Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM

13,261 posts, read 8,084,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Yes, actually the manager can, and it happens a lot. People are judged in stores and all public places by the way they look. I get that all the time. Since I can't help but stick out in a crowd, I get stared at or looked at with suspicion. A store manager can kick me out just for looking suspicious in their eyes.

EVERYBODY judges and gets judged every single day.

That is not the same as getting kicked out of an establishment based on the vague aesthetics of a food chain manager. And if the food chain manager DOES decide to over step his authority, than expect to be shamed, and possibly sued.

IF someone wants to draw the line at midrif tops, then put a sign on the door to that effect. And then NO ONE gets to wear midrif tops. If no shorts are allowed, then put a sign on the door, and NO ONE gets to wear shorts. If the manager doesn't like cleavage, than put a sign on the door, and then God help any woman in anything more revealing than a turtle neck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 01:18 PM

7,161 posts, read 12,727,581 times
For me, it's not about her body size but that she was showing rather more than I'd prefer to see if I were a customer dining there, too. Not an attractive look imho.

Old 06-05-2019, 01:28 PM

People dress ugly (according to MY aethetics) all the time. It's a temporary issue. There are lots of solutions. I can ask for a different table so I don't have to see it, I can choose to ignore, I can choose to look at my lunch or dinner companion instead of looking around at everyone else...

But what the what that I don't like what someone's wearing? ESPECIALLY some stranger that I will likely never see again? PFFFTTT. Who made ME the fashion police? Who made ME the emperor of the world?

Old 06-05-2019, 01:35 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,046,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
The problem may not have been her top. Her raggedy cut offs were probably allowing butt cheek to show. She's dressed for a day at the beach, not a restaurant. She's going out to celebrate a birthday, drives an hour away from home, but wears clothes that are too small and too revealing, and raggedy.
Yep.

Plus, her selfie shows her standing up. What happens when she bends over? Inevitable butt cheek and a view down her top to her navel.

There's just not enough cloth there to cover this heifer. Is her name Spring? 'Cause she's bustin' out all over.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:13 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,969,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIDER04 View Post
From a legal standpoint, I don't know if Golden Corral was right or wrong. I do know that I wouldn't have gone with this young lady to a restaurant dressed in that outfit. I would have given a reason she and the rest of the group needed to go on without me. Never would I have embarrassed her in any way, but to be seen with her in public would be embarrassing for me.
Legal standpoint? There is no legal standpoint. I mean are you serious? This is a private business. Have you heard of the premise, often posted by businesses, that say "we reserve the right to refuse service for any reason"? I would say if she refused to leave the police would have been called and she would have been issued a tresspassing warning and if failing to comply she would have been arrested and if she failed to comply past that point she would have experienced the business end of a taser and billy club - that is your legal standpoint.

Now, indeed there are protected classes that she potentially would have legal ground - lawsuit or whatever. But "fat, ugly, and stupid" is not a protected class in this country, thank God for that.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:18 PM

43,532 posts, read 18,601,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
EVERYBODY judges and gets judged every single day.

That is not the same as getting kicked out of an establishment based on the vague aesthetics of a food chain manager. And if the food chain manager DOES decide to over step his authority, than expect to be shamed, and possibly sued.

IF someone wants to draw the line at midrif tops, then put a sign on the door to that effect. And then NO ONE gets to wear midrif tops. If no shorts are allowed, then put a sign on the door, and NO ONE gets to wear shorts. If the manager doesn't like cleavage, than put a sign on the door, and then God help any woman in anything more revealing than a turtle neck.
Well now do you know what the complaint was ?
Can you provide a link other than what the victim claimed ?

There are always 2 sides to a story and we've only heard one side.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:42 PM

12,334 posts, read 17,189,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why that outfit was out of line, especially for a place like Golden Corral.. They have no dress code, pretty safe bet others have dressed worse, and suddenly they enact a dress code when one did not exist before?

They were wrong and I applaud the woman for standing up for herself.
It wasn't out of line. She was mostly still covered. Plus it's Golden Corral which is not much of a step above a fast food place. Its not the Ritz.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 1 day ago)

35,877 posts, read 18,189,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Legal standpoint? There is no legal standpoint. I mean are you serious? This is a private business. Have you heard of the premise, often posted by businesses, that say "we reserve the right to refuse service for any reason"? I would say if she refused to leave the police would have been called and she would have been issued a tresspassing warning and if failing to comply she would have been arrested and if she failed to comply past that point she would have experienced the business end of a taser and billy club - that is your legal standpoint.

Now, indeed there are protected classes that she potentially would have legal ground - lawsuit or whatever. But "fat, ugly, and stupid" is not a protected class in this country, thank God for that.
That sign that we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone is absolutely as useless as the sign that says the establishment can not be held liable for injuries.

Yes, you will be held liable for injuries if you knew a risk existed but didn't either fix it or clearly communicate it to your paying customers.

You can very rarely refuse service to customers, Dd, and you have to have a very very clear policy.

No shirt no shoes no service. No dogs allowed. Quiet times strictly enforced. No alcohol allowed. Black tie dress required.

BTW, they didn't tell her to leave. They told her to cover up. If she had brought a sweater, I think this would be solved.

Old 06-05-2019, 02:49 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,091,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
but I agree with crd08 who bragged that she could wear that outfit and not be kicked out. No one knows what that poster actually looks like, but I think if an attractive, thin young woman wore it, it wouldn't be an issue.
I wasn't doing it to brag, but yes, I was implying that someone thinner would get away with it. The Fashion Board has proven many times that society doesn't like seeing bigger people out and about in certain clothes.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well now do you know what the complaint was ?
Can you provide a link other than what the victim claimed ?

There are always 2 sides to a story and we've only heard one side.

I know what you know. That which was what was printed in the story. I'm thinking if you want to believe something else happened, it's up to you to research a link. Not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events