Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:18 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,533,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thought somebody would like that.

Mexican food wasn't something that was really around in NJ until the 80s or 90s. (Hell, neither were Mexicans. I went to Texas to visit someone in 1982 and the locals were complaining about Mexicans, and we had never met any. That has now changed.)

But seriously, to me, an avocado doesn't taste like anything at all. It's just mushy green stuff.

To answer your question about what type of avocados I have had, I guess the answer would be "those bred to withstand long-distance shipping." Which would explain a lack of discernible flavor.

I'll take your word for it that it is different where they can be grown locally.
I'm in Jersey too and agree. It was a huge melting pot of Europeans but that has changed a lot. I also don't remember any kind of Mexican food until then.

I don't eat avocado's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 09:42 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,492,377 times
Some of y'all are getting some bad avocados.

Old 04-20-2019, 09:59 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
:
But seriously, to me, an avocado doesn't taste like anything at all. It's just mushy green stuff. .
Good ones have a rich, nutty flavor.

In Hawaii, these trees grow like weeds. They are not heavy water users, nor expensive to grow. Actually, one of the very least expensive trees to grow as they seem to thrive without fertilizer or fuss.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:07 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
In California, many farmers have taken out avocado trees and replaced them with table grapes. Grapes grow faster, use less water, and result in more profit than avocados. You wouldn't necessarily think so, given the price of avocados, but I heard these facts straight from an older vendor at the farmer's market who has been selling me avocados for years now. He doesn't have much competition at the farmer's market any more. Even here, the ones sold in the supermarket are generally coming from Mexico.

I am surprised to hear that avocados were not eaten on the East Coast until the 1990s. My brother has lived in New Jersey since the late 60s and he says they have always been available there. Avocados ship very well, actually, as they need at least several days off the tree before they ripen. Brother does agree that the Mexican food in NJ is not nearly as good or authentic as here, though, and that seems reasonable.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:15 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
OP, if you want to blame someone consider the man who brought this fruit to US-David Fairchild.

I for one am extremely grateful for his work.

https://www.amazon.com/Food-Explorer...81879813&psc=1

Old 04-20-2019, 10:27 AM

130,099 posts, read 12,078,224 times
I love avocados & their unique flavor. I think they can be pretty drought resistant too, as I knew a man in the Bay Area, who had one in his yard, he never watered it yet it still bore fruit, it depended on the winter rainfall. Of course for commercial farmers they probably need lots of water, but so does rice, which grows in water, rice paddies, & almonds etc.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:29 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It sucks, but as long as our population numbers keep increasing the way they do, not much can be done. Unless we somehow find a way to "create" more water.

No problem.

The icebergs are melting.

Ain't you heard?

Old 04-20-2019, 11:00 AM

9,405 posts, read 11,153,578 times
If we close the Mexico border, there will be an avocado shortage within two weeks.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
People seriously need to quit blaming things like avocado's and almonds. Before it was avocado's, they were harping about all the water used for almond tree's. The biggest waster of water is factory farming. So I will continue to eat my avocado's, almonds and all the fruits, nuts and veggies in the Universe and laugh at these stupid stories.

Old 04-20-2019, 11:25 AM

6,452 posts, read 3,971,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I eat one of those delicious fruits every day. I'm sorry to learn that I'm a major cause of environmental damage. And it might let me live longer and be more active-----more stress on the environment. And to think that I was under the delusion that I was benefiting Mother Nature with my living habits.
Nah. Nothing you do benefits the world or environment. There is literally no way you can live without causing harm. The best you can do is to cause as little as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Goodness, avocados are famous in Australia for being the supposed cause of the younger generations' problems in buying real estate. Now they are causing environmental disasters too. What other evils are attributed to them?
We need to update the Clue game! It was the millennials, all over the world, with the avocados!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
So, since others kill the planet, it's ok that we do it too... That's your arguement.
Nope. You're missing the point entirely. They're saying this argument is the equivalent of having your arm cut off, then crying because you stubbed your toe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events