Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,973,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I eat one of those delicious fruits every day. I'm sorry to learn that I'm a major cause of environmental damage. And it might let me live longer and be more active-----more stress on the environment. And to think that I was under the delusion that I was benefiting Mother Nature with my living habits.

Same here, for blood and digestive reasons.

Damned one way, damned another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,818,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In California, many farmers have taken out avocado trees and replaced them with table grapes. Grapes grow faster, use less water, and result in more profit than avocados. You wouldn't necessarily think so, given the price of avocados, but I heard these facts straight from an older vendor at the farmer's market who has been selling me avocados for years now. He doesn't have much competition at the farmer's market any more. Even here, the ones sold in the supermarket are generally coming from Mexico.

I am surprised to hear that avocados were not eaten on the East Coast until the 1990s. My brother has lived in New Jersey since the late 60s and he says they have always been available there. Avocados ship very well, actually, as they need at least several days off the tree before they ripen. Brother does agree that the Mexican food in NJ is not nearly as good or authentic as here, though, and that seems reasonable.

LOL You can stop being surprised, because it's not true. But it IS hilarious. I can't remember a time when I didn't see them in supermarkets here.

Heck, I used to remove the pit to grow a plant--when I was in HS (uh in the '60s).

Old 04-20-2019, 08:23 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,591,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post
People seriously need to quit blaming things like avocado's and almonds. Before it was avocado's, they were harping about all the water used for almond tree's. The biggest waster of water is factory farming. So I will continue to eat my avocado's, almonds and all the fruits, nuts and veggies in the Universe and laugh at these stupid stories.
Spoken like a true conservationist.

Old 04-20-2019, 08:38 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,807,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
In California, many farmers have taken out avocado trees and replaced them with table grapes. Grapes grow faster, use less water, and result in more profit than avocados. You wouldn't necessarily think so, given the price of avocados, but I heard these facts straight from an older vendor at the farmer's market who has been selling me avocados for years now. He doesn't have much competition at the farmer's market any more. Even here, the ones sold in the supermarket are generally coming from Mexico.

I am surprised to hear that avocados were not eaten on the East Coast until the 1990s. My brother has lived in New Jersey since the late 60s and he says they have always been available there. Avocados ship very well, actually, as they need at least several days off the tree before they ripen. Brother does agree that the Mexican food in NJ is not nearly as good or authentic as here, though, and that seems reasonable.
Yea, that is not even close to being true.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Yea, that is not even close to being true.
I will not question that. Avocados were just never on my radar or those of anyone I ever knew.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:40 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
My mom used to buy them when I was a kid growing up in Montreal...

Old 04-20-2019, 10:16 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Avocados grow REALLY WELL in Hawaii. We have about thirty different kinds of avocado around here, makes those pitiful Hass avocados look ridiculous.

Avocado Varieties from March 08

http://bigislandnow.com/wp-content/u...cadoPoster.jpg

https://s649.photobucket.com/user/ho...ml?sort=3&o=16

That third link is the back yard avocados. Those are the Lehua variety from the tree in the back yard with an egg for size comparison. It wasn't a particularly special harvest that day, I just had the camera with me out in the yard.

HOWEVER, as part of NAFTA, I think it was - around the mid-nineties anyway, a trade agreement was signed with Mexico which made it ILLEGAL for avocados from Hawaii to be shipped to the mainland. So, we have all these lovely sustainably grown avocados here and we CAN NOT ship them to you. BY LAW! And we're supposed to be part of the United States they say.

We have loads of water, water is not a problem, we have lots of avocados, but lovely politicians are keeping you from enjoying them.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:11 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,418 times
I was fortunate to grow my own avocados in SoCal. They ripened on the tree and were delicious eaten only with the juice of a Mexican lime (also home grown), salt & pepper.

Any fruit that is commercially grown and artificially ripened, from apples to tomatoes, won’t taste as good.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:20 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
I have 3 avocado trees in my own backyard. I don’t even like eating avocados. Yeah, I’m part of the problem.

Old 04-21-2019, 04:07 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Goodness, avocados are famous in Australia for being the supposed cause of the younger generations' problems in buying real estate. Now they are causing environmental disasters too. What other evils are attributed to them?

Facial cancer in Tasmanian Devils.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events