Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 03:04 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Please keep your word this time about ignoring my posts from now on. BTW, perhaps is not a synonym of probably, sorry, and there's nothing "desperately technical" about it. Perhaps English isn't your first language?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/probably

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perhaps

"Probably" means more likely than not. "Perhaps" means maybe. I'll take the word of Merriam-Webster on this over yours.

You might be able to find it listed as a synonym on some less-than-reliable site, but that's the internet for you. Like this one:

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/probably

It also lists "maybe" as a synonym for probably, which any native English speaker knows is simply ridiculous. Thesaurus.com is pretty notorious for getting it wrong, but even it doesn't even have "probably" listed as a synonym for "perhaps" even though it has it the other way around.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/perhaps

Let's take another look at it. It lists pink, salmon, healthy, chestnut, and copper as synonyms for the word "red." What BS, and it proves that the site completely lacks credibility.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/red

By the way, learn how to use apostrophes correctly, and consider using spell check, especially if you're going to try to position yourself as some kind of expert. It's incredibly laughable that you're trying to lecture me on the English language when you clearly don't even know the difference between your and you're, among other things. It was also pretty dumb of you to be feeding the raccoons in the first place, but you know that. I hope the poor kitten who got used to having a regular food source because of you found another way to stay alive after you abruptly stopped feeding it. SMH.
Its hard to ignore someone when they are using ignorant and inaccurate information to attack someone else intelligence/facts. Even your information regarding synonyms above is completely incorrect (see #3). Unlike you who decided to use personal attacks in the above post I will only post factual information regarding your posts. Its actually more humorous that way because I don't have to exaggerate to illustrate just how off the rails your posts are. Don't worry I didn't report you for your personal attack above. I'm not that petty. However, its not very nice to infer that someone is "dumb" or talk to people in a condescending manner like you have in your posts. There are very sensitive people on the internet and you may actually deeply hurt someone emotionally. This is even more reason to stick to facts when you have discussions instead of emotional outbursts.

1. Lets see.....you were completely wrong about the probability of cats getting racoon disease. The best part is you were adamant you were correct even after being given access to a comprehensive study illustrating otherwise. As I said even the last link you posted confirmed this. I see you conveniently ignored all this in your long post above. I wonder why....... Just based on this type of behavior alone, most people would find any information you give to be unreliable. Meaning, you don't know as much as you think because you are never willing to learn anything new. Remember, you are the one who came up with the ridiculous assertion that the kitten could have been a victim to raccoon disease. People have a right to point out when someone is incorrect especially when the information is completely wrong.

2. Speaking of which, the links I posted showed the kitten from my story had a near 0% chance of catching racoon disease. Therefore, I simply corrected you. But then you firmly asserted that you never said that the kitten probably died. How could I not point that out? After all, one of the biggest indicators of unreliability is when someone strongly affirms that they did not say something even when they did. The credibility of the information you provided was already suspect but this just confirms it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

3. Yet you proceeded to dig your hole even further instead of graciously accepting that you were incorrect about the whole thing. I'll be honest, I did not click on a single link from your last rant post. You have already proven that your information in unreliable. So I'm not wasting my time clicking on them. I don't need to. Its hilarious that you cherry picked the one website that didn't list perhaps as a synonym for probably. You do realize that every other website (on googles first page) besides Webster lists those two words as synonyms? But let me go a step further since you decided to make the snide remark of "taking Websters word over mine"

Don't take my word for it or Websters. Take Oxfords. Just like racoon roundworm, I also know more about which publication of the English language is reputable. Oxford is much more credible then Websters. Why you may ask? Webster's concentrates only on "American English" whereas Oxford concentrates on "universal English." If you ask experts on the English language which source to be more reputable/reliable; 9/10 would choose Oxford over Websters. Point I'm making is that according to Oxford "perhaps" is a synonym of "probably." This is why all the other websites mentioned it as a synonym. They followed the example of the most reputable publication. So like I said, your first post clearly meant that you thought that "the kitten probably died from racoon roundworm."

4. Also, the fact that you had to resort to the fallback strategy of every person who has been clearly wrong on the internet proves my point regarding your desperation. I'm talking about correcting my grammar. I hope you realize that this day and age having to resort to correcting minor grammatical errors on the internet is akin to saying "I'm wrong and I have nothing else to fall back on besides picking apart your grammar." No matter how much you try to pick apart my grammar its not going to change the fact that you were wrong regarding every single thing you posted. By the way, you have made numerous grammatical errors in your posts. So the fact that you are trying to correct my grammar is quite amusing.

