Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 04:35 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
I wasn't confusing the two, I know the difference. I should have delved a bit more into the details regarding why I said its "relatively rare" for cats to catch this disease. Your correct that it is very easy for a cat to get this disease IF it comes IN PHYSICAL CONTACT with it. However, that's the key. A cat must come in physical contact with it and they seldom do.
Uh, roundworm is very common in cats — and dogs. So no, it isn't rare, and most cats probably get them via secondary transmissions such as exposure to another infected animal in the home (cats may have an instinctual avoidance of feces; dogs don't). Common houseflies often bring them inside, and indoor cats are known to "hunt" houseflies. Outdoor cats may eat birds and rodents infected with them. Florida notwithstanding, it's a valid concern.

https://ugaresearch.uga.edu/deadly-r...hout-symptoms/

Quote:
Raccoons have a tendency to treat porches and stacked firewood as a restroom, Yabsley said. People can touch the firewood or children can crawl through the animal waste and become infected after putting their contaminated fingers in their mouths.
Idk, most reasonably well-informed people where I live are quite aware of the risks of encouraging raccoon populations in residential neighborhoods. Feeding them serves no real purpose beyond human gratification (aren't they cute), anyway, and whether neighbors call their local animal control out of fear or because they'd rather err on the side of caution when it comes to zoonotic diseases, the result is the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 05:12 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
So sad. People are too selfish to stop and consider what is best for the animal.
They could care less about what’s best for the animal. They got to take a selfie with a bear and it will be their crowning achievement on a Monday morning cooler talk at work.

“Hey did you hear about Roger?”
“No what?”
“Guys crazy man. Dude, he took a pic with a wild grizzly bear. That was after the bear attacked him and he fought it off with a pine needle. He’s hot pics on his Facebook page. He eff’ed that bear UP. No joke”
“No way”
“Yeah dude. Susie from accounting was out there with him. They were going on that trip...you know looking for the rainbow unicorn tears”
“Oh yeah I remember them talking about it. I’m gonna log on and check out the pics”

Old 06-17-2019, 03:12 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,683 times
When it comes to wild animals, the behavior of people I have observed in our national parks is unbelievable in its stupidity. Regardless of being told to stay away from the animals, they insist on putting themselves, others and the animal itself in danger. Personally, I'd like to see them put in jail.

Old 06-17-2019, 03:15 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
They could care less about what’s best for the animal. They got to take a selfie with a bear and it will be their crowning achievement on a Monday morning cooler talk at work.

“Hey did you hear about Roger?”
“No what?”
“Guys crazy man. Dude, he took a pic with a wild grizzly bear. That was after the bear attacked him and he fought it off with a pine needle. He’s hot pics on his Facebook page. He eff’ed that bear UP. No joke”
“No way”
“Yeah dude. Susie from accounting was out there with him. They were going on that trip...you know looking for the rainbow unicorn tears”
“Oh yeah I remember them talking about it. I’m gonna log on and check out the pics”
Funny how some people really think that way.
I've found myself up close and personal with grizzly and black bears on many occasions. Taking a selfie should be the last thing on your mind!!!

Old 06-17-2019, 04:09 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Poor bear.

I could care less if someone dies trying to take a selfie, but why involve bears?

https://www.geek.com/news/black-bear...regon-1792218/
Why kill it? Why can't they just trap it and give it to a wild life sanctuary?

Old 06-17-2019, 04:25 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Why kill it? Why can't they just trap it and give it to a wild life sanctuary?
There aren't many wildlife sanctuaries that take bears, and the ones that do are usually full and not accepting any new members.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:33 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
When it comes to wild animals, the behavior of people I have observed in our national parks is unbelievable in its stupidity. Regardless of being told to stay away from the animals, they insist on putting themselves, others and the animal itself in danger. Personally, I'd like to see them put in jail.
It's fundamentally the same behavior you see all too often with crazy cat ladies, who are bound and determined to feed every feral cat that comes to their door (without bothering to vaccinate them and spay/neuter them). It's all about how it makes the feeder feel, not about what is actually in the long-term interest of the animals or the larger ecosystem.

A little education can go a long way, but some people are just fundamentally resistant to it. Even large fines or jail time doesn't always stop their behavior.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:38 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Sadly, it is humans at fault when bears become a danger. Bears are not endangered.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:48 PM

135 posts, read 89,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
To be fair it could have also been a case of very uneducated people. They probably didn't realize the repercussions of their action. The public really should be taught one golden rule regarding wild animals: Unless a wild animal is in some sort of obvious distress LEAVE THEM ALONE.
Leave wild animals alone, period, regardless of whether or not they appear to be in distress. In fact, if an animal is in distress, get the heck out of the area as soon as possible.

A wounded animal can be very dangerous.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:19 PM

10,453 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
There aren't many wildlife sanctuaries that take bears, and the ones that do are usually full and not accepting any new members.
And where is the proof of this? I live in Florida, and there are thousands of sanctuaries. A guy down the street from me has a sanctuary for old circus lions and tigers, and I'm sure he would have found a place for the bear. Sorry, not buying this excuse. Sounds like the park management in Oregon is just heartless and likes to kill first and ask questions later.

They should have trapped it, kept it in a zoo and spread the word that the bear was available for a sanctuary for at least a month. If no one comes forward, then put it to sleep. But, I can't buy that they had no options. It's all BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events