Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 PM

29,568 posts, read 22,955,248 times

Advertisements

This has been going on for a while, and people still continue to get scammed by these online dating things.

No matter how many times you warn people, they just don't get it (or want to get it).

This lady is out of $273K and out of luck (since she sent the money over willingly, nothing anyone can do about it).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...194204255.html

Quote:
A single woman was scammed out of $273K by a man posing as a U.S. Marine Corps Major on Match.com.

Yin, a 56-year-old hairstylist from Oakland, Calif., told ABC 7 that she purchased a $107 six-month membership to Match.com and started talking to “David Perez” of San Fransisco, a divorced Marine Corps Major with a 10-year-old daughter.

They hadn’t met in person but Yin told ABC 7, “I fell in love with him quickly, you know. Like really deeply fall in love with him, trust in everything he said.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,811,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This has been going on for a while, and people still continue to get scammed by these online dating things.

No matter how many times you warn people, they just don't get it (or want to get it).

This lady is out of $273K and out of luck (since she sent the money over willingly, nothing anyone can do about it).

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/woma...194204255.html

I think this is a lot of it. People are so desperate they believe what they want to and ignore any and all red flags.

Old 03-19-2019, 02:44 PM

8,930 posts, read 4,671,508 times
Why can't I ever find these women? I could sure use the money.....

Old 03-19-2019, 02:51 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,479,539 times
Being "in love" doesn't automatically do away with common sense, but unfortunately that happens quite often. I feel sorry that this woman was so blinded by the need for love that she allowed herself to be victimized by some internet low-life. I guess the only good thing about this would be if someone else learned from her mistake.

Old 03-19-2019, 03:27 PM

27,073 posts, read 12,016,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan123 View Post
I think this is a lot of it. People are so desperate they believe what they want to and ignore any and all red flags.

I agree....Dr Phil has done multiple shows on this with many "catfishers" found to actually live in Africa and other foreign countries. He slowly reveals to the women the red flags they ignored....and most seem to feel ridiculous that they sent someone they did not know thousands of dollars....

Old 03-20-2019, 01:53 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,751,203 times
Quote:
Many people are extremely lonely....these kinds of things are going to continue unfortunately.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:44 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,967,214 times
Even though the article says that she was scammed out of $273K, I have a hard time believing that. I would want more details of how she gave him the money, over what time period, etc. That is just not believable at all.

You hear about this all the time with online dating, but it's usually a couple hundred dollars or at most a couple thousand. Anyone who gives someone that much money (if it is true), and has never met the person, has some deep emotional/psychological issues.

That is not to blame the victim. It's just to point out that most people with sound mind would have fished out the scammer immediately based on red flags (don't tell anyone about the relationship, deposit the money in a Chinese bank account). Then she said as soon as she walked into the restaurant and didn't see him, she thought it was probably a scam. That makes this story all the more puzzling, since she seems to be of sound mind (how could she give someone that much money without meeting them first).

If it was a hundred dollars or even a thousand dollars, I could see how love could make someone blind, but to give up that much money (unless she is super rich), is hard to understand. That is the average cost of a 20 year mortgage for someone you've never met. To go in debt for 20 years (unless she is rich), for someone you've never met is hard to fathom.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 AM

24,985 posts, read 9,722,959 times
Quote:
Yup, it happens all the tine and it’s very sad for the victims.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:56 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,581,042 times
OK, I am blaming the victim.
Seriously, at what point do you take responsibility for your own short comings.
I am single and enjoy using match here and there. Nice way to meet new folks. Now I'm lucky in that I was in a awesome marriage for 30 years before losing my husband to cancer, so I'm not desperate to remarry. I was blessed once, not going to push my luck.

That being said,

1) you fall deeply in love with someone you never seen in person?? that's not love, that's make believe. that's believing in Prince charming and Pretty Woman. In real life prostitutes rarely fall in love with millionaires and prince charming ain't swooping down to rescue damsels in distress anymore.

2) Real love can handle going public. If you need to keep your "love" a secret, it ain't real.
3) People in the military are not, I repeat not disclosing "candlestine" missions to perfect strangers in emails. uhmmm he's doing a "secret" mission for the Marines yet he's telling everyone and his mother?
4) lol, lastly Uncle Sam foots the bill when they send troops overseas and they get deployment pay. why did he need her cash.

Ladies, I enjoy dating and yes I would love to be in a committed relationship again. being in love does not equal being stupid.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:02 AM

24,985 posts, read 9,722,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Even though the article says that she was scammed out of $273K, I have a hard time believing that..
Why would she need to lie about how much she got scammed by?

This scam happens all the time.

Quote:
The agency received more than 21,000 reports about romance scams in 2018, with total reported losses of $143 million.

People between the ages of 40 and 69 said they lost money at the highest rates among the different age groups. But people 70 and older lost the most money individually — about $10,000 was the median amount, the FTC says.
https://www.npr.org/2019/02/13/69417...cams-last-year
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events