Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:59 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
So let's preemptively kill everything that is peaceful, because it might not stay peaceful.
No, let's leave peaceful things (that are known to not stay that way when meddled with) alone. Then we won't have to kill them after they turn aggressive and maul someone within an inch of their life because we choose to do something stupid (like feeding them).

Let the bears eat berries in the woods, and the hikers eat their trail mix on the trail, and everything will be fine. The only help bears need from us is for us to leave them alone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 03:14 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
No, let's leave peaceful things (that are known to not stay that way when meddled with) alone. Then we won't have to kill them after they turn aggressive and maul someone within an inch of their life because we choose to do something stupid (like feeding them).

Let the bears eat berries in the woods, and the hikers eat their trail mix on the trail, and everything will be fine. The only help bears need from us is for us to leave them alone!
It doesn't make any difference. People are going to continue killing the bears, even if people don't feed them. It's just an excuse, to justify it. If everybody agrees to stop feeding bears, would hunters agree to stop hunting them? Of course not.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:23 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
It doesn't make any difference.
It makes a great deal of difference. Bear populations in areas which still have suitable habitat, and where people are careful to avoid teaching bears that humans and human settlements are good places to find food, are doing just fine. Hunters aren't the major danger to bears. Expanding subdivisions (and the citiots who live in them) are.

Bears don't need us, and we aren't "helping" them in any way when we feed them.

Old 06-18-2019, 03:41 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
In other words it's OK for humans to kill, because we are the most dangerous killing animals on the planet, and it's legal for us to do it. Yet people act all surprised every time we have a mass shooting. OMG another one? How can this keep happening? No idea.
Oh please. This is almost not worth a response but I have some spare time today. There is a galaxy sized difference between someone legally and responsibly hunting/killing for food and someone killing their own species because some deranged mental agenda directs them to. Every independently-animate organism kills something in order to survive. Even some plants do it. I choose not to hunt; there isn't a need to, but that doesn't mean I don't end up killing something in order to eat. Every time I rip the florets off a broccoli plant in a hunger-induced frenzy I've killed something.

If you want to try living off air be my guest. You probably cause the death of some microorganisms just by breathing. If you want to succumb to guilt over all the organisms you've caused the death of during your lifetime knock yourself out. Yes, even the plant fibers used to make your body coverings had to be killed...

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-18-2019 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 09:06 PM

801 posts, read 452,055 times
The people taking selfies with the bear should be put down.
Stupid. Dumb. Selfish. Idiots.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:46 AM

8,753 posts, read 5,050,099 times
I find that the general public is pretty stupid. These animals are really the smart ones.....and yet they are the ones to suffer.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:43 AM

531 posts, read 452,680 times
It's all those damn cartoons. Yogi the Bear. Cute, cuddly, talking critters.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I put the agency that killed the poor bear at blame rather than the guy that took the selfie with it. Most of the people in the comments below the article feel the same way as I do. So now we kill a bear for being friendly, rather than being aggressive. Kill, kill, kill, that is all they know. RIP friendly bear. This was not necessary!!
You don’t know much about bears do you? The worse thing you can do is feed wild animals. Wild animals don’t think like people. They aren’t thinking look a cute human I wanna go there and make friends. You ever go to a national park where they have bears? Notice the big metal containers you put your food in? Notice the signs stating DO NOT FEED THE BEARS. There is a reason for that.

The people to blame are the tards who fed the bear. The problem is relocations the. Ear doesn’t help as he would eventually get to civilization and go looking for food and will actively associate humans with food.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Good. That works for me. And no, I didn't state that that the kitten probably died a horrible death.

For anyone else who cares, read this before feeding raccoons on your property. Indications exist that incidents of baylisascaris procyonis Even if you don't have domestic pets or children (both of which may be more vulnerable to this), encouraging raccoon populations in the neighborhood could put other people's kids and pets at risk.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/baylisascaris/index.html
Really? Its a good thing CD doesn't let you edit days old posts or else I would not have the gem below.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There are plenty of reasons to avoid encouraging raccoons to hang around. I'm not "scared" of them, but I will NOT willingly have them on my property. That kitten you were feeding could have, and perhaps did, die a horrible death because of the cute, friendly raccoons. A lot of people realize this, and that's the reason they'd call animal control. I'm with them.

https://wagwalking.com/cat/condition/raccoon-disease
W O W....... I would say that those words can be classified as saying "probably." And before you try to get desperately technical regarding word usage; "perhaps" is a synonym of probably. By the way thanks for finally posting a link (the CDC one) that actually has some comprehensive information on raccoon roundworm. Since your telling others to read it, I'm assuming you read it as well. Ironically, the link you posted lists dogs and exotic animals as the most likely animals to catch raccoon roundworm. No mention of cats anywhere. I thought it was hilarious that the first objective/educational link you posted affirms what I stated about cats not being a likely host of this type of roundworm.

If I knew I was dealing with the type of person who did what you did above; I would not have wasted my time trying to educate you. I realize now that it was completely pointless. So thanks for the above post it will save me time in the future. I will be sure to ignore your posts and replies to me from this point on.

Last edited by griffon652; 06-20-2019 at 11:06 PM..

Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Please keep your word this time about ignoring my posts from now on. BTW, perhaps is not a synonym of probably, sorry, and there's nothing "desperately technical" about it. Perhaps English isn't your first language?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/probably

Quote:
Synonyms & Antonyms for probably
Synonyms
assumably, doubtless, likely, presumably

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perhaps

Quote:
Definition of perhaps (Entry 1 of 2)
: possibly but not certainly

Definition of perhaps (Entry 2 of 2)
: something open to doubt or conjecture
"Probably" means more likely than not. "Perhaps" means maybe. I'll take the word of Merriam-Webster on this over yours.

You might be able to find it listed as a synonym on some less-than-reliable site, but that's the internet for you. Like this one:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/probably

It also lists "maybe" as a synonym for probably, which any native English speaker knows is simply ridiculous. Thesaurus.com is pretty notorious for getting it wrong, but even it doesn't even have "probably" listed as a synonym for "perhaps" even though it has it the other way around.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/perhaps

Let's take another look at it. It lists pink, salmon, healthy, chestnut, and copper as synonyms for the word "red." What BS, and it proves that the site completely lacks credibility.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/red

By the way, learn how to use apostrophes correctly, and consider using spell check, especially if you're going to try to position yourself as some kind of expert. It's incredibly laughable that you're trying to lecture me on the English language when you clearly don't even know the difference between your and you're, among other things. It was also pretty dumb of you to be feeding the raccoons in the first place, but you know that. I hope the poor kitten who got used to having a regular food source because of you found another way to stay alive after you abruptly stopped feeding it. SMH.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-21-2019 at 12:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events