Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 12:58 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
DH and I had spent our adult lives in Army qtrs and when we bought a home with an HOA we were amazed by their rules and their rigid adherence to them.

One rule stated that no vehicle could idle at a curb. I used to use the services of the handivan (public handicapped transportation) and recieved numerous notifications regarding my infractions since the van had to be curbside in order to deploy the lift (guest parking was too small for the lift).

It took several HOA meetings and several votes to formally change the rules to allow handivan exemption; the residents were outraged that this was necessary. I had to have a few ambulances come for me and was honestly amazed that I didn't receive complaints from the HOA.

There was also a rule that stated that nothing was allowed to hang from the structures (plants, flags, wind chimes, etc.).

I answered a knock on my door to find two women from the HOA who were there to find us and to watch me remove my offending wind chime immediately.

I told them that we had nothing hanging from our home or garage and they called me a liar. As I am blind and in a wheelchair I do not allow strangers in my home when alone, so I told them they would have to wait until someone came home. When they came back my DH took them out to our yard and showed them the wind chime hanging from a shepherd's hook.

They called us liars and obviously he had picked up the hook on his way home. We sold that home quite happily and will never live in a home with an HOA again.
See? This is not life, this is a prison with hoa guards. Btw, thank you both for serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 01:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,486,659 times
I've read the CC&Rs of a few HOA's and it appears to me, there is nothing in there that gives them a clear way to dismiss even the most rediculous of crazy neighbor complaints. The rules say they must act. Your HOA

Old 03-06-2019, 01:31 PM

11,159 posts, read 7,957,639 times
I’d have told them to go pound sand....

Old 03-06-2019, 01:42 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Actually, the snow penis was 6 ft long not tall. It was laying down in a private yard. It was explained in a recent post.
I wasn’t saying there’s anything wrong with it I was simply clarifying that there are two seperate snow peni being discussed.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
I've read the CC&Rs of a few HOA's and it appears to me, there is nothing in there that gives them a clear way to dismiss even the most rediculous of crazy neighbor complaints. The rules say they must act. Your HOA
That’s what I was saying. There were required to follow up on this neighbors complaint like it or not. I have a feeling she’s a frequent complainer and makes their lives miserable. I’m sure they thought it was silly as well given that they rescinded the letter and apologized so quickly.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:06 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I wasn’t saying there’s anything wrong with it I was simply clarifying that there are two seperate snow peni being discussed.
6ft tall implies that it was above the ground sticking up 6ft. Actually both were laying down so both would be 6ft long, not tall.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Absolutely did just that!! So...I have 3/4 of an acre....house is far from road, on a culdesac with 3 other houses, 1 unoccupied. Only way anyone would see that was if they came in my yard. If uninvited...too bad...invited...they know me well enough to know I'm only slightly messed up and I have a sense of humor!.

Oh...and let me just add I didn't erect the erection...it was on the ground."

Old 03-06-2019, 02:51 PM

801 posts, read 452,055 times
HOA's suck. Period.

Old 03-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
6ft tall implies that it was above the ground sticking up 6ft. Actually both were laying down so both would be 6ft long, not tall.

"Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Absolutely did just that!! So...I have 3/4 of an acre....house is far from road, on a culdesac with 3 other houses, 1 unoccupied. Only way anyone would see that was if they came in my yard. If uninvited...too bad...invited...they know me well enough to know I'm only slightly messed up and I have a sense of humor!.

Oh...and let me just add I didn't erect the erection...it was on the ground."
OK well it was the other poster who said it was erect, it’s not a big deal.

Old 03-06-2019, 06:44 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Just to clarify again, it was a neighbor who took the photo and complained to the HOA. The HOA apologized to the homeowner and rescinded the letter after two emails back-and-forth with the her.

The standing penis however was another poster on this thread, who actually build a 6 foot tall erect penis out of snow.
Thanks for clarifying. Clearly, I didn't read the entire thread. Let that be a lesson to me.

Old 03-06-2019, 07:22 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,668,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
DH and I had spent our adult lives in Army qtrs and when we bought a home with an HOA we were amazed by their rules and their rigid adherence to them.

One rule stated that no vehicle could idle at a curb. I used to use the services of the handivan (public handicapped transportation) and recieved numerous notifications regarding my infractions since the van had to be curbside in order to deploy the lift (guest parking was too small for the lift).

It took several HOA meetings and several votes to formally change the rules to allow handivan exemption; the residents were outraged that this was necessary. I had to have a few ambulances come for me and was honestly amazed that I didn't receive complaints from the HOA.

There was also a rule that stated that nothing was allowed to hang from the structures (plants, flags, wind chimes, etc.).

I answered a knock on my door to find two women from the HOA who were there to find us and to watch me remove my offending wind chime immediately.

I told them that we had nothing hanging from our home or garage and they called me a liar. As I am blind and in a wheelchair I do not allow strangers in my home when alone, so I told them they would have to wait until someone came home. When they came back my DH took them out to our yard and showed them the wind chime hanging from a shepherd's hook.

They called us liars and obviously he had picked up the hook on his way home. We sold that home quite happily and will never live in a home with an HOA again.
You have got to be kidding me. I can't even believe this, but I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events