Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:49 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,339,567 times

Advertisements

I've said for years, parents should be banned from kid's games

In our area, you cant find refs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 04:44 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,405,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW127 View Post
Hope that guy in the white shirt is arrested. Disgusting
Exactly. Is there any doubt who started this? Another report focused on the guy in the teal shirt and he's not without blame but it started with this clown. I have no idea why it is so difficult to identify the guilty, aren't most of these people known even if they aren't the parents?

Old 06-21-2019, 04:56 AM

50,748 posts, read 36,447,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I've said for years, parents should be banned from kid's games

In our area, you cant find refs
Who would want to be one in this atmosphere?

Old 06-21-2019, 05:12 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,128 times
I dreaded bringing the kids to games. Both soccer and baseball. Let me correct myself, enjoyed going watch them play and put their hearts into it.

At each game there was ALWAYS the parent screaming at their child. Ranging from Why did you swing at that?!? To How can you miss the ball, are you blind?!?

The kids would be upset, embarrassed, crying.

I had enough one day and added to the turmoil. I screamed back at the dad saying that they are children, playing for fun and this isn't the major leagues! Many parents clapped and cheered me on. Included the umpires and referees. He wanted to fight. I went to meet him, I was so peed off. Well others came with me and the other guy changed his behavior.

Really felt great turning the tables and shaming him out.

I hate to imagine what these kids go through at home when they mess up...

Enjoy the game people. Let them have fun. So what if they mess up or the umpire makes a bad call, which they do in occasion. Nobody is perfect!

Old 06-21-2019, 05:29 AM

1,665 posts, read 974,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I can see just from living life how differently people interact with each other across all manner of social events, how they interact with neighbors, school personnel, etc, etc. This is not happening in a vacuum. People are shorter fused today vs then. People feel more entitled to question authority today than they did then. People feel angrier and are quicker to fight over trivial things than they used to be. I don't need stats to tell me there was less road rage then, because I was alive and drove back then and I'm alive and drive today, and I can see the difference. Same with this. I don't need stats and I'm not making assumptions, I'm telling you how it was then based on my living through it and interacting with people. Of course there were angry people then too, but it was not like it is today, it just wasn't.
Couldn't have said it any better!!!

Old 06-21-2019, 06:38 AM

17,614 posts, read 17,649,156 times
The difference between today and in the past is the number of people who behave as if this is acceptable behavior. I played ball starting in the mid 70s. Our home at the time bordered the field where little league tournaments regularly happened giving us opportunities to watch tournaments even when I wasn’t playing. Sure there were the occasional coach or parent getting angry but the majority of the parents and field staff didn’t behave this way and they disapproved of such behavior. Most times this was enough to get the coach or parent to back off or leave. Today even the mothers are getting violent. At this age level this is suppose to be a friendly fun game for the kids to play and the parents to enjoy with fond memories of their child. Only legitimate excuse for a parent to become violent at a little league game is to protect children from an attack. I wonder if the major league player paychecks are one of the things driving such behavior among parents. Also wonder if the action of MLB players storming the field to battle on TV and replayed regularly on news broadcast played a part in the rise of such behavior.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:49 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,614 times
I was a LL coach back in the 70's in New Hampshire......never saw anything like that.
people didn't even like to boo or swear in front of the kids.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,738,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Still don't know what the call was about. Something with a player out of batting order?

Why was the umpire not an adult?

It's a crazy world

According to more recent reports, it wasn’t about a call from the 13 year old umpire but due to one of the coaches telling a mom to “shut the f*** up”. Apparently there was tension between the two teams from their previous game as well.
https://kdvr.com/2019/06/20/parents-...nded-in-brawl/

Old 06-21-2019, 09:33 AM

9,822 posts, read 11,542,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Still don't know what the call was about. Something with a player out of batting order?

Why was the umpire not an adult?

It's a crazy world
With working parents it's hard to get Adult umpires. Sometimes you have Boy Scouts or high Schools looking to get extra credit. Lots of these Volunteer kids have been vetted and trained by their respective leagues, so a lot of time they know the rules as good as the Coaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
I dreaded bringing the kids to games. Both soccer and baseball. Let me correct myself, enjoyed going watch them play and put their hearts into it.

At each game there was ALWAYS the parent screaming at their child. Ranging from Why did you swing at that?!? To How can you miss the ball, are you blind?!?

The kids would be upset, embarrassed, crying.

I had enough one day and added to the turmoil. I screamed back at the dad saying that they are children, playing for fun and this isn't the major leagues! Many parents clapped and cheered me on. Included the umpires and referees. He wanted to fight. I went to meet him, I was so peed off. Well others came with me and the other guy changed his behavior.

Really felt great turning the tables and shaming him out.

I hate to imagine what these kids go through at home when they mess up...

Enjoy the game people. Let them have fun. So what if they mess up or the umpire makes a bad call, which they do in occasion. Nobody is perfect!
As a Little League and AYSO Soccer Coach I commend you
Goes back to what i saying that, parents really thinking that their kid is the next Mike Trout. Helicopter Parents i think is the term.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:36 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,304,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post
Noon news says one person injured. Some people may face felony charges.

There is certainly evidence in the video for assault and battery.

I wonder if there could also be charges for reckless endangerment of children, or whatever the technical expression might be under the statutes of the state where these possible crimes occurred.

Indeed, the perpetrators really should be criminally prosecuted, arraigned and, if charges were to pass grand jury, tried.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events