Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 05:54 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times

Advertisements

It's the thought that counts!

Old 05-25-2019, 07:00 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Looking at those prizes as a whole, I'm pretty sure they were just token gifts anyway. I cant imagine athletes wanting to participate in the tournament based on the prize list alone, lol. I will give you that the prize coordinator could have done better unless the only donations for prizes came from a local pharmacy with a limited selection.

If someone doesn't like it, or it even disgusts them they can simply leave it where they received it.

I would imagine that there are females who would not get offended, and would possibly even use the product, or at least try it out. Are women not supposed to have a sexuality or something?

If this isn't high school level or below competition - grow up ladies. We certainly have more important issues, like equal pay, human trafficking, domestic violence etc to get upset about.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:06 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
I don't know if it's "sexist" because I don't know what the men got.

The overreacting was ridiculous. Three of them resigned? Really?

And the only thing you should say when you get any gift, is Thank you.

Much ado about nothing.
If you can't see how unprofessional and inappropriate prizes like this are I have to question your parents and how you were raised.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:31 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Looking at those prizes as a whole, I'm pretty sure they were just token gifts anyway. I cant imagine athletes wanting to participate in the tournament based on the prize list alone, lol. I will give you that the prize coordinator could have done better unless the only donations for prizes came from a local pharmacy with a limited selection.

If someone doesn't like it, or it even disgusts them they can simply leave it where they received it.

I would imagine that there are females who would not get offended, and would possibly even use the product, or at least try it out. Are women not supposed to have a sexuality or something?

If this isn't high school level or below competition - grow up ladies. We certainly have more important issues, like equal pay, human trafficking, domestic violence etc to get upset about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If you can't see how unprofessional and inappropriate prizes like this are I have to question your parents and how you were raised.

...and how everyone else who responded before me was raised, too?

But as long as mine was the only post you found offensive, I didn't say the prize was "appropriate," I said that those players overreacted with today's typical outrage, and I stand by that.

So you might want to start "questioning" the upbringing of people who stomp their feet, descend on social media, and call CNN, when they receive an inappropriate gift, instead of ignoring it or tossing it--after saying "Thank you," of course. (Personally, I'd have tossed everything but that Dr. Scholl's exfoliator.)

Oh, and as Martha Stewart might say, reading comprehension is a good thing.

Old 05-25-2019, 07:43 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
Quote:

this isn't high school level or below competition - grow up ladies. We certainly have more important issues, like equal pay, human trafficking, domestic violence etc to get upset about.

Bingo!

These aren't HS kids, they're women in their late 30s. And, yes, they should have simply left the the prize.

About the pharmacy providing prizes, that's an interesting point because a lot of these "gift bags" are, in fact, provided by sponsors. So participants might want to check that out in the future, too. Unless sponsors don't matter.

Regardless, like the 500 or so people who chose to open this thread without responding probably thought, this isn't important in the grand scheme of things.

Not by a long shot.

Old 05-25-2019, 08:34 AM

893 posts, read 510,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Honestly, what's the big deal? Okay so maybe it's not for everyone. They could just graciously thank the hosts for the prizes, and pass them on to some relative or friend who needs them. Frankly it sounds like these uptight sore winners could benefit from a little "relaxation".
If you don't get it, then you are a part of what is wrong with society today.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:11 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,082,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkypeanut View Post
If you don't get it, then you are a part of what is wrong with society today.
If there is a problem with society it is certainly coming from the folks that want to assume a woman enjoying pleasure is inappropriate. Isnt that what female circumcision is about - a woman enjoying pleasure is inappropriate?

This isn't the Victorian era. The competition did not take place in a radical or backward country, or...at least we hope.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
If there is a problem with society it is certainly coming from the folks that want to assume a woman enjoying pleasure is inappropriate. Isnt that what female circumcision is about - a woman enjoying pleasure is inappropriate?
It has nothing to do with denying women pleasure and everything to do with appropriate prizes for a professional sporting event. If your workplace gave vibrators and fleshlights as gifts to employees at the company picnic, that would be inappropriate and unprofessional unless you worked in sex industry.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:58 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
...and how everyone else who responded before me was raised, too?

But as long as mine was the only post you found offensive, I didn't say the prize was "appropriate," I said that those players overreacted with today's typical outrage, and I stand by that.

So you might want to start "questioning" the upbringing of people who stomp their feet, descend on social media, and call CNN, when they receive an inappropriate gift, instead of ignoring it or tossing it--after saying "Thank you," of course. (Personally, I'd have tossed everything but that Dr. Scholl's exfoliator.)

Oh, and as Martha Stewart might say, reading comprehension is a good thing.

The gift was inappropriate, I think we agree on that. Just who are you to say how the recipient's should react to this offensive gift? The gift was a huge mistake acknowledged by the tournament organizer. The players had ever right to voice their displeasure and you have no right to say they were wrong in doing so.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:57 AM

893 posts, read 510,637 times
Quote:

This isn't the Victorian era. The competition did not take place in a radical or backward country, or...at least we hope.
THINK!
Imagine you are a professional athlete, years of dedication to your sport - you are with your proud spouse, children, parents and grandparents at the prizegiving - and they give you a sex toy.

Or...if your company gave sex toys to their staff for a Christmas bonus - do you think they would?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events