not fully developed and can be expected to act like normal children need to accept responsibility for their dogs. The adult, not the young child, needs to be the responsible one in such cases.

Also, the notion that the seven-year old 'provoked' this bite is mere speculation. What is not mere speculation is that some dog owner has a dog and that dog bit a young child.

Old 01-20-2019, 04:09 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,754,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Also, the notion that the seven-year old 'provoked' this bite is mere speculation. What is not mere speculation is that some dog owner has a dog and that dog bit a young child.
Never argued it. Merely noted that we never see an article like this that includes the slightest provocation by the food object. Odd how that is, having seen countless examples of someone teasing or challenging a strange (to them) dog with the apparent idea it's fun. I guess dogs never bite anyone when challenged or threatened, only when being completely, passively ignored.

At least, so the journalistic data would suggest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events