Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2019, 12:10 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Exactly how hard is it not to get a parking ticket?
In some places, signs are not placed in such a way that everyone will notice. And sometimes parking is so restricted that your only options are to simply go back home or "take the risk". Have you never had this happen? What would you do if you were going to an important meeting or event and there was only "2-hour parking" for a 3 hour event? Risk the ticket, or give up and go home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
To keep registration up to date? I would think a poor person would be even more on top of it given they would not want to owe the money.
Sometimes the registration fee itself can be quite high. Worse yet, in states with ad valorem taxes, the state demands an annual payment that can be hundreds of dollars even for a relatively modest vehicle. Poor people often have choices to make like whether to pay the rent or the personal property tax bill. For someone near the federal poverty level, a $300 tax/registration bill can make the difference between complying with the law and "living on borrowed time".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2019, 12:10 PM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Absolutely.

The two times I've been unfortunate enough to be in a tow yard, they also had very burly menacing looking people in the reclaim office, and signs saying you better behave in here. Because all day long, they're dealing with people who are outraged and indignant. Not a job I'd want, although it is lucrative.
I would rather plow snow as a private contractor.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:27 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In some places, signs are not placed in such a way that everyone will notice. And sometimes parking is so restricted that your only options are to simply go back home or "take the risk". Have you never had this happen? What would you do if you were going to an important meeting or event and there was only "2-hour parking" for a 3 hour event? Risk the ticket, or give up and go home?
No, I have never had a parking ticket. If you know it is two hour parking but still go over that amount, sorry, live with the consequences. If you want to take the risk, fine, but live with the consequences.

Again, despite all my driving not only in the US, but all over the world, I have never had a parking ticket, and that includes my numerous trip driving around San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Sometimes the registration fee itself can be quite high. Worse yet, in states with ad valorem taxes, the state demands an annual payment that can be hundreds of dollars even for a relatively modest vehicle. Poor people often have choices to make like whether to pay the rent or the personal property tax bill. For someone near the federal poverty level, a $300 tax/registration bill can make the difference between complying with the law and "living on borrowed time".
Well, if you cannot afford your car, you should not have one. San Francisco has an excellent public trans system, so it is not like a car is needed to get around there. If California's registration fees are so high, perhaps they should lower them? Perhaps people should vote in representatives that will lower them? But seems to me they are satisfied with such fees. Elections have consequences, lol.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:51 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StcLurker View Post
Good for him, I honestly mean that. However, the majority of towing companies don't have that kind of money. Most are small businesses with a handful of trucks and employees, the cost of towing in cars that don't get picked up can add up quickly.
I think that's because the majority of tow operations are the kind that people welcome.

You call them if your car is stuck, or won't start, or is wrecked, and they come at your request for not much money and move your car. They may not have the ability to store ANY cars, at all.

It's the other kind, who are on contract to come tow at the request of someone other than the owner, and they own an enormous lot on the outskirts of town, and make their money basically out of ransom, not for their needed towing service.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:54 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Of course everyone realizes that. But there is also the problem of the Government seizing property in order to pay overdue vehicle registration or parking tickets. I'm surprised at all the free market ideologues and libertarians who don't see how wrong that is.

That's a completely separate issue.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:58 PM

10,743 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I thought it was incredibly profound. And true. And written by a wealthy successful woman who tried to make it on the salary of a full time walmart employee. And couldn't.
It's neither profound, nor true.

Quote:
You have to realize, that people who work full time at walmart (or in a housekeeping service, or at a diner) are subsidizing your cheap luxuries.
Wrong again. A Wal-Mart worker exchanging their labor for a market determined wage isn't subsidizing me, nor anyone else.

Quote:
And it is uncomfortable to look that in the face. That the "working poor" we give very grudging respect to are supporting your wealthy lifestyle. It is because of them, that your life is so much easier and convenient.
No working poor support my lifestyle.

Quote:
But I guess perspective is everything, and you somehow know better than she.
The issue isn't perspective, but rather, reality. What you are trying to portray here is most certainly not reality.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
It's neither profound, nor true.

Wrong again. A Wal-Mart worker exchanging their labor for a market determined wage isn't subsidizing me, nor anyone else.

No working poor support my lifestyle.

The issue isn't perspective, but rather, reality. What you are trying to portray here is most certainly not reality.
If you shop at walmart, eat fast food, use a house cleaning service, or a landscaping service, then yes, paying the providers of those services below a living wage is subsidizing your lifestyle on the backs of others.

Maybe you don't use any of those services. The prices of those goods and services are artificially low, brought to you by people who work full time but are in poverty.

Maybe you check our and sack your own groceries, too.

I'm not trying to "portray" anything, but rather, quoting directly from a book written by a woman who has walked the walk, and in fact, at the start, thought very differently about the working poor than she did at the end of the experience.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:29 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
No, that is the issue

Old 06-01-2019, 02:46 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
No, that is exactly what the topic is about. Did you read the article? That's precisely what it's about.

Old 06-01-2019, 02:53 PM

6,706 posts, read 5,935,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Even as a Conservative I can sympathize.

I have a friend who works hard, makes about $14 an hour and much of that goes to paying for his 1 kids child support. He has no family and lives in his car. Rents a cheap hotel room every other weekend to have his son.

His car is his home, no license, no Insurance. I've seen it towed and it costs him a small fortune to get it back.

In the meantime he's stranded, basically homeless. Can't go see his son, can't really get to work.

Once a person get's in a hole, it's hell getting out. Paying big fines, towing and court costs just digs that broke person a deeper hole.

So what do you do?
Get the hell out of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events