Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 04:29 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,453,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
This is very disgraceful; half a million bees have been killed in a beehive arson in Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/01/us/te...rnd/index.html
LMAO!

Maybe because people are tired of BEES?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 06:18 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,482,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Meh, the article is BS sensationalism. Ooh, a half a million bees! The horror

Oh, honeybee numbers are dwindling!

Do you know what the natural number of honeybees is in the US?

It's 0. That's right, ZERO. Honey bees are not native to North America, they are an imported foreign species. Our 'survival' is in no way tied to the survival of the honey bee. There are plenty of natural pollinators, which are not honey bees.

The pollination of certain crops, by some producers, is a commercial decision, as production can be enhanced by flooding an area with imported pollinators instead of letting 'nature' do her thing.

I am a beekeeper. The average double-deep hive contains 50,000-70,000 bees. So, less than a dozen average hives destroyed. While the destruction of personal property by vandals is deplorable, it is by no means a crisis...and certainly nothing more than simple vandalism. I lost nearly as many bees this past Winter, as a result of shrews invading some of my hives, and a longer, colder Winter which rendered the bees' stores insufficient

What a miserable person you project yourself as. Rather than caring that this happened to a fellow beekeeper, you write this.

Apparently others care more about bees (and their fellow man) than you do. Fortunately.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:02 PM

4,994 posts, read 5,316,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Meh, the article is BS sensationalism. Ooh, a half a million bees! The horror

Oh, honeybee numbers are dwindling!

Do you know what the natural number of honeybees is in the US?

It's 0. That's right, ZERO. Honey bees are not native to North America, they are an imported foreign species. Our 'survival' is in no way tied to the survival of the honey bee. There are plenty of natural pollinators, which are not honey bees.

The pollination of certain crops, by some producers, is a commercial decision, as production can be enhanced by flooding an area with imported pollinators instead of letting 'nature' do her thing.

I am a beekeeper. The average double-deep hive contains 50,000-70,000 bees. So, less than a dozen average hives destroyed. While the destruction of personal property by vandals is deplorable, it is by no means a crisis...and certainly nothing more than simple vandalism. I lost nearly as many bees this past Winter, as a result of shrews invading some of my hives, and a longer, colder Winter which rendered the bees' stores insufficient
I in no way condone the behavior. It was despicable. I've also been surprised at how this has made the news.

Old 05-04-2019, 08:08 PM

102,263 posts, read 108,293,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Because...
Things are really bad, so let's make them worse?
Because desperate times will bring out the nut jobs, the mentally ill, the people with axes to grind against "society", and they'll figure they can really do some serious damage. Of course it's irrational, but there are people like that out there.

Old 05-04-2019, 09:35 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 6 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,231,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
LMAO!

Maybe because people are tired of BEES?
Odd reaction. I know people who are frightened of bees, or allergic to bees, but tired of bees? What prompted that?

Old 05-05-2019, 06:36 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,453,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Odd reaction. I know people who are frightened of bees, or allergic to bees, but tired of bees? What prompted that?
My train of thought:

Perhaps a disgruntled local resident in such proximity to the beekeeper that they are experiencing a larger than normal amount on their property? Perhaps they're tired of being exposed to things that frighten them, or that they're allergic to? Maybe competition

Not saying this is the way to handle matters. Destruction of property and animal (insect?) cruelty is not condoned. Ever. But motivation to commit arson on bee hives seems completely random, at best. I'm trying my best to speculate.

Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 PM

9,386 posts, read 7,014,974 times
Not many people understand the importance of bees.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:13 PM

32,990 posts, read 36,513,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Not many people understand the importance of bees.
I think that many of us do.

Old 05-06-2019, 05:19 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,196,173 times
Terrible, senseless crime, but you gotta admit, "The Great Texas Beehive Arson" is a damn catchy phrase.

Almost as good as "The Great Boston Molasses Flood".

Old 05-16-2019, 11:13 AM

108 posts, read 56,903 times
Thats horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events