5. You continued to be wrong by saying the following:

Quote:
It was also pretty dumb of you to be feeding the raccoons in the first place, but you know that. I hope the poor kitten who got used to having a regular food source because of you found another way to stay alive after you abruptly stopped feeding it.
Based on your lack of basic reading comprehension I would think English is not your first language. Go back and read my first post. I think I made it quite clear that I never intentionally fed the raccoons. Unlike your post about the kitten probably dying; mine cannot be interpreted any other way. Next time you decide to try to attack someone on the internet it might be a good idea to make sure you have facts on your side. I'm sorry you did have some facts. However, they were all related to correcting my grammar and had nothing to do with the actual discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 03:15 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,207,641 times
Ban winter bird feeders, put up by people who are too stupid and thoughtless.

What's the difference?

Old 06-21-2019, 03:30 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
I see dodo animal videos on the internet...… and Disney movies.... and Christian the lion youtube clips of a lion cub …. two guys raised then set free then go back and the lion hugs the guy and licks him....

it all looks so happy...and when you watch animal nature clips now.....many people just watch to pet an animal...and yes take pictures..
you also have sectors of animal lovers on the internet......saying animals are all our friends and shouldn't be eaten....

years ago there seemed to be a healthy fear of animals...… but that's not taught anymore... kids are more taught that humans are the evil animals and animals are free...and pure..

its a shame that bear had to be put down because humans started feeding it......but maybe just maybe it will be used as a learnable moment and people will just stop feeding wild animals..

I have bird feeders I enjoy watching birds eat from them...… I see little downside …..but then again maybe im ignorant ...of any harm from them

Old 06-21-2019, 03:49 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,569,634 times
People, due to what they see in entertainment anthropomorphize animals. Wild animals are unpredictable and should not be approached. Several times, I had to stop people in Rocky Mountain National Park, and Estes Park from trying to pet the Elk, or get pictures petting the Elk. One time people surrounded a Moose that was getting a drink in shallow water. Not good. Leave the animals alone.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:53 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Ban winter bird feeders, put up by people who are too stupid and thoughtless.......

Fine with me. I disapprove of turning wild critters into welfare recipients

Bird feeders do kill wild birds. They encourage migrating birds to stick around past the time that they should migrate and that can result in the bird's death.

They encourage a population size that can't be supported by local natural food sources.

The big difference between feeding the birds and feeding the bears is that sparrows and cardinals don't turn into man killers and they don't eat pets and don't rip up the garbage or break car windows.

The difference is a question of scale and destruction. They are both bad for the critters. For the humans, they are done for the same reasons. Human enjoyment of watching the wildlife, or maybe some sort of savior complex where they very oddly think that the wildlife can't survive without them. (actually, that's quite a bit like animal hoarding, certainly a strong parallel).

Bird feeding causes other problems like the increase in the population of rats and other vermin. Bird feeders increase the wild bird death rate due to domestic cat predation.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:03 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times
Sorry, Griffon, but Merriam Webster gets the last word on synonyms here as far as American English usage goes, and any second grader can tell you that the two words don't mean the same thing. That's as far as I got. I'm really not interested in continuing a conversation with someone who doesn't even know the difference between two simple, commonly used words, so save yourself the trouble of crafting further long, droning, overly defensive, and largely contradictory posts. Here's what Oxford has to say about 'perhaps,' though, and it doesn't list probably as a synonym. That's all.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/perhaps

Quote:
perhaps

SYNONYMS
maybe, for all I know, for all you know, it could be, it could be that, it may be, it may be that, it is possible, it is possible that, possibly, conceivably, feasibly

Last edited by Metlakatla; 06-21-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
People, due to what they see in entertainment anthropomorphize animals. Wild animals are unpredictable and should not be approached. Several times, I had to stop people in Rocky Mountain National Park, and Estes Park from trying to pet the Elk, or get pictures petting the Elk. One time people surrounded a Moose that was getting a drink in shallow water. Not good. Leave the animals alone.
I was behind a tourist in a store up near Denali who was asking the clerk questions about area wildlife. He actually asked if people go up to moose and pet them.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:41 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,799,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I was behind a tourist in a store up near Denali who was asking the clerk questions about area wildlife. He actually asked if people go up to moose and pet them.
A bit OT, but one of my all time favorite questions from a visitor was:

"I want to see caves but have claustrophobia. Are you sure all of them are underground?"

and this one:

"How do you keep the wildlife in the park? Do you put them in pens at night so they don't wander away?"

What can one possibly say to people like this?

Old 06-21-2019, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

"I want to see caves but have claustrophobia. Are you sure all of them are underground?"

and this one:

"How do you keep the wildlife in the park? Do you put them in pens at night so they don't wander away?"
One of my favorites (I wasn't being asked, but I overhead it up at Glitter Gulch) was when a guy was insisting that there must be a Wal*Mart nearby. Someone told me they heard a tourist asking how far Sitka was above sea level once.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:35 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,982,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

and this one:

What can one possibly say to people like this?
Nothing (as your jaw had to be hanging open in slack-jawed amazement!).

Can you tell me where the above-ground caves might be located, please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events