Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:32 PM

22,674 posts, read 24,660,350 times

Advertisements

Too sensitive..................I would GLADLY take this young Lady as a prize any day of the week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noFdLFMvh3Y

Old 05-27-2019, 08:40 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,651,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
You clearly aren't a diplomat or should I say shouldn't be a diplomat. What happened here is just some little thing that happened, inappropriate perhaps, but the athletes didn't have to have a hissy fit about it. Anyone with common sense should easily figure that out in a split second.
I’m not a diplomat nor do I need to be one to see the obvious issue with this situation. It’s not about the athletes throwing a hissy fit, it’s about the inappropriateness in the first place and the athletes have every right to be upset with it. It’s entirely moronic to think this would be an okay gift

Old 05-27-2019, 08:44 PM

6,716 posts, read 5,960,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
I’m not a diplomat nor do I need to be one to see the obvious issue with this situation. It’s not about the athletes throwing a hissy fit, it’s about the inappropriateness in the first place and the athletes have every right to be upset with it. It’s entirely moronic to think this would be an okay gift
Okay, so the gifts were inappropriate. So what, was a gift part of their contracts? "ATHLETE will receive a nice, tasteful, and appropriate gift at the end of the tournament."

Why couldn't they just laugh it off, leave the gifts right where they found them, and just move on? Heck they could probably sell it on Ebay and at least get a few dollars out of it.

Old 05-27-2019, 08:49 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,651,841 times
Quote:
Okay, so the gifts were inappropriate. So what, was a gift part of their contracts? "ATHLETE will receive a nice, tasteful, and appropriate gift at the end of the tournament."

Why couldn't they just laugh it off, leave the gifts right where they found them, and just move on? Heck they could probably sell it on Ebay and at least get a few dollars out of it.

The gifts were inappropriate and as such there is and should be zero issue with the athletes bringing it up. Whoever was responsible for putting the tournament on, creating/approving the gift should be reviewed. It should not be upon the athletes to simply laugh off inappropriate behavior. Should we expect women to laugh off comments about their breasts in the workplace? Why about a slap on the ass? Where is it you drawn the line? The line should be about what’s appropriate or not and this is clearly inappropriate. Maybe you believe women shouldn’t wear short skirts to ward off rape attempts but I don’t agree with that either

Old 05-27-2019, 09:20 PM

15,547 posts, read 10,539,245 times
Quote:
They are wrong. They should be the grownups in the room, laugh at the silly "gifts", and move on. They're professional athletes, not school children.
Laugh, hell no. It was a stunt for the company to make money off those players.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,051,409 times
a little pleasure never hurt anyone

Old 05-28-2019, 12:29 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,473,049 times
Quote:
Disagreeing is not the same as trolling.
Calling a vibrator a 'feature of everyday life' is not disagreeing. It's ludicrous.

A tv, a cell phone, and a microwave are features of everyday life. If a plastic phallus was a feature of everyday life, then people would display them around the house, and we'd hear things like, 'oh hey, Midge, could you hand me that *****? I need to stroke a few out,' on the regular.

Here's a tip: if it's not a universal gift, i.e. something you could not comfortably give to your mother-in-law, your favorite niece, or your daughter, then it isn't appropriate. This really isn't that complicated.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:00 AM

16,335 posts, read 10,465,858 times
Now the argument is a vibrator is a part of everyday life?

As I said stupid does not take off on holidays.

Old 05-28-2019, 05:11 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,721,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
The gifts were inappropriate and as such there is and should be zero issue with the athletes bringing it up. Whoever was responsible for putting the tournament on, creating/approving the gift should be reviewed. It should not be upon the athletes to simply laugh off inappropriate behavior. Should we expect women to laugh off comments about their breasts in the workplace? Why about a slap on the ass? Where is it you drawn the line? The line should be about what’s appropriate or not and this is clearly inappropriate. Maybe you believe women shouldn’t wear short skirts to ward off rape attempts but I don’t agree with that either
I'm pretty sure the answer would be an emphatic "Yes!" from the people in this thread who are falling all over themselves to justify this nonsense.

Let's face it, they resent the decreasing social acceptance for the sexual objectification of women. They miss the days when they - or at least the men they admire, the ones they consider 'alpha' - could routinely do the things you mention with no worries at all of repercussions.

Threads like these are Rorshach tests. They speak volumes about some people.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:08 AM

13,721 posts, read 12,483,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
A professional squash athlete, lol? Okay...

I never realized that someone could get paid for a full professional season of squash play. Like a professional football player might.

Squash is making bid and hoping to get accepted for the 2024 Olympics. Its not accepted as of yet.

It will be interesting to see how a device designed for women being given out as a prize to women is found to be sexist and discriminatory. I could see if the vibrator and waxing set were prizes bought by a woman and given to men professional squash athletes could be considered sexist.

The only way to discriminate is to not allow someone to play. Were any of the women that played told that they couldn't, lol? Were they given blow up dolls as prizes?

Its really ridiculous, and I hope the incident isn't used as a reason to keep squash out of the Olympics.
You can be Sexist without being discriminatory. It isn't discriminatory but it isn't "right."
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Your line of thinking is just so bizarre, even for the internet. Let's break it down step by step:

1. Are prizes typically reviewed before the competition? I highly doubt it. And even if they were what are you suggesting? The player see the gift, pack their bags and go home? Are you serious? They came to compete, not for the prizes obviously. What an amazingly stupid suggestion.

2. The only controversy here is the prize, I have no idea why you are bringing the Olympics into this debate. They award with medals, they don't hand out sex toys to the winner.

3. You are focusing on the difference between a vibrator and a strap on for reasons only known to you. Get it through your head, both are inappropriate. Again would you expect to see either at an office party give away? Of course not. Why? Because they are both inappropriate and unprofessional given the situation. This is no different.
I agree with Dave that its not appropriate.

However, given that its Squash, and relatively low profile, and relatively low budget...I wonder if we're not being overly harsh. It could have been that the promoter and gym owner also owned a few pharmacy's and asked someone to put together gift boxes "No more than 50 Euro, for Women" or something like that.

That said whoever did it likely had almost no working relationship with any competitive female Athlete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events