Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,305,088 times

Advertisements

Goodness, avocados are famous in Australia for being the supposed cause of the younger generations' problems in buying real estate. Now they are causing environmental disasters too. What other evils are attributed to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 12:01 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,436,981 times
Years ago, Fallbrook, California was famous for being the avocado growing center of the world, then growers chopped down the groves due to water prices. Now those grove sites are plastered over with multi-million dollar McMansions...huge improvement.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:28 AM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
There's another "health food" that is creating havoc due to harvesting. Krill oil for omega 3s. Fish oil from internationally-manageable fin fisheries can give you Omega 3s too. Russia, Ukraine, and Japan have major fleets scouring the southern ocean for it just to create this supplement-of-the-moment. They don't tend to participate in international management programs. Krill form the foundation block of the marine food web but what do we do? Knock that foundation block out before it can nourish all the commercially-valuable larger fish, not to mention baleen whales and marine birds. Krill nets have to be so fine to capture it that there is a lot of bycatch...fish caught in krill nets are usually so damaged they can't be released.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:57 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I grow my own. EASY to grow here in FL.
Same with papayas.

On a different note, what's the end-all to this? The world's population has exploded over the past century or two, and people are living increasingly longer. We want to encourage healthy, vegetarian alternatives to excess meat consumption, and avocados provide tons of nutrients that are otherwise harder to find without meat. If it's not avocados, it's going to be something else. Next big thing, GUAVA! Oh, but wait, they ALSO require tons of water.

It sucks, but as long as our population numbers keep increasing the way they do, not much can be done. Unless we somehow find a way to "create" more water.
Do you think we should be providing irrigation water for those water hungry plants? Do you care about the unintended consequence of that?

BTW, almonds are even worse!

Old 04-20-2019, 07:29 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Well, seeing that an avocado is a wonderful tasting fruit that can be used in just about any dietary plan out there (keto, vegan, vegetarian, pescatarian, yada yada), it's no surprise there is such a huge demand for them.
I dunno about that. They have NO taste whatsoever, which I think is their value--they pick up the flavor of whatever they are with.

I am from New Jersey, so we didn't have avocados growing up. When they became trendy (90s, maybe? 80s when guacamole and Mexican food became a thing?), it took me a long time to get over the gag reflex from putting something so mushy in my mouth, but now I don't mind them, and when mixed with other things, they make a nice spread or dip.

Except for aggressive marketing, though, they probably would have remained a food only eaten regionally, and we would have been none the worse for it.

Old 04-20-2019, 07:40 AM

167 posts, read 190,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I dunno about that. They have NO taste whatsoever, which I think is their value--they pick up the flavor of whatever they are with.

I am from New Jersey, so we didn't have avocados growing up. When they became trendy (90s, maybe? 80s when guacamole and Mexican food became a thing?), it took me a long time to get over the gag reflex from putting something so mushy in my mouth, but now I don't mind them, and when mixed with other things, they make a nice spread or dip.

Except for aggressive marketing, though, they probably would have remained a food only eaten regionally, and we would have been none the worse for it.
What in the actual? What kind of poor quality avocados have you had that they have “no taste†and “pick up the flavor of whatever they’re with†? All the avocados I’ve had have a distinctive flavor that does not absorb other flavors. If something has avocado pieces in it you sure as heck can taste them. Lol at “Mexican food becoming a thing†man I wonder what those Mexicans were doing before the 90s when they finally decided to make their own food.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:03 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walmill View Post
What in the actual? What kind of poor quality avocados have you had that they have “no taste” and “pick up the flavor of whatever they’re with” ? All the avocados I’ve had have a distinctive flavor that does not absorb other flavors. If something has avocado pieces in it you sure as heck can taste them. Lol at “Mexican food becoming a thing” man I wonder what those Mexicans were doing before the 90s when they finally decided to make their own food.
Thought somebody would like that.

Mexican food wasn't something that was really around in NJ until the 80s or 90s. (Hell, neither were Mexicans. I went to Texas to visit someone in 1982 and the locals were complaining about Mexicans, and we had never met any. That has now changed.)

But seriously, to me, an avocado doesn't taste like anything at all. It's just mushy green stuff.

To answer your question about what type of avocados I have had, I guess the answer would be "those bred to withstand long-distance shipping." Which would explain a lack of discernible flavor.

I'll take your word for it that it is different where they can be grown locally.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:06 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
God... damn... those MILLLEEEEENNNNIIIAAAALLLSSS!!!!

Oil drilling, fracking, leveling jungles for palm oil plantations and cattle grazing, overfishing, polluting the ocean, dumping PCBs into the world's river systems, all so that we can consume plastic junk from Walmart, eat junk food, drive inefficient vehicles, live our lives ensconsed in a billion chemical compounds.

But it is the millennial's avocado toast that is "causing world wide environmental problems".

Seriously. You should record yourself and play it back. You should have a laugh along with the rest of us.
So, since others kill the planet, it's ok that we do it too... That's your arguement.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:11 AM

17,148 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

What?? I eat them raw, with nothing to accompany them. An avocado, boiled eggs and a banana are staple breakfasts for me. How do they have "no taste???"

To me, they taste somewhat like a giant mushy peanut.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:14 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,980,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What?? I eat them raw, with nothing to accompany them. An avocado, boiled eggs and a banana are staple breakfasts for me. How do they have "no taste???"

To me, they taste somewhat like a giant mushy peanut.
They make me puke, set off some terrible gag reflex, which is enough for me to say nope! Green snot is not on my diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events