Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2019, 06:51 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times

Advertisements

So this is a current events forum, and I see other threads here about shootings. I just had a thread deleted about the Va Beach shooting on Friday. Why?

Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Shooting topics are okay here (as long as they don't turn into gun rights debates). Mass shooting threads belong in P&OC

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-my-topic.html

Old 06-02-2019, 07:03 AM

6,449 posts, read 9,807,225 times
because they pick and choose which threads they will allow or not. There's no one policing the people that delete threads.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Shooting topics are okay here (as long as they don't turn into gun rights debates). Mass shooting threads belong in P&OC

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...-my-topic.html
But why? It’s a “current event” and frankly one that is very close to me, not anything political or controversial. It’s a tragic event. Horrific.
I was hoping to read others take on this shooting as we are all at a loss on this thing. I never thought my workplace would be the site of such horror. Go figure that CD censors the one tragedy that has hit home the most, for me.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
This is a really good question, and maybe a mod will step in and clarify.

I know there are hot button topics that aren't allowed, but there were two threads deleted last night that I thought were very interesting, thought-provoking topics.

Gone today.

It does seem, rule-of-thumb, that any topic that inspires real debate will be deleted.

It may be that this forum is for more general information topics, things that no one could oppose, like food safety recalls or hurricane warnings.

Who would imagine a deranged person shooting up his workplace and causing so many deaths would actually be controversial.

Sorry for your pain, Chessiemom. It would be really good to hear a voice from someone so close to the scene.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:35 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
But why? It’s a “current event” and frankly one that is very close to me, not anything political or controversial. It’s a tragic event. Horrific.
I was hoping to read others take on this shooting as we are all at a loss on this thing. I never thought my workplace would be the site of such horror. Go figure that CD censors the one tragedy that has hit home the most, for me.
You just need to know the right forums to discuss these things. City-data isn’t censoring anything. There are probably 5 or 6 threads on this very subject in Politics and Other Controversies right now. It’s a logic flaw in the system for sure. This is a forum for “Non-controversial” current events. Political topics are not allowed. I understand it seems counter intuitive to not be able to discuss a current event in a section titled “current events”. Unfortunately the most I can do is try to communicate as much as possible, until at some point point that the owners of the website want to clarify or change this designation.

Again to be clear you can discuss these things, you just have to do it in the right forums. We tried to allow mass shooting discussions here but stopped a few years ago because there is simply no way to discuss them without politics being brought into it.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
You just need to know the right forums to discuss these things. City-data isn’t censoring anything. There are probably 5 or 6 threads on this very subject in Politics and Other Controversies right now. It’s a logic flaw in the system for sure. This is a forum for “Non-controversial” current events. Political topics are not allowed. I understand it seems counter intuitive to not be able to discuss a current event in a section titled “current events”. Unfortunately the most I can do is try to communicate as much as possible, until at some point point that the owners of the website want to clarify or change this designation.

Again to be clear you can discuss these things, you just have to do it in the right forums. We tried to allow mass shooting discussions here but stopped a few years ago because there is simply no way to discuss them without politics being brought into it.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for the explanation - I do appreciate that.

I'd rather the post be allowed, and political rants be deleted per the guidelines. It's a shame that there cannot be simple heartfelt discussion on such issues. But I get it. Thanks again.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Who would imagine a deranged person shooting up his workplace and causing so many deaths would actually be controversial.

Sorry for your pain, Chessiemom. It would be really good to hear a voice from someone so close to the scene.
Thank you. I think I was in shock for an entire day. All of our buildings were locked down a few years back because of these types of events. Makes it all the harder to comprehend. How does one mow down the very people that they have spent their days with for 15 years? It won't help anyone grieve less, but I am hoping they at least figure out his motive.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 06-02-2019 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2019, 08:34 AM

16,415 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Thank you for the explanation - I do appreciate that.

I'd rather the post be allowed, and political rants be deleted per the guidelines. It's a shame that there cannot be simple heartfelt discussion on such issues. But I get it. Thanks again.
But the post is allowed. Just in a different forum. It's just geography.

The unfortunate reality is that discussions about mass shootings are rarely simple heartfelt discussions. They devolve into very passionate, sometimes very ugly debates.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:39 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,940,183 times
I wonder if this topic might be appropriate in the grief and loss forum?

The Politics forum is just rife with people who are sitting at their keyboards waiting for any opportunity to fight. That's not where you want to be with this sad topic.

Anyway, Chessiemom, I wish you well. It's likely this will be with you forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events